User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,437
Motorcycle Waranty aren't they mostly useless myth

Was look at a new Yamaha and it seemed Motorcycle Warranty are mostly a useless myth. Ride 100 miles into USA or canada depending where you live and something blows up your going to stuck in a debate with the Yamaha , honda etc about whom paying for it. and what might be covered. Seem that they can tell you go fly a kite and you ve got no a thing you can do about it. Not saying you may not end up with a break down paid for or anything like that . Just seem that 15% or less of buyers are going to ever use one. The dealer I went the warranty is with there 2 locations only because the registered the bikes with Yamaha which started the count down it. 2 years of sitting around mean Yamaha warranty is gone.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
Is this supposed to be in the PUI thread?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
The dealer I went the warranty is with there 2 locations only because the registered the bikes with Yamaha which started the count down it. 2 years of sitting around mean Yamaha warranty is gone.
Is this even english? Google translate maybe?
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,437
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
Is this even english? Google translate maybe?
Gee guess you re the spelling police . I feel maybe you should not care about something so small and cut people on ADV slack. Understand Some people have great reasons for bad spelling etc. might not be the there native tongue. Some one could have a shit head wipe them out on a bike leaving nasy problems etc. Happen all the time. Really doesn't matter at all. In my book it' of no different then putting down and insulting someone for no reason. Really just thoughtless crap is how I feel. But Since you seem so concern, If the same thing that happen to your at work that happen to me, I feel you would do no better at spelling etc . A guy hit me in the head with the bucket on Excavator I was teaching him to load. I Dont see many doing E#()$UI better afterwards. Let along functioning in life as well as I manage. . So that was how bad it was. No poor me shit afterwards. I might be over responding but after 4 years of seeing this on and off here I thought I might just respond. By doing it I m opening myself to more trolls but it does not feel good to have anyone put you down. Do as you want done to you . Live and let live .
\
Now back tothe question and if it's in the wrong spot whoops sorry Motorcycle Warranty aren't they mostly useless myth. It seem that your at the whim of the dealer and the company whom made it. IF you go outside of you country for a tour etc and the bike goes south you re out of luck sometime. Really how often does a bike break down in the first year of ownership? Thanks for your response on topic of warranty .
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Gee guess you re the spelling police . I feel maybe you should not care about something so small and cut people on ADV slack. Understand Some people have great reasons for bad spelling etc. might not be the there native tongue. Some one could have a shit head wipe them out on a bike leaving nasy problems etc. Happen all the time. Really doesn't matter at all. In my book it' of no different then putting down and insulting someone for no reason. Really just thoughtless crap is how I feel. But Since you seem so concern, If the same thing that happen to your at work that happen to me, I feel you would do no better at spelling etc . A guy hit me in the head with the bucket on Excavator I was teaching him to load. I Dont see many doing E#()$UI better afterwards. Let along functioning in life as well as I manage. . So that was how bad it was. No poor me shit afterwards. I might be over responding but after 4 years of seeing this on and off here I thought I might just respond. By doing it I m opening myself to more trolls but it does not feel good to have anyone put you down. Do as you want done to you . Live and let live .
\
Now back tothe question and if it's in the wrong spot whoops sorry Motorcycle Warranty aren't they mostly useless myth. It seem that your at the whim of the dealer and the company whom made it. IF you go outside of you country for a tour etc and the bike goes south you re out of luck sometime. Really how often does a bike break down in the first year of ownership? Thanks for your response on topic of warranty .

There's a lot more going on there than spelling issues bud...

No idea about Yamaha, but a friend just hammered the warranty on his Multistrada to the tune of $8K in parts alone. I haven't had any issues with my current bike, but had a couple of minor issues with the previous, a KTM, and they took good care of me. YMMV
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
The warranty usually doesn't get used, and shouldn't much. It's not there for normal wear or maintenance. It's not there for crashes. It's there in case there turns out to have been something wrong with the design, materials, or construction of the bike. They give you a reasonable time to ride it and make sure it's not got something wrong with it as delivered.

If someone buys it and lets it sit until the warranty runs out, that's not the manufacturer's fault. If the dealer is claiming that the warranty ran out while they had it on the floor, that's bullshit. The warranty starts when the first buyer buys it.

If a problem subject to warranty shows up, even if you are in another country, the manufacturer should make good on it, but since models and laws and other things vary from country to country, you might have to make your warranty claim in, or at least through, the country the bike was purchased in. But it still should be good.

So, no, motorcycle warrantees are not mostly useless myths. It sounds to me like your real problem is an unethical dealer.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,189
I never use a waranty on any bike.
But then I never had a BMW or other euro brand.
Most stuff on bikes is so easy and cheap to fix yourself, why bother going to a dealers?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
It's not there for normal wear or maintenance. It's not there for crashes. It's there in case there turns out to have been something wrong with the design, materials, or construction of the bike. They give you a reasonable time to ride it and make sure it's not got something wrong with it as delivered.

My '02 DR650 had the base gasket oil leak while under warrenty. It got fixed at no cost to me, just as it should be!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,002
[QUOTE=fullmetalscooter;20821068]. Some one could have a shit head wipe them out on a bike leaving nasy problems etc. QUOTE]

"Someone"

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
tunp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I look at warrenty as a safety net for a bad build or part failure. I also see it as the confidence the manufacture has in it's product.

That being said i only ever had to use the warrenty once on a bike, it was for a fuel pump failure and it was resolved no issues.
tunp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunp View Post
I look at warrenty as a safety net for a bad build or part failure.
Indeed. If the manufacturer is doing things right the warranty won't be used.

Not sure I'd want to deal with the OP either.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,462
I have had things fixed under warranty on several of the bikes I bought new. This included numerous repairs on a BMW such as replacing a cylinder head and replacing the battery. I have had warranty work done on several other brand bikes including Kawasaki, Suzuki, Aprilia and Kymco. I have generally been able to get things that broke during the warranty period fixed under warranty. A lot of this depends on the dealer. This is one reason to take your business to a good dealer, not just the one that offers the lowest price.

So, to answer the OP's question, warrantee's are NOT a myth.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
your warranty is as good as the particular dealer's warranty claims writer
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
It's in the dealers and manufacturers' best interests to fix your broken bike. I've not heard too many gripes about them not backing up someone's real issues. They don't want bad publicity.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,434
Quote:
Ride 100 miles into USA or canada depending where you live and something blows up your going to stuck in a debate with the Yamaha , honda etc about whom paying for it.
Warranties on any consumer product are only good in the country of purchase.

You buy a Canadian bike with a Canadian warranty and break down in Mexico or The USA? It's going to be on your dime.

Big problem with consumer electronics being sold online, Ebay, etc. Selling Korean or other market cameras, etc. in the USA. If the consumer has a problem, the USA distributor will not honor the warranty. Buyer beware.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote