User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
dragopjd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
water logged GS

Forded a stream with my 2007 Adv, about 18" deep and 50' wide. Got 90% across and bike stalled. Started up after 10 mins or so and ran fine for 10-15 miles. Stalled again, then ran fine. Checked oil and was coffee colored and quite thin. Changed oil and all seems ok. Before oil change ran bike for 20-30 miles with with crappy water logged oil....a problem?
dragopjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
JoshBMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Coffee colored as in coffee with milk color? Then you got water in the oil, to be honest what ever damage was going to be done has been.

You changed the oil and ran her. Hopefuly this is a no harm no foul deal, if she is making power and no other issues then you are proably fine.

I would change ALL the oils to be safe. If engen oil got water in it....

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." Don Nelson my friend gone from us, 06/06/04.
JoshBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Core10metal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Sell the pig and get a refined sow like the water cooled GS.
I'll give you $2000
Core10metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
It is never good to run a bike with watered down oil. That said, you never know. Might be no damage, might be a lot. Only time will tell!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
lanceputnam
Hayden's Dad

Oddometer: 428
How'd you manage to flood her in 18" of water? Push her through on her side while pinning the throttle?

2012 BMW R1200 GS-Rallye
lanceputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceputnam View Post
How'd you manage to flood her in 18" of water? Push her through on her side while pinning the throttle?
Speed kills!

Jim
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBMW View Post
Coffee colored as in coffee with milk color? Then you got water in the oil, to be honest what ever damage was going to be done has been.

You changed the oil and ran her. Hopefuly this is a no harm no foul deal, if she is making power and no other issues then you are proably fine.

I would change ALL the oils to be safe. If engen oil got water in it....
I would second this. first what is done is done. I am surprised you got water in the engine oil. I am always afraid of getting it in the air box. but final drive oil I would suspect must have water in it if you got it in the engine, there is a vent opening on the top. also might as well change the transmission oil.

if you did get some moisture in the air box (at 18" that should be hard but possible) but not enough to hydraulic the engine (nothing broken and, well, it started) you could have fowled the plugs a bit which could cause it to be hard to idle. I would pull them out and check. at least one, they are easy to get to.

wb5plj screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 06:44 AM Reason: im an idiot.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb5plj View Post
I would second this. first what is done is done. I am surprised you got water in the engine oil. I am always afraid of getting it in the air box. but final drive oil I would suspect must have water in it if you got it in the engine, there is a vent opening on the top. also might as well change the transmission oil.

if you did get some moisture in the air box (at 18" that should be hard but possible) but not enough to hydraulic the engine (nothing broken and, well, it started) you could have fowled the plugs a bit which could cause it to be hard to idle. I would pull them out and check. at least one, they are easy to get to.
The 07 has no vent in the FD. The intake is just above the cylinder, so it isn't too hard to get water in the intake, and then the motor. If the bike is laying on its side the water can run into the motor. Further, make sure the trans has no water in it. It does have a vent on top.

Jim
Old 04-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
dragopjd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thanks for all your replies....the bike was never on it's side, rode right through stream...my theory is that I went through steam too fast and water splashed up into airbox...as I mentioned, I changed oil after about 20 miles and just got back home after riding about 800 miles since incident...bike is running great, but I guess I may have to change all fluids
dragopjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Core10metal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I was right behind him on a 2012 GSA and mine stalled as well. Started right up though and no signs of cappuccino oil. Changing fluids this weekend regardless.
That was a great ride btw
Core10metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #11
EODMatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
So with all this said, how is one supposed to go through any stream above 6 inches without fear one getting water in everything? Are there modifications that should be done before taking on a puddle? I just got my new 13GSA and I wasnt aware of any type of vents to be worried about on fd or trans. Just curious to know what the capabilities are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
EODMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #12
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODMatt View Post
So with all this said, how is one supposed to go through any stream above 6 inches without fear one getting water in everything? Are there modifications that should be done before taking on a puddle? I just got my new 13GSA and I wasnt aware of any type of vents to be worried about on fd or trans. Just curious to know what the capabilities are.

You can transform your gs into a submarine. (use a oiled foam filter, the paper ones turn to slush when they get wet.

It alsow makes a great vacumecleaner for when your tent is full of dust and bugs!

2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODMatt View Post

You can easily do 12-18" IF you keep your speed down. Splashing up over the cylinder is what causes water to be drawn into the intake.

This isn't a dirt bike, and should not be ridden like one, especially in water.

Jim
Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,871
After extensive testing for nearly two decades, BMW has figured out the benefit of placing the intake up nice and high!
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote