Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #61
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
Love that sticker...
Thanks! My buddy owns a decal business and made it for me.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #62
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
Cause I'm cheap.

68 Trail 90 with Lifan 140cc engine, 100 mpg
07 Lifan 200 dual sport, $1375 new, delivered, 75 mpg, now at 40,000 miles
81 GL500 Interstate, my touring bike, 50 mpg
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #63
Milehi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
950 Super Enduro, because it is BADASS....and a good conversation piece. One out of 20 people even know what a KTM is...
Milehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #64
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Got me an FJR 'n FZ6 cuz of the long valve adjustment intervals. Theyz 'bout as relaible as anvils too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
I got my bike (Fz6) because I was looking for a good all-around bike that I can commute with without killing my back, ride through canyon with, and do some weekend trips every now and again.

I would have to agree with you that your bike is sort of an extension of yourself. I see guys at cafe's on chromed out pigs and it sort of suits them (out to put around and go to a local bar to get some looks), I see kids on R6's and gixxers and it suits them to (nothing too interesting, you see them all of the time, mostly on the daily news). It's all about getting a bike that suits you

Unfortunately, I wasn't really into riding off-road at the time, so I've been eyeballing some of the new wee-stroms lately
Just put sum Pirelli Scorpions on the FZ6 'n yer set!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #65
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I too have a DR650 as one of my bikes. Every Time I am on Single Track I call it a PIG... Every time I am of a highway ride to Montana I call it a Gutless wonder.

Drug (my DR650) just smiles and in reality has never let me down. A simple Thumper is a good Thumper.
and every time i'm on a dirt country road or a sweet forest service road I call it perfect.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #66
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Cause I have bike ADD...
I'm a f'ing addict to having something new to ride.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #67
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 664
I live in Green Bay. Once had a car driver at a Subway ask me, "why the BMW and not a Harley?"

I said, "well, this bike is paid for long ago, riding it since 94. Its got 170,000 miles on it and no problems, never opened up the engine other than regular maintenance. Aside from that, its faster, quicker, quieter, makes more power, gets decent gas mileage, carries more load, handles better, brakes better, and I don't have to worry about some dweeb wanting to sit on it or worse, steal it."

He just shook his head in agreement. Now, it may not look as cool, or sound like a Harley (who gives a crap about that as if it matters). But it always works for me. I'd ride it to California tomorrow and not even think that it has a lot of miles on it.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #68
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
I ride a 1200 Bandit... because I like the looks and ergos, and when I bought it..... they didn't make a 1201.

And the KX500, because they don't make a 501.

I'm fat, I need all the power I can get LOL.

If money were no object, I'd have one of every bike ever made, I love em all1
Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #69
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 176
Wicked Y650vs

Sure, there were cheaper bikes out there. Yeah, there were bigger ones, too. This one had just about everything I needed: decent mileage, windshield the size of a barn door, didn't demand shims to adjust the valves, and the main seller was the drive shaft. So I bought my V-Star 650 Custom off a guy for a song. So far, she's performed every task just as a first bike should. She's driven me where I needed to go, and that includes nuts. She's cost me money (needed a new clutch, baffles were shot) and gobs of time, too. Hell, I'm still fixing little things and have a bit to go yet. But I wouldn't trade it, or sell it, for anything less than an FJR. Seeing as I'm still in college, I don't think that's gonna happen. So in the mean time, I'll turn her into a Yamahog adventure bike and ride the ever lovin' hell out of it!

Now to get that top box bolted down...
Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #70
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Cause I have bike ADD...
I'm a f'ing addict to having something new to ride.
Ain't that the truth. Wanted a change from big ADV bikes so I picked up a Triumph scrambler last month and having a blast on it. Like the old saying, It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, at least for now.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #71
rdcamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
[QUOTE=DR Donk;20863341]At the start of the riding year I set a milage goal. If I don't reach it, no big deal. So, last year right at the end of riding season here in Michigan, I went on a long, for me, ride of 200 miles in one day on my DR650 to get closer to the milage goal. When I mentioned it to a guy here at work and told him the curving back roads and trails that I had ridden on to go 200 miles the past Saturday he asked why I didn't just go on the highway? Well, I could have and the DR is capable of it but I enjoy the type of riding that I do. So, that got me thinking of why I have kept the DR650 these past 10 years when I usually buy and sell bikes every 4-5 years. It j

ust seems to suit my style of riding and I think it is an extension of my younger days. Back in my youth we would ride our bicycles off road, ride wheelies, skid the back wheel, etc. I still do all those things on the DR650. So, why the particular bike that you now have? [/QUOTE

