User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Emperor Norton OP
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,032
6D or D600

Deciding that perhaps an upgrade* would be nice (from a D90/10D) I've been looking at the EOS 6D and the Nikon D600. I'd need new glass for either (I currently have DX lenses) - so I'm not tied to one system. I'm liking the built in WiFi and GPS on the Canon (however I have the Nikon GPS unit and an Eye-Fi card so aside from Canons solution appearing far more robust without fragile connectors/boards this is a wash). The Nikon sensor appears to have (via the internet of course) a severe issue with getting dust or oil on itself without much user intervention (eg: changing lenses in the middle of a dust storm). Does anyone have any opinions/experience one way or the other?

*I am not a pro and there's nothing wrong with my D90, so it would be a just because I want a new shiny type upgrade
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,506
Get a TDI

Seriously, what do you like to shoot? Action? Sports? Portraits? Landscapes? Macro? The more detail the better.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 05:14 PM
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Emperor Norton OP
Kilroy was here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Get a TDI

Seriously, what do you like to shoot? Action? Sports? Portraits? Landscapes? Macro? The more detail the better.
I went with a gas GTI over the TDI

If I had to rank those, Landscapes (&architecture), portraits, macro, action/sports. I mostly shoot when traveling. Once in a very random blue moon I'll wander out and try something artsy or play with long exposures or try night scenes.

Emperor Norton screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 07:39 PM Reason: wtf is a tfi
Emperor Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,401
Nikon!

what was the question?

find a camera store and give them a good feel and go from there

either will be a nice step up.

good luck!

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
CRP6001
Photographer

Oddometer: 150
I have a Nikon D600. I am very satisfied with this camera. The D600 was an
easy choice, as I own a decent collection of AI, AIS, and AI converted lenses,
plus a 300mm IF-ED AF. If I stop down to f32, set the lens to it's closest
focusing distance, and take a picture of a blank sky, I can see some dirt on
the sensor. Since I don't photograph blank skies at f32, this is not an issue.
Compared to the 6D, the D600 has more resolution, a faster frame rate, and
two card slots. The D600 has a magnesium top plate, so GPS and WIFI can't
be built in. DX lenses can be used on the D600, it will switch to DX mode
when a DX lens is mounted, and FX lenses can be used on the D90. The D90
would be a great second body with a D600.
CRP6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I went with a gas GTI over the TDI

If I had to rank those, Landscapes (&architecture), portraits, macro, action/sports. I mostly shoot when traveling. Once in a very random blue moon I'll wander out and try something artsy or play with long exposures or try night scenes.
Cool, just wanted to make sure sports weren't a big thing because then I might try to push you to the D7100 for the AF.

I might have a Nikon bias but are you looking to buy now or in a few months? Nikon has put out a service advisory with the D600 so they realize the problem. The question is if it was a production or design issue, hopefully that comes to light soon.

And the internet amplifies problems so it might be a small percentage of the D600's out there.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,750
six of one....half a dozen of the other....

It's not the bike, camera, plane, guitar, etc.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
I've been pouring over info for both of these cameras for weeks now trying to make the same decision. I ended up ordering the new D7100 simply because it had just come out and I had exactly that much sitting in my Paypal account. Instant gratification got the better of me.\
Now, with that said, between the two I had really decided to go with the D600. I like the dual card slots, I like the additional AF points, and I generally like Nikon's color rendition. I actually spoke to a pro photographer today who has one and loves it. Yes, there seems to be some issue with spots on the sensor but I'm not sure how prevelant that is in the real world, and it also seems to go away eventually with use of the camera.
Hard to fault the Canon - they are really well made and I like their new menu systems and overall handling. Tough call ultimately...
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Emperor Norton OP
Kilroy was here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Cool, just wanted to make sure sports weren't a big thing because then I might try to push you to the D7100 for the AF.

I might have a Nikon bias but are you looking to buy now or in a few months? Nikon has put out a service advisory with the D600 so they realize the problem. The question is if it was a production or design issue, hopefully that comes to light soon.

And the internet amplifies problems so it might be a small percentage of the D600's out there.

TBH thats why I posted this thread. While I'm Nikon biased I'd been reading about the sensor oil/dust/martian jizz issue with the D600. My first DSLR was the 10D and with mine if you looked at it funny it would dump dust on your sensor. So while I've enjoyed my D90 I wasn't looking to replace it with something that would require a crazy amount of babysit the sensor care. I'm used to the feel/heft/weather sealing of the Nikons (aside from my D90 that farked me in St. Petersburg/Peterhoff palace right before the fountains came on). I like the vertical shutter releases as besides being nice to my muscle meory they also give me more batter power. After a few trips to Alaska, Ill take all the extra battery space I can.

On one hand the EOS (and Im still not happy with Canon fooking all their users by obsoleting their lens mount) with its built in WiFi and GPS seems logical for me (yay phone acting as a tertiary backup for RAW files!) on the other I have decades with amateur Nikon hour (expensive bodies + cheap glass). So I too am biased

I'm going to be going on vacation in July/August to Venice, Eastern Med, Dardanelles, Turkey and the Black Sea. Im looking to take a new system on this trip so I'd need to purchase it before hand to get familiar with it. (if you want to see how bad I am or what I've done semi-recently my signature has a link to my SmugMug).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: