User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #91
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,507
End of the Road for me

At about 2:30 PM I officially pulled the plug on my trip. Who was I kidding? Even if I fixed the current problem, what hidden crash related gremlins were ready to bite me at a much more inopportune time. This was no longer the bike I had labored over for two years prepping for this specific ride. The trust was gone.

And what about me? I was a shadow of my former self, in pain and lacking strength. No way I could pick up a bike. I probably couldn't half my luggage if I took it off the bike. I was a total liability to Darrell and we were heading into the most remote parts of the TAT.

I was done. I was at peace with it.

We had used up most of the spare time built into our schedule. I told Darrell it was time for him to hit the road if he was going to have any chance of finishing the TAT. We'd had covered this scenario before the trip. I told him that if he bailed before we started I would go by myself and if he had a breakdown/accident I would make sure he was taken care of and then continue on by myself. Darrell took it to heart and prepared himself for the same scenario. He was more prepared for the trip than I was.

I gave Darrell my SPOT unit and some training on its use and told him I'd monitor his tracks. Wished him luck, told him to be careful and said goodbye.

Price was big enough to have a u-haul dealer and they even had the smallest sized truck that could be rented for a one-way trip. The next day I was packed and ready to go. Of course I needed a couple of guys to lift my bike into the truck.

It was weird driving home by myself. Even though it would have been faster, I couldn't bring myself to take the interstate. I took Hwy 50, a lonely two lane road across Utah and Nevada to try to capture some of the remoteness I would have been experiencing on the TAT.

No doubt. I was depressed. Until the crash the trip was everything I had imagined and more. Darrell and I were having a blast. When we were camping we always seemed to spend just enough time to find a great campsite or perfect for the circumstances. I'd found a riding partner who could take a month off to do it so we didn't have to hurry.

Anyway, that's my TAT story; or at least the last chapter of my story. Hopefully there's a ride report in me that will cover the pre-crash portion of the ride. Ride safe.
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #92
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,507
Darrell's adventure

Although Darrell is a member here, he's not the type to write a ride report, so I'll let you know how Darrell fared after we parted on September 4.

Several hours later that same day this was his predicament:

He managed to get out of that jam and eventually made it to Port Orford on Sept 15th. Way to go Darrell.
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #93
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Crash gods

Joe - glad you turned out A-OK brother. I fully expected broken bones seeing that cliff dive you did. You must have landed in the most exact softest spot available!!!! Wow...

And I know the bruised (cracked) rib feeling. I recently got tossed off onto the street in Alameda by an idiot bicyclist who ran a redlight. My bike would not start nor run.......it was insurance toast but hell I didn't fly off a cliff man.....pounding into a 220 lb "object" going 35MPH ain't got nothing on this story.

You my friend, came out on top and your bike ... I mean come on.....you're riding it home!!!! Simply amazing. Can't wait to catch up at one of the Meet and Eats soon...

Wow

Your DR did better than this bike:

Your DR did better that this bike too:

(he was ok too - only minor wounds and pieces of KTM plastic in his arm and chest) but you can read about all that in another post someday...

Good God - what's up with the Crash gods here..
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #94
Bark
Panic Dancer

Oddometer: 66
Thanks for sharing. You are a far better rider than I will ever be.
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #95
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
BitterSweet Ending

Glad you made it out. Sold a few PLBs, but emphasized the reasons not to ride on your own.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #96
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
mate u might have small hands

but u got huge balls that are tough as nails

u were prepared

u made good decisions

u tried to get back on and keep going

u made the right decision to pack up

u put ur hands where u feel comfortable

when a large dirt bike spears off the trail as urs did

it is a shock

if u had pulled the clutch and brake

in mho u would have still gone over the edge

the wheels would have locked

u would have slid of the edge

hope u get better soon

i hate rib injuries

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #97
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,781
Your DR wanted no part of the rest of the TAT and I can't say I blame it.

