Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Off topic, but the 650 v strom was on my short list for my next bike, but after reading over $200 for a fuel filter, and over $700 for a fuel pump, the 650 v strom might be moving more towards the bottom of my short list.
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
Off topic, but the 650 v strom was on my short list for my next bike, but after reading over $200 for a fuel filter, and over $700 for a fuel pump, the 650 v strom might be moving more towards the bottom of my short list.
What's your list look like?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
Big Toe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Don't worry the V-Strom is about the most realible bike out there. I know many people with over 100,000 mi. with no problems.
Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,667
FWIW, my understanding is that the fuel pump itself has a very low rate of failure.

However, my reading shows that the integrated high-pressure fuel filter inside the pump assembly often gets clogged. Replacing the (expensive) filter, or bypassing it and using an external automotive filter solves the low-flow problem.

I should be able to fix it tomorrow for ~$50.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You did read that I have over 116,000 miles on my bike right? Factory fuel pump. Factory fuel filter.

The problem is that the filter is not easily replaceable. There are instructions floating around the web on how to bypass the filter and replace it with an automotive inline type.

But I can understand your hesitance. I'm going to have trouble trusting this POS after letting me down this one time.

Jamie

Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
What's your list look like?
The cb500x (w/ABS) was number one after I sat on one at the north american motorcycle show Number two was the 650 v strom, sat a little high, but that can be corrected, and it has better wind protection than the cb500x, and should be better if I ever have to jump on the freeway. Number three is the NT700v, but do not like the idea of side loading plastic bags. And number four is the NC700x, I will have to go take a second look, but sitting on the bike, something just felt off that I could not put my finger on (plus no ABS with the standard shift). I will be replacing a 2003 750 honda ace, I just want to get my feet back under me, and let my legs take some of the bumps in the road, other than my lower back.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
The cb500x (w/ABS) was number one after I sat on one at the north american motorcycle show Number two was the 650 v strom, sat a little high, but that can be corrected, and it has better wind protection than the cb500x, and should be better if I ever have to jump on the freeway. Number three is the NT700v, but do not like the idea of side loading plastic bags. And number four is the NC700x, I will have to go take a second look, but sitting on the bike, something just felt off that I could not put my finger on (plus no ABS with the standard shift). I will be replacing a 2003 750 honda ace, I just want to get my feet back under me, and let my legs take some of the bumps in the road, other than my lower back.
Can't go wrong with any of those. I'd price out a replacement fuel pump on one of the Hondas before I passed judgement. The Strom pump is not a typical point of failure, even in this thread it seems to me Jamie has some bad gas, not a bad pump.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #23
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
and should be better if I ever have to jump on the freeway.
Just ride down to the burger joint and back, or what?

Jamie, you might try just pulling the tank, draining the fuel, and putting 1 good gallon of fuel in the tank to see if it goes. Water in the fuel sits on the bottom, where bikes pull from...
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
Jamie, you might try just pulling the tank, draining the fuel, and putting 1 good gallon of fuel in the tank to see if it goes. Water in the fuel sits on the bottom, where bikes pull from...
Well, even the fuel flow rate was well below spec, and the high-pressure filter is known to clog up.

Bad fuel or no, it's pretty clear that I need a new filter.

So... what do I do with the bad gas. Everyone says to drain it. Where?

Jamie

Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #25
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Well, even the fuel flow rate was well below spec, and the high-pressure filter is known to clog up.

Bad fuel or no, it's pretty clear that I need a new filter.

So... what do I do with the bad gas. Everyone says to drain it. Where?

Jamie
Set it on fire. Somewhere safe.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #26
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
You are correct, I just had that photo burned into my head. I would be changing the filter as well. Wish mine was a candidate for the bypass...

Old gas gets metered into a V-8, with fuel injection, so it does not care if it is not like new. Gas like your photo goes into a large bowl, set outside and allowed to evaporate. I wish the places that accepted hazardous wastes (like old paint) would take it.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #27
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Set it on fire. Somewhere safe.
That'll be fun.

I live in an apartment complex.

I just filled it with five gallons of fresh gas... seems that most of that should be fine if I siphon it carefully.

Jamie

Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #28
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
That'll be fun.

I live in an apartment complex.

I just filled it with five gallons of fresh gas... seems that most of that should be fine if I siphon it carefully.

Jamie
Get two 5 gallon buckets. Dump as much as you can of your tank into one of the buckets. Water settles to the bottom so you should be able to pour the good fuel off the top into the other bucket. Then pour the rest of your tank into the bucket the with water and pour as much of that into the other before the water starts to go over the the lip. You can put the good bucket back into the bike.

It will probably be hard starting at first because you've got the fuel lines filled with water. You could pull the fuel rail and drain it. (you might need to pull the throttle bodies to do that though, I can't remember)

Don't forget to drill the high pressure filter and do the external filter mod and you should be as good as new.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Flashmo;20858657]Just ride down to the burger joint and back, or what?

Sometimes Ya got to leave work on friday and try to make it to the campgrounds where the good riding is before it gets to late, but always seem to set up camp in the dark, or have to jump on I-75 to get across the Big Mac.
Burger King, I'll build a fire and cook over it.

Getting ready to cross the Big Mac.

theloop screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 05:42 PM
Old 03-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #30
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You did read that I have over 116,000 miles on my bike right? Factory fuel pump. Factory fuel filter.

The problem is that the filter is not easily replaceable. There are instructions floating around the web on how to bypass the filter and replace it with an automotive inline type.

But I can understand your hesitance. I'm going to have trouble trusting this POS after letting me down this one time.

Jamie
Thanks Jamie, I didn't notice that you had that many miles on your bike, I could wind up with the v strom since it is sounding like the cb500x may be in short supply on early production.