User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
danh600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Starter drags when warm.

I have a 2010 VT1300 Honda. Has the original battery. It starts right up when it's cold. If the weather is cool out it starts right up. If it's really hot out and I run it for an extended period of time the starter drags.

I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't reproduce the problem. So they did nothing. I guess I should be glad they didn't just throw a new battery in there hopeing that would fix it.

My question is - Can't the electric components be tested to isolate the problem. Everyone I talk to says "Well it could be the battery or it could be the starter".
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post
I have a 2010 VT1300 Honda. Has the original battery. It starts right up when it's cold. If the weather is cool out it starts right up. If it's really hot out and I run it for an extended period of time the starter drags.

I took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't reproduce the problem. So they did nothing. I guess I should be glad they didn't just throw a new battery in there hopeing that would fix it.

My question is - Can't the electric components be tested to isolate the problem. Everyone I talk to says "Well it could be the battery or it could be the starter".
It can also be the engine electronic controls, not retarding the timing. Or a nonfunctional compression release. Even a leaking fuel injector can cause this, if the engine is hot enough to diesel.
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,352
What does a voltmeter say if you try to start it when things are hot? Does the battery voltage fall flat?
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
danh600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
It can also be the engine electronic controls, not retarding the timing. Or a nonfunctional compression release. Even a leaking fuel injector can cause this, if the engine is hot enough to diesel.
That open up a whole new can of worms. I didn't realize it could be those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
What does a voltmeter say if you try to start it when things are hot? Does the battery voltage fall flat?
I am pretty limited in my mechanical abilities and tools. I don't have a voltmeter. But that is really why I was asking. Shouldn't the dealer have been able to stick a meter on there and at least rule some things out?

I'll look into getting someone to put a voltmeter on it. First step at least.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,571
if it were a high mile bike the first thing I would look at is the shaft bushings in the starter motor

how many miles?

how hard is it to pull the starter?
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
DRTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post

Had exactly the same problem on my GS, start perfect when cold, engine hot no way..................... Epoxy on the magnets let go and one mgnet was resting on the stator, as mentioned above pull the starter & have a lookie, good luck.
Pads
DRTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
danh600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
if it were a high mile bike the first thing I would look at is the shaft bushings in the starter motor

how many miles?

how hard is it to pull the starter?

Not sure on the starter. I have a service manual but limited abilities. I'll do some research and see if that is something I feel comfortable doing. I have learned to do all the general maintenance, but haven't really gotten into trouble shooting and repairs.

Thanks for all the replies guys.