User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Yakima OP
I'm slow...

Oddometer: 272
Medical devices: Where?

I wear an insulin pump. Had diabetes for 47 of my 57 years.
Had the pump on my belt, went down and destroyed the pump. They are EXPENSIVE! Even with insurance.
Now I wear a lanyard attached to the pump and put the pump in an inner chest pocket of my jacket. Tubing runs down to thigh or belly where the infusion set attaches.
Anyone have better or alternative ideas on where to wear a pump or other similar devices?
TIA
Yakima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,427
I travel with a CPAP machine -- not at all the same, I realize, but I also worry about destroying it on the bike.

Perhaps you could find a pelican micro case that can "armor" the pump, and carry it in an outside pocket of your riding gear, or perhaps a backpack.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
You could put some straps on a small pelican case, make it a little backpack thing.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,544
I have a buddy who's now over 50 and has been wearing a pump since there were pumps. One thing he's told me is that whatever waterproofing/ruggedizing solution you use, be very careful not to crimp the tubing. He had a rather nasty incident where his tubing was crimped and he didn't know it.

Also be careful of anything that will trap too much heat.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I have a buddy who's now over 50 and has been wearing a pump since there were pumps. One thing he's told me is that whatever waterproofing/ruggedizing solution you use, be very careful not to crimp the tubing. He had a rather nasty incident where his tubing was crimped and he didn't know it.

Also be careful of anything that will trap too much heat.
A pelican case could be set up with a QD bulkhead fitting of some sort, that would solve the tube issue. Heat buildup, I dunno - how hot do they get and is there a recommended max operating temperature?
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Yakima OP
I'm slow...

I like the pelican case idea. The pump is waterproof and the tubing is very small diameter so it wouldn't be difficult to set that up.
Heat? Pump is OK, insulin, though, degrades with heat. I use an evaporative crystal cooler which probably wouldn't work with the pelican case. (See Frio for the cooler--terrific product I've used traveling throughout the world.
Good ideas: more!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
IMHO Use a small pelican case as a tank bag. It will totally protect the unit, and you can insulate it to keep the insulin cool. A qucks disconnect can be used to make it totally portable with a shoulder sling.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Yakima OP
I'm slow...

Jim--tank bag might work but adds a layer of nervousness for me. If I don't remember it's there--something well within my level of, shall we say, stupidity--I'm getting off the bike and probably yanking the infusion set out of my body. Not a good thing.
Might work, Though. I'll ponder that idea too. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

I assume there is no break-away valve kind of thing for this?

How big is the unit? Based on impact zones for crashing, high chest or center lower back are the two locations that get the least impact. A proper vest with a sewn in pocket could do the trick. There are a few companies that will custom make the vest you might use.

Jim
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Yakima OP
I'm slow...

No breakaway valve.
Right now with a small camera soft case on a neck lanyard holding the pump which then fits in an inside jacket pocket about mid-upper chest-level is what I've got. It's a hassle--but the whole pump is a hassle. Hell--diabetes is one colossal PITA all by itself. Glucose monitoring, highs and lows. Man! Not something good let me tell you!
But I'm not a diabetic; I'm a person with diabetes. There's a difference.
I think where I have it is relatively safe I case of a get-off. But its hassle coefficient is quite high. I'm hoping someone has THE solution, something I haven't thought of?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Google "technical kidney belt" or "kidney belt with pocket" - that should get you some interesting stuff.

Then add some kind of hard casing to put the pump in. Doesn't need to be fancy, a sturdy plastic food container will probably do the trick.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #12
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

I feel for you, my mom died from complications from diabetes. It is not a fun situation. I hope you find a reasonable solution.

Jim
Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

You could lock one of those gel ice packs inside a larger pelican case -- with the foam, it should stay cool half a day. Or maybe since the pump is waterproof, you just toss in a few ice cubes every time you fill up with gas.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #14
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,344
You might ponder this with the sewing guy "Brady" under vendors. He is a wiz at sewing custom stuff up, crash bar bags, tool bags, document bags, custom gear bags, etc. If you could find the proper armored container, small pelican, etc., Brady could dream you up a shoulder holster for it or something, thigh pack like the SWAT guys wear, something. He is very affordable and has totally anal attention to detail.

Consider that you are plowing ground here for others potentially with the same concern. I have the CPAP issue, and have helped other guys find or rig 12 volt equipment and alternate battery rigs on a budget for motorcycle camping. It never occurred to me to profit from it, I was always happy enough just helping out another rider or pointing them to the right sources. Heck, a guy on a Harley forum gave me some great ideas that I still use and share.

Turns out that there are lots of Harley types with the sleep disorder, go figger.

Link to Brady the sewing guy:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487221

I would also have a look at Aerostich and Twisted Throttle, something container-wise or bag-wise might give you an idea, or might really lend itself to the situation.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Yep: I'll give a hearty +1 on Brady's products and service -- he's a top notch vendor.

Funny you mention him -- I have to get some luggage stuff from him, and was thinking of commissioning him to make a durable sleeping chin strap --- I really hate the flimsy elastic ones: they wear out in about a month and dont' get tight enough to keep my big yap closed, leading to seismic-grade snoring.

I also have done a 12v conversion for my CPAP. I use a small Shorai battery, and have a charging lead on my bike for longer trips. Believe it or not, TSA actually allows it on redeye flights. It's wired with an SAE connector, and charges with a wall-wart sized battery tender. Works beautifully.