The palm of my hand involuntarily connected with my face. "Why dont you just go on tge highway?" Lawls

I ride my R80RT because it was given to me, and will do everything on tarmac i want it to. No frills, classic German Iron. For bike deux, either a DR or KLR to go the places the beemer wont
rdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #72
kamikazekyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
2011 CBR250R: It hits the main tags for a commuter bike: dirt cheap parts, excellent gas mileage, super nimble, practically free insurance, and great for city traffic. It's showing plenty of battlescars from gymkhana practice and other silliness. I keep thinking about selling it for a CRF250L or WR250, but every time I whip it around a corner in city traffic or try to kiss the pegs running patterns in a parking lot, I can't seem to place the ad. I really should, though, so I can get a true dual sport and explore tons of back roads 30 minutes from here.

2012 Ninja 1000: I had purchased a fully farkled, used Multistrada for 2-up sport touring, but the bike felt way too top heavy and turned into a lemon after a few hundred miles. I eventually nabbed the N1K at the last minute before a 3 week trip and fell in love. Low-tuned I4 that growls rather than whines, pulls butter smooth from every spot on the tach, and hits the right mix of sport and touring for me. I just wished the mileage didn't tank in the city. Though now that my girlfriend has decided she doesn't want to ride it, it's pretty much way more umph than I need or even want. But there's still something to be said about having eye-socket-smushing power that's totally predictable and deliverable in town, on the interstate, or in the twisties.

2013 MotoGuzzi V7 Stone: I was so never planning on buying a bike like this, intending to buy a dual sport instead, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. Matte black, matching cast wheels and engine, chrome in just the right places, old school design with modern touches, quirky longitudinal V-twin...the girlfriend liking it and wanting to ride it sealed the deal. I ride the Stone because it has character, for better or worse. Sure some might call it underpowered or overpriced, but there's just *something* about it that just makes you want to keep riding. Even after the engine tries to throw you off when you turn it over or those bias-ply tires try to bring out the flat-tracker in you.
kamikazekyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #73
Reprobate
Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer: 6,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
So, why the particular bike that you now have?
In my case it's bikes:

My solo ride:

BMW R1100GS, bedlinered, 30 liter tank and customized to the hilt with Hyperpro compression shocks and a whole list of other goodies.

I put over a 100,000 kilometers on the Black Brute, a lot of it on secondary and unpaved roads all over Europe. I can effortlessly ride 800 kilometers of backroads a day on this motorcycle. It never let me down.

The Family Car:

Moto Guzzi Mille GT with EZS sidecar, modified with rally seat for the children. Doesn't need a parking permit, can be parked on the sidewalk. Plus it's really great to ride a hack.

The Moped:

Vespa PX200E motor scooter, fitted with universal child seat, for urban transport, and taking our 6-year old son to soccer practice. Light, dependable, cheap, great mileage, basically a moped with a more powerful engine. Ideal for snow and sleet, can be ridden with two feet on the ground, can be picked up easily. Pre-dented. Transport racks both front and rear. Has electric starter, but can also be kickstarted if battery is low. Has spare tyre.

Featured model on my book covers, since my protagonist rides one.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #74
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
I bought an SV650 for track duty as well as aggressive street riding, because of the cost/benefit ratio it gave. I got super-sport quality brakes and suspension, good handling, great aftermarket and huge fun for $2500. It's cheap enough that when I see it go cartwheeling away from me at the track, I'm not too bothered.

For more sensible riding and touring, I bought a DL650 ABS, because apparently I DO buy bikes with my brain instead of my heart, in spite of what my signature says :)
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #75
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,698
Pretty much every bike I've ever owned has been a basketcase, so for me it's as much about the build as the ride. I buy cheap (current project was free!), build them up, ride them for a couple years, then sell them off (usually for profit) and pick up a new project.

Partially it's because I'm a broke student with more time than money, and now that I'm finally near the end of grad school and (hopefully) a decent-paying job, I'm looking forward to buying a bike rather than a project, but I still can't imagine ever owing money on a bike.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote