User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,812
Poor visibility = PAIN!

Riding along at about 35-40 mph, following friends on a dusty road, and didn't see the tree sticking out from the right side of the road. It caught me in the right bicep, which made me jerk the handlebars hard right, which resulted in the bike going down hard on the left side. My arm and wrist hurt like hell, and so does my left knee but the Klim Dakar pant armor helped a bit there. (It's pretty rocky around here.) Buggered up my left shoulder, maybe my collarbone, and might have separated a rib near my sternum, my left knee and hip, but don't think anything is broken. I need a new helmet and turn signals, and a mirror base.
In the pic below, you can see the tree sticking out from pic left, behind the bike. It's about 3-4" in diameter and didn't move when I hit it. The pic is a little misleading, the tree is maybe six feet behind the bike.
So I went from 35 to zero in six feet, as my bike slammed me into the hard rocky ground.

Ouch.

Takeaway here is don't do what I did- ride into a lot of dust, too fast, and then into shade. If you can't see, you'll hit stuff you don't know is there. If I'd backed off a little, instead of trying to catch my friends, I would of had better visibility and just skirted the tree, like I did for many other ones earlier in the day.

Learn from my stupidity.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Vacman
Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer: 177
Poor visibility = PAIN!

Sorry to hear it. I've had my share of close calls riding in other's wakes and now I'm content to ride sweep, wait for the dust to settle and ride my own ride. Way more fun for me that way. Heal soon! :)
Old 09-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,946
Ouch, sounds painful 1911!

Get ready for the real pain to hit tomorrow - don't get behind on the meds.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #4
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,369
I hit a tree just like that a few years ago, solo riding and no dust, I just did not clear it enough because of the ruts in the road and the sun/shadow on the trail.
I got it in the hand/handlebars.

I wish they cut more tree when they clear roads like that...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 695
Shade is much more dangerous than it's generally given credit for.
Roots, branches, mud, ice, soft spots in the road, animals, big rocks - all kinds of crap can hide there.

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I know people that do that on purpose. They go up there in the snow, or want to be the first ones in that spring. They drive Jeeps, and take pride in cutting the downed trees just short enough that a jeep can pass but a full-size truck can't.
One of them is a friend/hunting partner, and every time he does that while we're out we have the argument. " Just move the chainsaw over two feet, it's not gonna kill you." "But then trucks can follow us in!" BFD
Now I have fresh ammunition. I hit the tree Saturday afternoon, Sunday was painful, but Monday... oh boy. I went to work with my right arm in a sling because it hurt to extend it, but the sling rested on the left collarbone which may, in fact, be broken.
We have a former nurse at work who taught me a helpful thing: Ibuprofen and Tylenol, taken together, are far more effective than aspirin or ibuprofen separately. Start with four ibuprofen and one Tylenol, then every 4-5 hours as needed take two ibuprofen and one Tylenol. Certainly made my afternoon easier.

And yes, ride your own ride as suggested above. Riding sweep means riding last, so back off far enough to see and enjoy the ride.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Ouch! You may want to go get a few x-rays taken...

Hope you heal up fast and I recognize that tail rack...
Old 09-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
My worst was catching my right footpeg on a tree stump, hidden by shadow and bushy overgrowth.

I was going a fairly good clip, and stopped completely dead. Well, the bike did, I continued and flipped ass over tea kettle a few times based on the distance away from the bike when I sat up. ie: the infamous: "huh? Where's the bike?"

Fortunately I don't ride with my toes pointed down below the bottom level of my foot pegs! I don't even want to know what that impact would have done to my foot/lower leg...

This taught me to be much more scaredy cat blasting through bushes at footpeg height.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

And who are "they"?

In my neck of the wood, this is done by people like you and me, i.e. users of the said trail. The city/province/state/whatever won't send their crew to clear an unofficial trail.

So "they" may be "you". I wish you cut more tree when you clear the trail then.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,369
Around here, the rangers clear the roads I think, they likely drive most of them once a week or more often.
Not sure they would allow you to cut anything in the forest...

Oh, and my sistor is a nurse, and says the leading csause of organ failure is over the counter drugs, they can blow out your liver and kidney's very quickly.
Be VERY careful with that stuff, and I would not mix it.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Funny, was a nurse that told me to combine them. Worked, too. I'm off them now anyway- a couple Bayer Extra Strength at bedtime seems to work. Saving the Percocet for when I really need it.
I plan to go back up there and cut the log back about three feet when I can run a saw. Hoping I heal up fast, just bought an '04 DRZ 400 I'm itching to ride. :)

1911fan

Old 09-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
EntiatRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Ouch. Glad you can ride again. Sorry bout your pain though. Not fun. I still have injuries from my last wipeout so I feel your pain. We just don't heal as quickly anymore, at our age!
EntiatRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Dammit... You're about the 57th person to tell me that. (I'm 57.) I did get xrayed, no broken bones but some impressive bruising. Had a nice rainbow on my arm where I ran into the tree.

1911fan

Old 10-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,979
I would love to hear the rationale for the Ibuprofen/Tylenol regimin. I sold non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for many years and it never ceased to amaze me with the crap people come up with.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

I have no idea, being neither chemist nor doctor. I can say that since then, my wife has been in the ER and the same mix was recommended. I can also say that it worked, at least when my pain was acute.

1911fan