User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
DR Donk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Why Do You Ride The Bike You Do?

At the start of the riding year I set a milage goal. If I don't reach it, no big deal. So, last year right at the end of riding season here in Michigan, I went on a long, for me, ride of 200 miles in one day on my DR650 to get closer to the milage goal. When I mentioned it to a guy here at work and told him the curving back roads and trails that I had ridden on to go 200 miles the past Saturday he asked why I didn't just go on the highway? Well, I could have and the DR is capable of it but I enjoy the type of riding that I do. So, that got me thinking of why I have kept the DR650 these past 10 years when I usually buy and sell bikes every 4-5 years. It just seems to suit my style of riding and I think it is an extension of my younger days. Back in my youth we would ride our bicycles off road, ride wheelies, skid the back wheel, etc. I still do all those things on the DR650. So, why the particular bike that you now have?
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,547
I too have a DR650 as one of my bikes. Every Time I am on Single Track I call it a PIG... Every time I am of a highway ride to Montana I call it a Gutless wonder.

Drug (my DR650) just smiles and in reality has never let me down. A simple Thumper is a good Thumper.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I got my bike (Fz6) because I was looking for a good all-around bike that I can commute with without killing my back, ride through canyon with, and do some weekend trips every now and again.

I would have to agree with you that your bike is sort of an extension of yourself. I see guys at cafe's on chromed out pigs and it sort of suits them (out to put around and go to a local bar to get some looks), I see kids on R6's and gixxers and it suits them to (nothing too interesting, you see them all of the time, mostly on the daily news). It's all about getting a bike that suits you

Unfortunately, I wasn't really into riding off-road at the time, so I've been eyeballing some of the new wee-stroms lately

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
mmod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I have a dr 650 as well. I like slow pace exploring back roads, gravel and easy dirt and the bike is great for that. I have a larger bike when the wife wants to go out for the day but if the DR was was capable of that it would be the only bike I need.
mmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,947
I also have a big dual sport, but mine is an '83 XL600R. They really are like a big BMX bikes for grown-ups. I've owned it for a long time, except for that year that I sold it to my buddy. Luckily, he sold it back to me. Now that I have the Aprilia Dorsoduro, I put a huge sprocket on the XL, so top speed is about 70 mph now.

I bought the Aprilia specifically for 2-up trips. My wife and I outweighed the XL by 100 lbs or so. It gave a valiant effort, but wasn't very happy. The 750 handles trip duties now, and the XL sees nothing but forest and backroads.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,216
because it's the only one I've got.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,183
I ride all of mine because they are Fun. A bad day riding (there are none) is better than the best day at work!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb
They really are like a big BMX bikes for grown-ups.
I LOVE this quote BTW.

I ride a latest gen KLR, and that is EXACTLY why I ride it. IMHO, the KLR is the perfect 50/50 bike. It is happy to ride all day on the highway (if your ass can stand the seat and wrists can take the vibes), but it is just as happy to spend an afternoon slogging through and getting dropped in the sand.

In honesty, with this damn Michigan sand the DR650 (or even better a DRZ) is probably a better 50/50 bike HERE, but if you need one bike to do it all....sandy off road to all day highway rides I don't think there is anything better.

Because of where I live I will eventually end up with two bikes. One for mostly pavement (R1200R?) and one for mostly off pavement (XR400/DR350?), but given my experience with the KLR I will probably never own a bike that is completely incapable of either.
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
because it's the only one I've got.
Me too
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
Me too
LOL, there's that too.

The KLR is what's in my garage......AND it's paid for
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
doorman
Aimless

Oddometer: 224
Current bike is a 2001 ninja 250

I ride it because I like to travel, and the further I can go per gallon of gas the better. Sure I could have bought something newer and bigger, but the little ninja does the same job for far less money. I also enjoy absurdly inexpensive insurance.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,414
Xr650l. I ride a dual sport because I like the riding position better than a sport bike or cruiser. A vintage generic Japanese motorcycle has a comfortable seating position too, but I like the dirt bike look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
1997 Honda Dream 100

Bought for 16,000 baht (about $US 500) in late 2003, engine overhauled (for the first time) about 3 years ago @ about 180,000 km. Now done over 210,000 km (130,000 miles) it still gets better than 100 mpg...... It is all the bike I need to get around an island that is 50 km long by 20 km wide.

It would be nice to have something like the new CRF250, to explore some of the off road trails around the place. I have taken to some on the Dream, but it doesn't have the ground clearance to take on many. However, as a teacher on the government payroll, on my budget a 250 is destined to remain just a dream.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 03:12 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,309
I ride a KTM 450 EXC because for what I do it kicks ass
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,823
I ride my DR650SE more than my YX600. It's versatile. It's fun even at sane speeds. It's comfortable. It's economical. It's simple to repair and maintain. It'll haul 2 and luggage. It's a visceral kind of experience, and yes, it IS like having a grown-up's BMX bike.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote