Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycekauai View Post
Hey guys just a little update. Ordered new clutch springs and got the rear brake drum off. Now gotta get the Cam out cause its rusted pretty stiff. I also Ordered a new fuel petcock cause I wasn't really getting a good flow coming to the engine, and I cleaned the carb thoroughly as well. Hoping the petcock gets it running a little better then its clutch time. Parts are shipping to Hawaii so it takes a little time. I'll be surfing till then!

Mahalo
I would run new fuel lines to . After all it's cheap at 1 buck a foot and the otehrs are 24 years old. Any auto parts store will do. Good job so far
Old 03-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #17
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I would run new fuel lines to . After all it's cheap at 1 buck a foot and the otehrs are 24 years old. Any auto parts store will do. Good job so far
Great point. I got a few feet yesterday and will get more tomorrow. For sure have some old tweaked tubes for sure. Mahalo!
brycekauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Little update in the video above. Today I got in the new petcock and fuel filter. The thing starts up and is running great. I haven't put my 200 pound booty on the thing yet though. THanks for all the help so far and the carb cleaning really helped.

NEXT ON THE LIST:
1. Replace old clutch springs
2.Un-seize the Rear brake cam. With Heat I'm guessing?
3.Check front brakes
4.Replace Exhaust gasket
5.Take for a ride up my street!!!!

Any pointers or help is much appreciated.

Mahalo!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #19
fullmetalscooter

Any idea how rusted the gas tank is? Any need to dump some washers etc into it to clean it up inside? Also found this yahoo group for you . You ll have to have yahoo account to read it . but they ll now more then most http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hondae...sage/992?var=1

And I dough you need it but dans basic free motorcycle repair course
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm
Did you download the manual yet ? it will show you what is what.

This is what one guys said to do about something like this. Most >

Remove the brake actuator lever and work the segmented brake cam back and forth gently with vise grippers. Use
penetrate oil on the cam to brake housing hole for better corrosion removal- but
bike bandit oem picture of the rear brake parts.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...10720#sch16781
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #20
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Any idea how rusted the gas tank is? Any need to dump some washers etc into it to clean it up inside? Also found this yahoo group for you . You ll have to have yahoo account to read it . but they ll now more then most http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hondae...sage/992?var=1

And I dough you need it but dans basic free motorcycle repair course
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm
Did you download the manual yet ? it will show you what is what.

This is what one guys said to do about something like this. Most >

Remove the brake actuator lever and work the segmented brake cam back and forth gently with vise grippers. Use
penetrate oil on the cam to brake housing hole for better corrosion removal- but
bike bandit oem picture of the rear brake parts.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...10720#sch16781
Thanks for the tips FullMetalScooter

1. The Gas tank is for sure pretty rusted. I did the bolt shaking and got a lot of the crap out. I used SeaFoam and gas and shook like crazy. I then bought an aftermarket fuel filter to help a little more till I got it running good.
2.The back brake is gonna take some time to get repaired. I will be working it a lot the next week when I have time.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #21
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Good News! Took the scoot for its first ride today. I'll admit that it was a pretty sketchy ride. Front and back brakes didn't work! Haha, but thats ok cause I live on a pretty flat street. Got the scoot going up to 25MPH but didn't want to go any faster because of the super old tire on it, which was generating a little shake from being flat for 10 years.

I installed 1000rpm clutch springs today and that for sure gave it some good pick up. Used the video below to remove the clutch bolt. Worked great! She is idling super good and the carb doesn't bog down at all. I can't believe this scoot is coming back to life after 10 years of rust and neglect.

Now onto my newest problem. The front brake cable is rusted stiff. Luckily I found a new cable and front brake drum for $30 on eBay today. Saw online that the brake cables are hard to find and I didn't want to hunt everywhere. Once I get that all good I'll drive the scoot around the neighborhood for a week or so and see how it fairs. Then start investing real time and money into it for a good looking restoration. Mahalo for the help so far!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Hey guys. A little update. So I got a front brake for the scoot and have been driving it up and down my street, its so smooth! The 1000rpm clutch springs I put in give it great take off, but I'm not reaching a speed over 35mph. Maybe 40. I did a thorough carb cleaning and I know that helped a bunch. I plan to drive it around for the next week or so and get the motor feeling alive again. Painted the muffler and replaced the exhaust Gasket, boy did that make it pur a little smoother. I did find a nice chunky rust hole in the back corner of the exhaust as well. The thing starts up without any hesitation when its warmed up.

So now I'm onto a full restoration, I wanna take the frame off and give it a good scrubbing and paint job, any pointers? I don't wanna loose pieces in the process. Pics will be up soon, maybe even a little ride video!

Mahalo
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
fullmetalscooter

basic stuff zipp lock bags with tags and lots of pictures and notes of what came from where. Any website that show basic car painting is ok to read up on it. Painting all the same thing in the end. All depends on what you want in a paint job perfect or looking good at 5 feet. Anyone with time and spray can get good looking 5 foot job .
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #24
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

OMG! I went 55MPH today!!!!! I can't believe it! I'm still coming down from the high. I took it for a little joy ride around town and it wouldn't get over 30mph. The best part of it was that I was using my iPhone to get the max mph, then when it was safely tucked between my legs...so I thought...I see it sliding on the road next to my scooter!!!!! I was baffled! But no worries, screens are replaceable. When I got home, I put the bike up on the center stand and adjusted the idle because the tire was still spinning like crazy. Then I have it some throttle on the stand and it sounded like it was hitting a faster speed. I took her up the street and it fricking moved! I mean it moved! I went 50MPH on my street where the speed limit is 25MPH.

I don't know what got it going, but its going now. It also was overheating when I got back to the house after the first ride, so now I gotta replace the coolant and all that jazz. Does anyone know how to bleed the coolant lines. I'm sure the coolant is old and grim. Thanks guys. heres some photos of my painted muffler. First of many restorations.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
If you have the cover off the belt and clutch area, watch the rear pulley separate as you rev the engine. It should open all the way so the belt bottoms out against the shaft. At that point the variator should be closed so the belt is at the outside edge of the variator pulley. If the rear pulley won't open all the way, you have to disassemble it and clean out the grooves that a couple of pins slide in. Tech Tip #8 at www.ch250.net might help.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

So it looks like I'm overheating. I haven't checked all the possible culprits yet, but will get on it tomorrow. The fan works when I jump it, but it didn't seem to cool the engine down when I turned it on. So that makes me think coolant isn't circulating. Should I flush it again? I also let it idle and the temp rises after about 10 mins of sitting there on the center stand. Just ordered a gasket kit online, so time to keep replacing parts. Any suggestions would be awesome. Video below. Mahalo!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #27
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Update with some Pics!! Skelly

Well guys, an update finally. I have the bike running super good.
Work done:
1.Por-15 Gas tank. It was super rusty now it looks perfect.
2.Skelly
3.Exhaust gasket
4.Some black paint to cover the dirt and rust.
5.Three good carb cleanings

Now Mad Max is running like a champ. Put my surfboard rack on the other day and got my Vermont Plates last week. The guy I got it from on Craigslist didn't have a title and Hawaii was giving me hassles. So I went the Vermont route and I'm now good to go!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Looking good! These machines are solid and strong. It should run a long time.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #29
fullmetalscooter

Cool are you going to but some Metal floor boards in ?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
brycekauai OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Cool are you going to but some Metal floor boards in ?
I've seen some guys have welded some on, but I'm gonna focus on the dash and headlight for now. Wanna get a ruckus headlight set up and speedo. Its all about looking cool right? haha.