Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #31
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post

Yeah I wonder why some inmates ride. How can they have any fun worrying about everything?
I also wounder why some bother riding.........................
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #32
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
There are some things I really don't want strapped to my body. Those reside in an enduro bag. But then I am an offroad oriented guy. Therefore it is matter of when not if I crash hard. So it only makes sense to not want to fall on pointy things.

But my cell phone, keys, wallet, etc. aren't things I worry about. In that case common sense and convenience win. Hell even my 7" tablet goes in a jacket pocket. However, things like tire irons, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. do not get strapped to me.

I think that goes back to a wreck I worked as a firefighter. A woman I knew had been impaled by something from inside her car. She wasn't in immediate danger and I had to leave her hanging upside down like that. That one really stuck with me.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #33
BuddingGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Not wanting to cause some crap, but........
I am one of those in the camp (read my earlier post) of things in pockets can cause injuries in a crash.

My question is for those who advocate carrying phones and other things in their pockets, how many of you have been in a lengthy slide, roll, tumble down the asphalt that results in a ambulance ride?

Some of us actually know what we talk about and are not paranoid.
BuddingGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #34
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
Does a 60 mph endo onto rocks count?

My cell phone survived that one though the long slide (steep downhills make them longer) under the bike ground up an MX boot and left me with some unpleasant road rash on my ass.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
BuddingGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Does a 60 mph endo onto rocks count?

My cell phone survived that one though the long slide (steep downhills make them longer) under the bike ground up an MX boot and left me with some unpleasant road rash on my ass.
Yes it counts
BuddingGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #36
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,074
It's kinda important to have the phone with your I.C.E. contacts on your person, available to rescue personell. They won't be rooting around in your tank bag for it.

If you are injured, but not reaaly bad, it's nice to have the phone to call a friend to retreive the bike, let family know you're at the hospital, etc.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #37
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Having broken a rib by carrying stuff in my pocket I think my justifcation is from an experience I don't want to repeat

Yes you could justify carrying it to say if your were separated from the tank bag you'd not want to crawl back ... but you could also say by carrying it you have more chance of damaging it than there is inside the tank bag? [In my circumstance the rib was broken having saved the perpetrator from all damage, I would have been happier the other way around! ] Swings and roundabouts in all directions. Take your pick. Don't blame us if it would have been better elsewhere .. 'best' is specific to one circumstance.
Was that "stuff" a flat smartphone? I might agree that bulky items in locations that could receive an impact in a crash may be a bad thing but I don't believe anything hitting a phone would then cause the phone to do more damage than the impact would cause anyway. Of course if you carry a brick phone from 1980 you may have a point.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #38
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,193
Long distance riding during the day it's in tankbag. Day trips or around town in left jacket pocket.
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #39
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,545
I have three options I use.

#1. Ram x-mount attached to the bars. Easiest all around, but probably not the safest.

#2. Tank bag. Safe, but hard to adjust volume. Have to do the earbud shuffle to get at your phone when off the bike.

#3. My FirstGear jacket has an inner cell phone pocket. Nice because then it comes with you, but a pain because you can't adjust the volume as easily.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #40
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
+1000
Anything carried in a pocket is a potential worse injury. If carried in a jacket pocket is a likely broken rib(s) and the phone will be destroyed anyway. I'm sure glad I had my phone in the tank bag in a 70mph getoff last year. The jacket's spine protector broke 7 of my ribs. Had the phone been carried in the phone pocket of the jacket liner it would have been crushed and I could have added to the broken rib total.
This seems entirely impossible... Until it happens.

My phone was in a cargo pocket, so it slid out of the way. But I had a knife clipped in my front pocket. I landed on my right side, destroying the phone and adding a couple scratches to the knife's clip. I had the coolest bruise ever, and that spot on my hip is STILL sore occasionally months later. My wallet was in the same front pocket and barely left a mark, but landing on that knife was bad news.

I keep mine in a lower pocket on my 3/4 jacket now. There's no bone behind it, so it'd just push on my spare tire and intestines. That's a risk I'm willing to take to have the phone on my person vs. in the locked topcase (I don't have a tank bag).

As for ICE contacts, my life is on my smartphone (e-mail, banking, etc.) and losing it is FAR more likely than crashing, so it's useless to anyone who doesn't have the password. Another risk balancing exercise, but realistically if I can't talk there's only one number to call and everyone knows 911/112.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #41
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
It's funny. I know a lot of people who say pretty authoritatively that 'stuff in your pockets hurts you in a crash'. I always wonder, if this is true, why most touring jackets seem to be competing in some 'more pockets than ever before' competition.

The worst crash I ever had, I had a wallet in one torso pocket, my phone and garage door remote in the other. One lower front pocket, I had a hard case for my Garmin. The only serious injury was on the other lower side, the one empty pocket on my jacket. I have often wondered what'd of happened, had I had my wallet in that pocket instead...

EDIT: It was a pretty serious crash BTW; bike written off, spell intensive care for me.

Ceri JC screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 04:54 AM
Ceri JC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #42
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
Not wanting to cause some crap, but........
I am one of those in the camp (read my earlier post) of things in pockets can cause injuries in a crash.

My question is for those who advocate carrying phones and other things in their pockets, how many of you have been in a lengthy slide, roll, tumble down the asphalt that results in a ambulance ride?

Some of us actually know what we talk about and are not paranoid.
When I whacked a deer at 45mph or so and managed to go over the bars prior to sliding/tumbling on the pavement, I had a wallet, a revolver, and my cellphone in my pockets. My only serious injury was a broken collarbone. I did take a ride in the ambulance. I don't recall any soreness from places any of these things were and I know the side with the gun and phone had at least some contact with the road.

I had been riding alone toward evening on a not terribly busy road, so it was nice being able to make a call to 911 while pinned under the bike in an awkward position (feet pointing up while twisted at torso so my chest was flat on the ground. I lucked out and someone happened by to get the bike off of me before the 911 folks showed up, but still it was good to have them on the way as soon as possible.

the_sandman_454 screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 04:19 AM
the_sandman_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #43
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,827
I keep my phone packed in a sidecase or topcase, usually tucked inside a pair of extra gloves. It's a rugged little phone but why have it get banged around unnecessarily.

I'm not riding off-road, so I don't need to carry my phone on my person in case of a crash where I get separated from the bike.

And I'm not going to answer my phone while I'm riding. That's why I'm riding: so people can't talk to me.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #44
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Tank Bag.

The only things you want to carry on your body are things that will crush before you do. E.G. Hanky, muesli bars, ear plugs...

The things you want quick access too, and don't want to leave parked on the bike should go into your tank bag. E.G. Phone, wallet, camera, pens and paper, maps, sunscreen, sunglasses, lip balm...

Except that in most crashes, you and the bike are separated. If you can't physically get to the bike, you might not get to your phone before it's too late.

I carry mine in the inside breast pocket of my riding jacket. I still use a very thin flip phone -- often I forget it's there. I'd have to do a full-on chest-plant to break the thing or a rib on it, and even with a broken rib I'd rather have the phone where I could get it if I need to.

I would NOT carry one in a hip pocket -- that sounds like a great way for some serious pain, and definitely a broken phone.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #45
nanox14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
And I'm not going to answer my phone while I'm riding. That's why I'm riding: so people can't talk to me.
WHAT HE SAID
nanox14 is offline   Reply With Quote