Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #241
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,630
I find it interesting to see where the bike is going to go over the cliff and then the time it takes for you to utter those words while you are on the way down. I am not poking it is just interesting to watch how long it takes our brain to process the information........

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #242
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
since I was 9 yo. I don't know everything and I ain't shit on a bike but I have to call B/S when I see it. REALLY 100% of the time? B/S. Think about it REALLY. Sorry, Don't want to start a pissin match in your thread but enough of the arm chair 1/4 backing. The guy had an accident, it happens, thankfully he lived through it, let it go.
Just because you've been doing something for a long time doesn't mean that your any good at. You even admitted it yourself.

Yes. I really do cover the levers _every_single_second_ I'm on a bike.

I do the exact same thing on a mountain bike, and a road bike...
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #243
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I'm making it a point to start practicing stoppies in the dirt. Thanks for making the thread.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #244
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
You must be a god on what ever you ride. Think about your statement,

You must be a god on what ever you ride. Think about your statement, a long time doesn't mean that your any good at. You even admitted it yourself.

Yes. I really do cover the levers _every_single_second_ I'm on a bike.

I do the exact same thing on a mountain bike, and a road bike...[/QUOTE]

"100% of the time" you'll never convince me that's possible. I don't care how good you think you are. You go on believing that but if you take the time to pay attention to what you really do you'll most likely find you don't. I'm a realist. I know nobody is perfect, including myself.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #245
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
"100% of the time" you'll never convince me that's possible.
I don't see why it shouldn't be possible. Depending on one's hand size, lever positioning and whatnot, it's very likely that it's actually MORE comfortable to ride with a couple of fingers on each hand covering the levers. That has certainly been the case for me. I've always ridden with always having two fingers on the levers.

I admit that I've never ridden dirt, so I've never had to deal with transitions between seated and standing, but for my street bikes, covering the levers just felt the most natural. I do exactly the same thing with my mountain bike: two fingers on each lever all the time.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #246
JOKER650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
Glad that you came out of it in good shape, and thanks for all the information you are giving us .
That is a crash that could have ended very badly(or worse than it did) .

You mentioned about (hmm, can't remember the exact wording) riding conservatively.
What I have found is that can be a recipe for disaster. I find it lulls me into a relaxed state that is not conducive to technical riding.
I feel a more aggressive approach to all types of riding will have a better outcome , it keeps your wits sharp.
It's kinda like driving your car at the posted speed limit....it gets pretty boaring after a while and your mind wanders.

Thanks for the great video

edit: Just for the record.
I never cover the levers. Been riding for 40 years(yikes!) and have never covered them. Well I should not say 'never' because I have tried, but I can't do it, it doesn't feel right.
I hang on to the bars and it's served me well. I never understood why riders do it, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Over 2000 plated dirt riders...Digg'n up the dirt every other day, all over BC

http://www.dualsportbc.com/

JOKER650 screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 08:49 PM
JOKER650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #247
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I had upgraded to Eibach springs and Intimidators in the front and Eibach spring and Cogent rebuild on the rear so its pretty well sorted for a DR. Although since my upgrade I have heard that Racetech Emulators are suppose to be a better option in the front where primary use is in the dirt which is my case.
Looks like the front was in the air just before hitting the edge and veering off.
If the suspension was extended whilst in the air, only the Intiminators heavy chassis damping would have been in effect. If the wheel had rolled through the dip, the front would have hit the square edge and bought the inertia valve into play.

Intiminators love square edged bumps, not so much love for ramped bumps.

Ride over the 3cm high 90* lip of a raised manhole cover and you will hardly notice it. If that same cover has an asphalt lip ramping up to it, you'll feel it back through the bars all right.

NordieBoy screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 08:53 PM
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #248
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
I don't know everything and I ain't shit on a bike but I have to call B/S when I see it. REALLY 100% of the time? B/S. Think about it REALLY.
You don't?
My index fingers sit on the levers. All the time.
On a ride to the shops, adventure ride in the hills or a 6-hour cross country race.
Some of us do cover the levers 100% of the time.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #249
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,224
I almost rear ended someone in heavy traffic because I was covering the front brake lever.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #250
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I almost rear ended someone in heavy traffic because I was covering the front brake lever.
Explain how?

I'm another who always covers the levers, and have done for over 40 years of riding. To me, it is the single biggest improvement you can make to enhance your riding safety.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #251
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
You guys cover the front brake when accelerating?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #252
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Yep.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #253
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
You people that "cover the levers 100% of the time"...

I'll just say this and I'll leave it alone, Do you ever take your hand of the bars to: scratch an itch, wipe the dust from your gps, raise or lower your face shield, wipe the rain from you face shield, fiddle with you gps/i-phone/something in the tank bag, adjust your mirrors, etc, etc....?

If you do then you DON'T cover your levers 100% of the time and you allow that window of opportunity to open. Personally I don't know how anybody can ride and not do some of these things, REALLY? Like I said I'm a realist.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #254
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Yep. Just like somebody...who was it ARZ?...said, even when accelerating, the brake fingers are outstretched toward the lever.

Yeah, yeah...it's just splitting hairs but no, I won't claim that absolutely 100% of the time on the bike that I'm covering the levers, but it's virtually 100%. My fingers come off the levers when my hands come off the bars, for whatever reason. But in any normal riding situation, if my hands are on the grips, my fingers are on the levers.

I didn't always ride with the levers covered, and there was a time where it felt unnatural to me, or I like I couldn't control or hold on to the bike without all four fingers on the bars. I also questioned how pro off-road racers could ride that way. I mean, come on...how can you steer the bike without really gripping the bars? However, once I got it through my head how much covering the levers all the time would improve my control of the bike, I began to force myself to ride with two fingers on the clutch lever and two fingers on the brake, all the time. End result, notably better control of the bike under all conditions.

Believe me, there was a fairly long period of time while I learned the technique - developed the 'muscle memory' to make it natural. I'd catch myself riding without my fingers on the levers, and I'd have to consciously make myself put them back. Over time, it became less and less conscious and more and more subconscious, to the point where when I sit on literally any bike for the first time or hundredth, my index and middle fingers are sitting on the levers.

Covering the levers is a learned behavior, and like anything you need to practice it if you want it to become natural. It has nothing to do with whether you have big or small hands, mighty or moderate strength...anybody can learn it. For the record, I'm of the small hands, moderate strength crowd. Contrary to what you might think, once you've got it, you'll be less likely to experience things like arm pump or fatigue, even in rough off-road terrain. The next step to simply covering the levers is really learning how to use them - but that's getting even further off topic for this thread.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #255
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Yep. Just like somebody...who was it ARZ?...said, even when accelerating, the brake fingers are outstretched toward the lever.
Yep, exactly. The only time the front brake isn't covered is on the street when at full throttle the index finger is sticking straight out, and because i want to make sure i close the throttle before applying the brake it works nicely. For dirt I regrip-overgrip when i'm exiting the turn and are planning on full throttle because if you don't your elbows drop and that's bad.

Quote:
I didn't always ride with the levers covered, and there was a time where it felt unnatural to me, or I like I couldn't control or hold on to the bike without all four fingers on the bars. I also questioned how pro off-road racers could ride that way. I mean, come on...how can you steer the bike without really gripping the bars?
I'm sure have found this already, but it's because if you're hanging onto the bars tightly you will arm pump. Have to grip with your legs and the hands are free to precisely control the bike versus try to stay on it.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote