Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #121
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
I agree with almost everything you said, except I think the cop seemed like an old pro at the intimidation thing.

I refer to it as "copitude." As in having "copitude."

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #122
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post

FYI, most police pensions are funded during service as part of their compensation. Pensions are administered and paid by the Teamsters, not the tax payers.

An earned and vested pension can't be denied.
What? Washington State police have a state and sometimes local pension. I find no links to teamsters and Las Vegas police. Most public pensions are not funded during service (but should be). A 2011 Congressional Budget Office report shows that public pensions are underfunded at least $700 billion dollars. There is an ongoing question on whether the current Stockton, CA, city bankruptcy can include an end to the city funding their pension obligations to the California Public Employee Retirement System.

Earned and vested pensions are denied every day. If they aren't fully funded then a simple bankruptcy filing can take it all away. Take the case of the bakers union and Hostess Brands. First, the bakers agreed for part of their wages to go to their pension. The hedge funds that owned Hostess Brands "borrowed" the wage contribution without telling the bakers then filed for bankruptcy. The bankruptcy judge deemed the "borrowings" to be unsecured creditors and the bakers lost their wage contributions into the pockets of the hedge funders. The second bankruptcy of Hostess Brands resulted in nothing for the workers. The new owners of the Hostess Brands is blacklisting the former union bakers.

PT Rider screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 09:00 PM
PT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #123
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Rider View Post
What? Washington State police have a state and sometimes local pension. I find no links to teamsters and Las Vegas police. Most public pensions are not funded during service (but should be). A 2011 Congressional Budget Office report shows that public pensions are underfunded at least $700 billion dollars. There is an ongoing question on whether the current Stockton, CA, city bankruptcy can include an end to the city funding their pension obligations to the California Public Employee Retirement System.

Earned and vested pensions are denied every day. If they aren't fully funded then a simple bankruptcy filing can take it all away. Take the case of the bakers union and Hostess Brands. First, the bakers agreed for part of their wages to go to their pension. The hedge funds that owned Hostess Brands "borrowed" the wage contribution without telling the bakers then filed for bankruptcy. The bankruptcy judge deemed the "borrowings" to be unsecured creditors and the bakers lost their wage contributions into the pockets of the hedge funders. The second bankruptcy of Hostess Brands resulted in nothing for the workers. The new owners of the Hostess Brands is blacklisting the former union bakers.
The screwup here is that the unions allowed the investors to regulate the pension fund. The unions should have done it with court administered oversight.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote