Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 6,261
Triumph Speed Triple. It scares kids and makes panties wet. I like that.
iyaoyas98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #32
DJFlowe
Ginger

Oddometer: 233
Air-Cooled Multistrada.

I wanted a bike that had upright, comfortable seating, handled and braked like a sportbike, sounded like holy hell, weighed under 450 lbs and went like stink. Oh, and it had to cost under $9k.

For $7,900 I got a 18 month old Italian V-Twin with forged wheels, full Ohlins and all kinds of fancy carbon fiber bits. If you can turn the wrenches yourself, I'm convinced this bike is the bargain of the century.
DJFlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #33
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
I've had all sort's, apart from a cruiser, moto x ,enduro, sport bike's, VFR 750 being the last, nice but dull. I was actually looking for a Triumph Speed Triple, couldn't find one to test ride and wanderd into a KTM dealer. Test rode the Super Duke, nice but something missing. The dealer pointed at the 990 adv, take that for a spin. I've had lot of dirt bike's, but this was a fucking giant chook chaser, 150 wide rear wheel on a dirt bike! The rest is history, i've had it for 7 year's now, no issue's. You can play a boy racer, should read 'old fart', with bloke's on CBR's and R1's and hoon on dirt, as long as you watch out for that rally car flying the other direction. I agree with the poster saying he enjoyed all his bike's. The 990 just seem's to fit the bill right now, who know's, i rode a friend's Triumph Rocket last summer, now there is a.....
P.S Never had a DR 650, sorry
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #34
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Honda CRF250L

It's what I can afford.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #35
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I've asked myself this a few times. The best answers I can come up with regarding why I've picked a KLR650 are a combination of low purchase price, fuel economy, easy/relatively infrequent maintenance schedule, and brutally simple technology.

I'm tempted by other better, lighter, more powerful, more complex bikes, but the "frugal" side of me reappears and reminds me this one gets me more or less where I want to go and it at least won't get me a ticket for more than maybe 15 over on an interstate. :p
Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #36
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,408
2009 Vee-Strom. I wanted something reliable.

(Knocks wood)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #37
Ancient1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
1150 gs

I ride an 1150 GS because it is a great one-up touring bike with all-road capability. Also, I like where it sits on the technology time line. Fuel injection and ABS, but no canbus or ESA wizardry. Meyer saddle and Ohlins make a real Easy Rider.
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #38
glenn2926
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Why do I ride the bike I have?

Because it's the bike I have.
glenn2926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #39
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 214
I ride a 99 DR350sex. I upgraded from a 02 K1200rs

Started out on Jap cruisers and went to a couple of Harleys. My back dictated I ride in a sportbike position. I rode a Triumph TT600 for a few years then moved to a sport touring K12 for another few years.
But all the while my little 00 RM250 is the bike I dreamed about at night. Woods riding was all I could think about.
I originally sold the BMW to get off the street. Then I bought the DR because I got my wife an XT225 and I needed something I could ride along side her...

Now I ride the DR to work, play, in the woods, in sandlots and anywhere I can go without getting in too much trouble. It's all the bike I ever needed. Except when I really want to tear it up, I still have my 2-strokes.

I ride a Dirt Bike to work. It make me smile.

Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #40
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I'm saving up to buy a Prius. Until then I have to ride a motorcycle.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #41
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 288
85 Honda Nighthawk 650

Because it's what I can afford and it's good for 500 mile days.
And simple enough that I can do a lot of repairs myself--budget won't let me pay anyone, anyway...
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #42
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,491
Because if I'd paid someone lots and lots of money to design the perfect bike for the riding I actually do - it'd be this.

(DL 650).

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #43
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
The Buell is a lot of fun. I like the Way it shakes, the low end torque, the syncopated exhaust. It's small compared to most other bike's I've owned, I like the upright seating and feeling like I'm a big dirt bike.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #44
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
A gift of sorts

I inherited the Nightster. Nobody died, I just ended up with it. It is not a bike that I would have chosen for myself, but how can I really complain? It has grown on me, and I on it. It will definitely be joined by other bikes in the future, but I think it may always be around.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #45
GordyOZ
Lesser grey wobbler

Oddometer: 280
Dl650k11

I ride the bike I do for the same reasons I do a lot of other things like dodging 400ton trucks and flying rocks for a living........ because I can.

The love of my life retired and said I could have any bike I wanted, I chose the Wee because on the first test ride it felt like I had been riding it forever, it still feels like that after 20,000km. Taking off for a 1200km weekend or a 500 km sunday over all sorts of road surfaces and landscapes is the juice that keeps my soul going............

My previous bike was an 1150EF Suzuki from 1985, it was a train that bashed it's way across the countryside, the Wee is more like a cat that glides along as smooth as silk..............