Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #31
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosF View Post
I like how you throw that piece of bark, like, "fuck'in stupid landscape...stupid bullshit bark layin' around, can't find my damn motorcycle..."
Had to quote this again. First time I've actually laughed out loud at a post in weeks.

Crazy story, glad you're here to tell it.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #32
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Glad you're ok man.

Heal quick!
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #33
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
That could have been a lot worse. Glad it wasn't.

I got the blood smell in my nose when he hit. Funny how we experience sympathetic injuries when watching something like this.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #34
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
You ought to contact the maker of that helmet cam. Maybe they'd pay you a royalty for that video. It's one hell of an endorsement for their product.
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #35
Stromin'Nroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
You ought to contact the maker of that helmet cam. Maybe they'd pay you a royalty for that video. It's one hell of an endorsement for their product.

I was just about to mention seeking an endorsement deal to defray some of the costs of this incident....................

Glad you did better than the bike seemed to have.

Suzuki DL650A K7
SW-Motech Centre Stand & Crashbars
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Stromin'Nroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #36
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Holy Effin Cowbells Batman. Your Guardian Angel was definitely by your side on that one. Glad you were to walk away from it.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
Huskylove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I am not much of a adv rider, but I almost cried watching that. Then when you got up I immediately thought "this guy is badass"....Then you fell over and I thought you may have been done for....

Scary vid.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #38
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Daaaayyymmn.....
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #39
tread55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
That brought back vivid memories of a mountain bike wreck I had. Unfortunately, mine ended with a broken neck. I'm glad you're okay enough to post about it. Looking forward to the rest of the story. Thanks for sharing.
tread55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,507
Off to the hospital

Before I cover the hospital trip, I had a few more comments about the accident scene and also uploaded some pics. Darrell told me he thought I had gone off a 15' cliff. After looking at the video and pics its probably closer to 12'. I am pretty sure the bike hit next to me and then bounced off another 10' cliff.

Pic from the where the bike landed. Steeper than it looks, blah blah blah. Note that most of these are Darrell's pics.

Bike after they picked it up. Not as bad as I expected.

Where I landed. In the soft spot between all the rocks. Pic was taken from the road about where I went off. Lighting makes it hard to distinguish the cliff edges.

Closer view.

One of the quad guys keeping me company.

Being attended to by one of the EMTs. Guys in black shirts are the quad guys.

In the meantime Darrell asked me where my tools were. They figured if they could semi-straighten out my handlebars it would be easier to roll the bike. The bars were twisted in the rox risers and were not really bent. They then rolled the bike back towards the canyon and the road dropped down to the level of that ledge system. Since they had one readily available they utilized a motorized winch for the last couple of feet, but it could have been overcome with manpower alone.

Here's the scene just before they strap me into the backboard for the ride out. I'm packing my valuables into my hydration pack to keep with me as I am not sure where my luggage will end up. I also change from moto boots to shoes.

Oh yeah, want to hear something crazy. They got my bike running.

Finally, its time to move me out. Because I could still have a neck or spinal injury, I get the backboard treatment. With the rough road this was an extremely uncomfortable ride. Luckily I had a free hand to grab the roll bar.

At the top I get transferred into a waiting ambulance for the hour long ride to the hospital in Price, UT.

joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #41
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,507
Thanks to the responders

There's more to my story, but figured this was a good spot to express my gratitude to all those who responded at the accident scene. Everybody was friendly, helpful and respectful to me the whole time. Thank you all.
  • To the SPOT team for responding exactly as hoped when I pressed the 911 button.
  • To the two guys on quads who stayed on the scene the whole time, freeing up Darrell to ride up to the highway to make phone calls. They also helped get the bike out and carried all of my luggage up to the highway. They were also going to hold on to the luggage in their camp, but that turned out to not be necessary.
  • Oh yeah, there was a couple in a third quad who happened upon the scene later. They were the ones with the winch which came in handy.
  • To the moto riders who transported the EMTs to the scene. I have no idea if they were called as part of the response or just happened upon the EMTs hiking in and volunteered.
  • To the sheriff's department for having the right kind of equipment to evacuate me from the scene. They also transported my luggage to a secure warehouse at their site and also stored my bike for the night.
  • To the two EMTs who treated me at the scene and stayed with me all the way to the hospital. They also gave me their phone number in case I needed any assistance in the next day or so.
  • To the guy who rode my bike up to the highway and the guy who rode it 30 miles to the sheriff's office. I know who they were but don't want to identify them in case its against some workplace rules. All I know is they saved me from having to pay extrication, towing and storage fees.
  • To whoever it was at the scene who got my bike started. I think Darrell said it took a bit to figure out.
  • And obviously, my buddy Darrell. He handled the initial scene great and made sure I didn't have to worry about other details like my bike or luggage. I put him in a tough spot and he stepped up.
Coming up, the hospital visit.

joefromsf screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 04:05 PM Reason: spelling error, trying to avoid being Klayed
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #42
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Wow Joe, just saw this! I remember when you were planning the trip, then nothing? I figured I just missed the report, now I know why.
I was out that way last year, very scenic but very remote. Hope this has a happy ending.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #43
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 393
You are one lucky man. Hope the injuries are healing well.

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #44
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 173
You're a lucky rider

That's an awesome video and thank you for taking the time to post some follow up details. Too often we hear of an accident and never the final results so rarely can we learn from the mistakes of others. Did you learn anything that might prevent another accident? In hind-sight would you do anything different? Any suggestions to others? Knowing of the potential serious danger of accidentally going over the edge, would you ride slower next time?
All round a good endorsement for your crash gear and of course you helmet cam is just amazing.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #45
LarryDawg
trials nut

Oddometer: 74
wow!!

That is one heck of a story!! First I'm glad your ok , it makes me think I need . To stick to my vintage trials.
My hats Off to you sir!
Larrydawg Flatlander