Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,588
Watched the whole last half and you're not a kid are you? Helluva video. I'll be thinking of it next time I'm down there.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #17
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,523
OK, I'm back. I'll pick up where the video ends and later come back to discuss how and why I think I managed to ride off that freakin' cliff.

First off, let me mention that my vivid memory ends at the point I'm riding up that step. I remember that my front wheel went where I wanted it to, then I have a vague "oh f*ck, this isn't going to end well" memory, then nothing. My next memories probably begin 10 minutes after the video ends.

My buddy Darrell (Kawtipper) isn't any slower than me, but doesn't like any dust so usually hangs back quite a bit when I'm leading. He said he saw me make a left turn in the distance. When he got to the step he actually stopped to choose his line (further right than mine) before continuing, totally oblivious that I was semi-conscious, not 20 feet away. He rode a bit further, then became concerned that (a) there was no left turn in the road and (b) I usually wait after challenging sections. So Darrell returned a few minutes later and found me sitting on the side of the road.

Fearing the worst, he was obviously relieved I was conscious and had been able to make it up to the road on my own power. I think he said I had already removed my jacket when he arrived and then he proceeded to check me for injuries. He said I was clenched up and complaining about pain in my left side ribs

This is about the time where my memory picks up again. As a realized what just happened I think I then went into shock. I remember feeling like I was going to puke and rolled over to my knees, curled up in a ball with my arms wrapped around my stomach and chest. I knew I had taken a severe impact and was worried about possible internal, head, neck or spinal injuries that I might not be feeling yet with all my focus on my rib pain. At that point I made the decision to ask Darrell to press the 911 button on my SPOT unit. I think I was in this shock/nausea stage for about 15-20 minutes.

During this time two riders on quads came up the trail. One stayed with me while the other guy and Darrell went down to check out my bike.They stood it back up and carried all of my luggage up to the road. Darrell said the bike was probably totaled and my GPS was in pieces. As I was slowly becoming more verbal, Darrell was comfortable enough to leave me with the quad guys and rode up out of the canyon to the interstate (maybe 3 miles away) to see if he could get a cell signal. Note that even on the interstate this was in the middle of nowhere.

Darrell called 911 and got confirmation that help had been mobilized due to the SPOT 911 alert and he was able to provide more information about the situation and my condition. He then called my wife and his wife to give them an update. This was smart as the SPOT call center folks called Sherry to say the 911 button had been pressed and she had called Darrell's wife, but they had no more details until Darrell had called to let them know it was me who was hurt, but was conscious and without obvious traumatic injuries. Darrell then returned to my location.

Maybe 70-80 minutes after pressing the 911 button, a small bike came up the trail and the rider asked if this was the accident scene. A few minutes later two more bikes came up with two EMS folks as passengers and they proceeded to check me over. The noticed my breathing was labored and hooked me up to an oxygen tank and put on a neck brace as a precaution.

Maybe 15 minutes later a bigger quad came down the trail. I think it belonged to the Sheriff's department. It was a side by side type with backboard mounted over the passenger side. They strapped me in and I had a very painful 30 minute ride up to the interstate where an ambulance awaited.

(Sorry I'm a slow writer. More tomorrow)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #18
2upAussie990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
mate that's a big crash, glad to see you made it out ok, I didn't have the sound turned up on the first viewing and immediately thought oh shit he's unconscious, hope he comes to. man those front forks have some rebound in them.
2upAussie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #19
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,610
Really glad you're here to tell us the whole story. The video is a great learning tool and the loss of memory is just one more reason to keep rolling tape. Or whatever they call filming with a GoPro.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #20
livo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Far out, that is a scary crash indeed. I literally gasped as you went over and winced when you hit the ground.

That could have ended so much worse..... glad to see you're still ok
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #21
DavidKXF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by livo View Post
I literally gasped as you went over and winced when you hit the ground.
Me too
DavidKXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #22
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,848
Thank you, I am too old for that kind of shit. I am starting to see the dual sports out for sale. I will not bounce as well as you, and I have to restrain the DS urge, and get my jollies on pavement, and with my GF. You got to have priorities.

That said I am glad to see you posting, and hope everything heals OK.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Again...good to see you made it. Thanks for starting a "proper" thread. Jesus that looked like it could have been a LOT worse. Look forward to the rest of the report.
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,497
Gad freaking zooks.......

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Ugh. Glad you're here.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Good Lord. I can't even imagine what would be involved with getting back to civilization after a crash like that. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your story.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #27
whitedelight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Wow

That just scared the shit out of me.....

Glad you are ok and hope your injuries were not too bad.
2005 vrcsa VRod
2006 DRZ400SM
whitedelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #28
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 245
Wow! That could've ended much worse. Anxious to hear the rest of the story and glad you are relatively ok.
Mike
Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #29
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,588
One thing about quads is that whatever you might think about them as trail vehicles they always seem to show up when you need them, and their pilots are some of the nicest people out there.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
motoree
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Glad saw you walked after that

When I crash usually it's the other way around. They see the bike but they have to look around a little to find me. You're one lucky man.