Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Monsignore OP
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 901
SS1000 advice

Hey YFFs,
I have set myself the goal of successfully completing a SaddleSore 1000 or Bun Burner 1500 by the end of next summer. I've looked over the AOW advice on the Iron Butt website. I understand this is endurance riding, not a race.

I'll be riding a 2005 R1200GS, stock tank. I live in NYC and will likely head in a southerly way as that's where my family & friends live.

I was hoping for some of y'all's collective wisdom on long-distance riding.

Is it better to do the SS1k as a straight line or a loop, ie A->1,000mi->B or A->500mi->B->500mi->A?

Is it madness to attempt a SaddleSore 2000 my first time out?

Let the wisdom juices flow over me.

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
1000 miles out leaves you a long way from home, not always a bad thing. . Really, it's up to the rider on how you want to do it. 1000 miles is 1000 miles. Get some sleep, ride another 500 and bang, you've got a BB1500. As far as doing it back to back, see how you feel after the first day.

Longest day ridden so far? Got some long days under your belt?
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
When I did my SS1K, we went out to PA from MA and back.
If I dd another, I'd not use the stock seat, and I'd install a throttle lock. At the end of the ride, my tank still had 300Mi range, but my butt was down to ~100.
My buddy did the same ride on an aftermarket seat, and used a Throttle Rocker, and was none the worse for wear.

Rain gear is good, too..

Steve
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Monsignore OP
Plunger Boy

Longest day in the saddle was just over 700 miles, but I had a buddy riding with me.
I've done a few 500+ days, and regularly do 400 miles in ~9hrs when I visit my brother.

I've got a Sargent saddle and Alaska Leather butt pad, Throttle Rocker and GoCruze thingy.

I'm going to start experimenting with hooking my iPod up to my new (to me) Chatterbox. Figure that'd help with the fatigue and boredom, or it might just add aggravation if the connection stinks or the battery dies.

IBA # 55612
Old 10-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,257
1) Read the IBA archive of wisdom.

2) I'd set up a route that lets you do both SS1K and BB1500 (You can do those two together); if you don't feel up to making the SS1K, you can knock off a little early, get some rest, then still shoot for the BB1500.

3) See 1) above.

4) It's time spent stopped that kills your average speed. Practice gas stops, including making sure the receipt has date, time, and place, and note mileage, before shoving it in your safe place so you don't lose it. I keep a small notepad and pen in a ziploc in the tankbag for this.

5) See 3) above.

6) Ego is an impairment- leave yours home.

7) Have fun!
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Monsignore OP
Plunger Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
6) Ego is an impairment- leave yours home.
I try to do this every time I get on the bike.

Thanks for the tips so far!

IBA # 55612
Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 1,039
Every minute is a mile!

With an average speed of 60 MPH every minute you stop you have lost a mile. I think about that at every stop. It does keep me moving.

I use a GPS to track my average speed. Very important information on a longer ride.

I plan all of my gas stops and program them into my GPS in order. I try to use truck stops.

I write the mileage on each receipt. Helps when you fill out the log later. Each receipt goes in a ZipLoc bag.

Check each receipt carefully. I have had blank receipts, wrong time, date and even year!

Currently I have traveled 30,441 miles "on the clock" doing IBA rides.

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,152
Don't over think it. An SS1K isn't that hard. A moving average of a paltry 55mph gets it done in 18 hours. You have a ton of time for leisurely gas stops and even a nap if you need one.

The best advice I can give is to keep hydrated and keep your blood sugar even. I keep a camelbak strapped to my tank bag and a supply of beef jerky, power powers and dried apricots. Nibbling on food and constantly drinking water will do wonders for keeping away drowsiness. Dehydration will cause drowsiness. A big meal will cause drowsiness. High sugar/carb snacks/meals will cause a subsequent drop in blood sugar and cause..drowsiness.

Also have clothing for all weather. I carry rain gear and a heated jacket liner, even in July. And I've used it.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Advice

I did my first SS1000 2 years ago and have a few bits of advice:
1) Pick a date as close to the summer solstice as possible (June 21, 2013). Riding in daylight is better than riding in the dark. I did mine in mid-June 2011 and only had half-hour of dark at the beginning and end of the ride.
2) Don't sit on the stock 1200GS seat. I have an Airhawk, which was good. A Russell Day-Long seat would be better.
3) Plan those stops carefully. Just a few minutes of mucking around cuts average speed significantly. I travelled at as close to 80 mph as I could without risking a ticket - but averaged only 60 mph due to stops.
4) STAND UP when your butt gets a bit tired. Your GS is made to be ridden standing on the pegs. You may want to add bar risers and rotate the bars up a tiny bit to help. This was a big mistake for me in NOT doing it. When I finished my 1000 mile trip (and the 1000 mile return 2 days later) - my "frank & beans" were numb and stayed that way for two more days. Standing up gets some blood flowing without stopping the bike.
5) Celebrate every 10 miles - you are 1% closer to the finish.
6) Bail if you get too tired. After all, it's just a number and a t-shirt and you can try again later.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
TXRKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I dont understand why everyone is making such a big deal about planning your gas stops. I've done a couple thousand mile days, and I just got gas when I needed it, or if I felt like I needed to stop and stretch for a minute, I'd top off the gas tank. Maybe it's just me, but if I have to plan absolutely everything and try to stick to a schedule, the ride isn't going to be much fun. 1000 miles in 24 hours isn't all that difficult.

TXRKC screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 09:40 AM
TXRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,257
How much planning is needed for a gas stop depends on how much range one has, so it's a matter of knowing your bike and surroundings. On the interstate or busy secondary roads, I almost never worry about it unless I see a sign that says "Next gas XX miles".

There are parts of the country where the next gas may actually be much further, depending on time of day / day of week or even season. Know that you have enough gas to get through them, or be prepared to deal with them.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Monsignore OP
Plunger Boy

So I'm shooting for the first full week of May.

I'll be riding from NYC to Cordele, GA. The rough draft of my route is I-78 to I-81 to I-77 to I-75.

Question: Do y'all think it's better to ride on a weekday or a weekend?

(Several opinion-gathering questions to follow)

IBA # 55612
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Atlanta!

Think hard about the Atlanta traffic.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
ballshot
nOOb in training

Oddometer: 49
Did similar route last May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
So I'm shooting for the first full week of May.

I'll be riding from NYC to Cordele, GA. The rough draft of my route is I-78 to I-81 to I-77 to I-75.

Question: Do y'all think it's better to ride on a weekday or a weekend?

(Several opinion-gathering questions to follow)
I did much of that route last May when I went from CT to Aiken, SC but I included Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway (287->78->81->Skyline->BRP->77->20). Time/mileage wasn't an issue for me so SD/BRP were much more enjoyable than the slab. I left early on a Sunday to avoid any rush hour traffic and that worked out well. Temps in May are usually nice as well. Fuel shouldn't be an issue traveling on the interstates. I always seem to hit fog, rain, or both coming down through the hills on 77 a little before entering North Carolina.

If you looking for a "structured" SS1K, this one isn't too far from you.
http://www.minuteman1000.com/
Good luck on your trip.
ballshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,289
Try it with no interstates, that's much more challenging.