Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #271
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
I didn't make these statements...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
Yep. You're 100% literal, 100% of the time. I'm sure it must lead to some interesting disagreements:

A: "I always wear my seatbelt. ATGATT!"
B: "I call BS. You're telling me you wear your belt while taking a crap?"

...So I don't own them, and yes I've had some interesting disagreements because people sometimes speak before they think, myself included but I try not to make statements like "I cover the levers 100% of the time when I ride" when it's not really the fact. I also have not chimed in here and tried to explain to Joe from SF what he did wrong, could have done differently or should have done differently. I've had the same thing happen with a different outcome. Joe obviously has anylized this over and over again, kudos to him for posting this up and leaving himself wide open for critisism and being a class act the whole way. No, I'm not a very popular guy sometimes but that's ok. I accept that. I hope you all ride safe and never have anything bad happen to you. Keep those levers covered.
Ride on.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #272
Chivvalry
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Glad you made it thru with such minor injuries. A 12 foot fall could have been one helluva lot worse... your luck was fantastic.

Thanks for posting this up and all your thoughts on it... affirms the choice of a SPOT as an essential piece of safety equipment on rides. The various pieces of "analysis" and "feedback" contained in the thread have been enlightening as well. My dirt experience at this point is minimal and out of date so I am trying to soak up dos and don'ts as I go through some of these threads and you sharing your experience here has been very valuable to me.

Chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #273
Kampfire
Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer: 105
I was catching up on this thread and some retro rock came on,
so I just had to share what a fellow Adventure Rider once wrote (and recorded, yes- trivia)

"What's the deal? Spin the wheel.
If the dice are hot, take a shot.
Play your cards. Show us what you got,
What you're holding.
If the cards are cold,
Don't go folding.
Lady Luck is golden,
She favors the bold. That's cold.
Stop throwing stones,
The night has a thousand saxophones.
So get out there and rock,
And roll the bones.
Get busy!

Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones "

Corny? Silly? Yes, maybe.........But we ride and flirt with the "what if's" every time we ride. I can only hope to make that trail someday.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650, keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser, goes where I want to and need to
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #274
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 955

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #275
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
...So I don't own them, and yes I've had some interesting disagreements because people sometimes speak before they think, myself included but I try not to make statements like "I cover the levers 100% of the time when I ride" when it's not really the fact.
In the spirit of smooth conversation, I often find it helpful to agree with what I know to be the spirit of a statement rather than choose to pick apart a literal impossibility. I understand the impossibility of speaking in absolutes. That said, it's just not functional to dispute "always cover the levers" when it's understood -- or should be -- that the meaning amounts to "(endeavor to) always cover the levers (as much as possible)".

Getting back on topic: The plunge that the OP had has given me a hint that I might want to take an offroad riding course prior to trying anything even remotely gnarly. Originally, I had thought to just start off easy and work my way up on my own. Now I'm not so sure that's the best idea.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #276
Vaalseun
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercylinder View Post
Man! Glad to see that you are okay. At least since you made a comment here. Again, Glad you're okay. Take care.
Thanks for posting Joe you are surely one lucking rider who were Spared to do some more biking!
Respect
Vaalseun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #277
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,227
I always cover the levers, 99.9999999% of the time.
Glad your ok Joe, that was a nasty get-off

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #278
ARZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfire View Post
I was catching up on this thread and some retro rock came on,
so I just had to share what a fellow Adventure Rider once wrote (and recorded, yes- trivia)

"What's the deal? Spin the wheel.
If the dice are hot, take a shot.
Play your cards. Show us what you got,
What you're holding.
If the cards are cold,
Don't go folding.
Lady Luck is golden,
She favors the bold. That's cold.
Stop throwing stones,
The night has a thousand saxophones.
So get out there and rock,
And roll the bones.
Get busy!

Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones "

Corny? Silly? Yes, maybe.........But we ride and flirt with the "what if's" every time we ride. I can only hope to make that trail someday.
I loves me some Rush!!!

Its funny how music finds its way to you at just the right time.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #279
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Glad the OP is ok. Pretty hairy crash. The phenomenon of people riding with cameras, and thereby recording their crashes, has lead to some interesting data. It turns out that the last thing you said, "F*ck", and "S*it", are the most common last things said before impact in 48 of the 50 states. In Utah, it's actually "Oh, my heck!" In Wisconsin, it's "Hold my beer, I'm gonna try something."

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #280
jsb223
ADV Rookie

Oddometer: 1,155
That line "where the f*** is the road?" is gonna be burned in
my mind like "we're gonna need a bigger boat"

EPIC
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #281
27Firehouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Im glad your ok, that was one of those disturbing videos that you take to heart and look at and even though you posted it, when your sitting there and you fell over when sitting there trying to figure out what the hell happend, I was like, dont tell me im watching you go into a coma and maybe not come out. Ive been in the ems/firefighting world for 20 years and even that had me cringing! Ive had some scary hits in hare scramble racing but that was by far the craziess thing ive seen, especially on video. Props to your buddy Darrell and all the help of the other riders and EMS. Ride safe Joe.
27Firehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #282
letank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Glad to see that you can tell us about your adventure. Analysis is always a hard one to figure out.

Did you figure out why the bike was running poorly? Fuel, loose electrical?

Michel
letank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #283
27Firehouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Sorry guys, i dont mean to vent, but sometimes things just happen that you just dont expect. I had what turned out to be a stump that thru me into a tree that damn near ended my life and riding. Shit happens!. Take it for what it is and realize things happen weather on the street or on the trail. Be thankful hes ok and think about the possible things we have to deal with for the freedom of riding. Nothing more, nothing less. It is what it is. Like life, you never know the what the next day or next step will bring you.
27Firehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #284
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Firehouse View Post
Sorry guys, i dont mean to vent, but sometimes things just happen that you just dont expect. I had what turned out to be a stump that thru me into a tree that damn near ended my life and riding. Shit happens!. Take it for what it is and realize things happen weather on the street or on the trail. Be thankful hes ok and think about the possible things we have to deal with for the freedom of riding. Nothing more, nothing less. It is what it is. Like life, you never know the what the next day or next step will bring you.
That's right, it happens fast and most of the time when you least expect it. Just an example...lets not try to analyze this one, it was posted somewhere else and has already been analyzed here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzW0IZ8L_8

Other than to say glad your OK...all the speculation on coulda, shoulda, woulda is pointless. If you have ever been to or watched a Pro Race on TV, I'm pretty sure at some point in time you will witness a top rider bite it hard, be it road racing, MX/SX, Endurocross, when it happens it happens fast. Cheers to you Joe..."Old Guys Rule"!

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 08:39 PM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #285
Mtn^^West^^DS
Mtn West Dual Sport

Oddometer: 17
Eh? Epic footage.

Joe, glad you are ok. That could have been really bad. No way I am letting my wife watch that video! I rode that trail in June last year, but I rode down that section. I remember on the ride down thinking to myself, "I sure hope I don't have to turn around and come back up this!" My DR650 was loaded about as heavy as yours appeared to be.

Later in the year I rode a section of road near Moab and had a very similar experience, except I suddenly found myself veering to the left UP a cliff, stalling with my feet dangling in the air while momentarily paused at the apex of the 3 foot hill climb, then just as suddenly continuing the fall to the ground. It happens so quick, no time to react! Luckily in my situation, it was just a precarious stall and tip over. Just hurt my pride! Wish I had had some video of it though, all the same.

Get the bike running again, put the fall in the past and keep riding! I need to do my own write-up of my two trips before the year mark sneeks up on me. Sure enjoy reading about everyone's TAT trips.