It is a smart bike, I hope you get it fixed and keep it. Glad you and it get to ride another day.

Thanks for the ride report. Glad you are OK.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #98
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
IShit happens to everyone and we all get caught out.
I have to agree with your post and the summary above. Even on MX I almost always have a finger over both clutch and brake pedals. Control coverage isn't foolproof accident insurance, but helps.

When I was a youngling starting out in this sport I whiskey throttled on an otherwise very safe and mostly flat mx course out in the country. Bike was pointed at a fence and I was either too inexperienced or panicked to take evasive action. I did have the sense to jump away from the bike at the last moment. I tumbled down in front of the fence, my bike went directly into a fencepost. The post survived, but my bike's frame was broken into two pieces.

This stuff can and will happen to the best of us. It's why they make helmets, boots and riding buddies.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #99
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,130
Epic.
Great video.
You can actually see what you're thinking as you look around.
It sort of feels like that mover '127 Hours'..
Glad you were not seriously hurt.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #100
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 126
Glad you walked away without serious trama from that, and relieved that you, and your DR, took the easy was home - bet your wife was happy with both of your discussions!

My son and I have watched your video on the big screen several times now, and it certainly is an intense moment that many a motorcyclist is thankful you shared.

Did your lung, ribs, and Suzuki make a full recovery?
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #101
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,177
Wow, what a story! I think you were amazingly lucky, found the one spot off that cliff that didn't kill you, and of course were wearing the proper gear for the adventure. It's not always comfy wearing heavy gear in the desert, but that's what it's for. I've done a lot of solo riding in my life and never gave it a second thought, but as I get older I think more about the SPOT and how it is the smart thing to have. What an amazing response from the passers-by and professional rescue folks!

I grew up riding motocross, trials, enduros, etc. in the desert of New Mexico and have experienced sudden turns and drops like shown in your video. To those folks who were second-guessing your riding style and reaction times - it's easy to arm-chair the event, but when you've been riding that rough stuff for days/miles and are tired, the first reaction is to just hang on. That shite happens so fast it's hard to fathom. One second things are fine, the next you're a bird, then a splat. Ever done the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP? One rock bumping your wheel to the wrong side and GONE; you'd have time to pull the rip cord on your parachute on some of those drops...

I am not surprised your DR held up so well, they are tough bikes. I put mine through hell and it never flinched. I hope you've healed and gotten the bike sorted out again and are back to riding!

Doug
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #102
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,734
Listening to you groan is painful from a stand point of having been whacked myself, hard in a crash before and hurting ribs. One of the toughest things was trying to sit up from a lying position. Entire core hurts and flat is where it likes to be. I watched your video several times of the moments just before you go over the edge. I was trying to see if you snagged your luggage on something. If you had, it pulls the bike right making you compensate hard left to keep from falling. There is a video somewhere that has a guy on a streetbike with bags riding through a marina and he catches his left saddlebag on a post and it causes a right turn to compensate and he goes over a ledge and into a sailboat.

found it:

So glad you're OK.

Can you give Lat/Long co-ords so we can zoom in on Google maps.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #103
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,959
Thanks for sharing Joe. Scarry video, glad things didn't turn out worse. All those rocks, and you managed to hit the "soft" stuff. Count your blessings!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #104
tunp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Joe,
that is some stuff, so glad you came out as you did, and thanks for sharing the story.
tunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #105
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,879
Wow! All I can say is Wow! Sure am glad to see that you're ok considering just how bad it looked from the video. I also can't believe, but surely do applaud your strength of character, to attempt to get back on the trail so soon after the crash. In the end though, I think you made the right decision. I sure your buddy Darrel regaled you with exactly what to expect from the TAT post Eagle Canyon, but having been there myself, I know that it's no joke. So your decision not to tackle it at that moment in time, given your condition and that of your bike, was the right one.

So, are you planning on getting back on the TAT and completing the crossing some time this year!?
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote