User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,921
How long does it take to re-grow....

... about 1cm2 of skin? I have a finger in need of some new surfaces due to a crazy glove failure during a track mishap. Will be visiting the Dr on friday assuming nothing really bad happens before then.

I was not on the F, that is fine. I just need some bigger gloves to manage the bandaging.

Finger
Glove

atomicalex screwed with this post 06-27-2012 at 08:05 AM
atomicalex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Damn... I was expecting rash but that's just gone!
I'd be very careful to keep it clean with no skin at all there. Your doctor won't be happy with you for waiting :)

No idea how long that will take to cover up but looking at the gloves, it could have been a ton worse.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Oh, for sure. But let's say that I won't be recommending these gloves or the Mid-Ohio School to anyone any time soon.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Oh, for sure. But let's say that I won't be recommending these gloves or the Mid-Ohio School to anyone any time soon.
Why wouldn't you recommend the school? Did they make you crash?
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
A couple of weeks.

keep neosporin on it for the first few days and keep it covered

once it starts building a scab, put neosporin on twice a day but keep it uncovered

edit: good gloves are ESSENTIAL for trackdays. 150-250 for a pair of gloves is much better than a Dr. appt and missing skin

try something like http://www.highvelocitygear.com/formula.html

it has much more pinky protection!
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
Why wouldn't you recommend the school? Did they make you crash?
Na,I made Me Crash. What pissed Me off was how The "instructor" handled It. Instead Of sitting Me Down And reviewing The mistake, he Kind Of croaked out "Sorry" And ran away. And That was only After i was walking around The paddock Later And accidently bumped Into Him while getting out Of someone else's way. So My gripe Centers around Basic dbaggery, Not The Crash. Crashes happen AT The track. Better There then almost anywhere else.

Neosporin It Is. Hitting The ER anyway To check For breaks. It swelled up Pretty Bad This evening.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
Still doesn't sound like the schools fault.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

I never said it was. I said they were buttheads. If I am introducing someone to track riding, I would prefer to send them to a school or club that did not have a noticeable percentage of buttheads. That is all.

Still following the neosporin advice. :)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,831
waaa...

We're all buttheads, then. Did you learn from your accident or just become more insulated from the fraternity? It'll heal, tell us what made it happen, so we can learn. Chicks, you've heard, dig scars. Bikers like stories, embellishment ok. Bench racing, hard to beat. How 'bout a sammich, make a few, we wanna hear. I rode over here, so I'll come back for a beer later.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
Chicks, you've heard, dig scars.
This chick would prefer to remain scarless....

I learned a ton from the track day. Just loads. Body position, using my legs, etc.

The accident? Not as much as I wish I did. I did learn that I should let go of the bike immediately when you know you've lost it. I suppose after a few more crashes, I'll get a good idea of where that point is. lol hopefully do not have that chance.

So, what happened....

Track was set up with a chicane before the Keyhole. The Keyhole is a double apex u-turn, and the chicane slows things down at the entry. I came out of the chicane wider than I had previously (was taking the other rider's line as directed). There was nothing particularly wrong with his line, but it did benefit from wiiiide tyres as it got into the marbles that had built up from the weekend car day, and whatever was coming off the bikes. I did not have that much tyre (tiny little vintage 175cc Honda), so I should have cut my line and run closer to the inside. I got into my lean and was coming around out of the chicane into the entrance to the Keyhole (turn 2) when the entire bike lifted off the ground. I hadn't even ground the peg at that point. It was totally surreal - I remember thinking "hmmm. so this is a low-side. how interesting....". We went sailing because I did not have the presence of mind to release the bike. The slide on the pavement was less then a couple of meters and rotated the bike with the rear coming around the outside. The bike planted (what I thought was) unusually vertical in the gravel and the front brake lever (not that it did any good) was sacrificed to the track gods. At some point, (we are guessing here) my hand came into contact with a tyre and the abrasion occured then. I rolled away with my head up (a skill I got as a child from going down the stairs headfirst more than a few times) and got the toes of my boots into the gravel to stabilize. Popped up, hit the kill switch, and started checking limbs. Hopped onto the tyre wall and waved at the corner worker, who came across to check on me. Emptied the gravel out of my boots. Waited on med truck and trailer.

The consensus is that I hit loose rubber and floated. The learning: stay out of the loose rubber. :P

atomicalex screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 05:08 AM
atomicalex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,831
I had a similar lowside on small gravel I didn't notice until too late. I was new to road riding, on my shiny-new '72 Kawasaki 90. I believe you are correct about the tires, I watch a lot more carefully for road debris now, but the newer tubeless rounded-profile tires seem more planted in corners.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,304
Question cleaned

Did the medics scrub the wound at the track?
If so, and you keep Neosporin on it, it should be fully healed in 2 1/2-3 weeks.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
This chick would prefer to remain scarless....
Well that explains the long fingernails! I wasn't gonna say anything seeing as you were hurt already...
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:47 AM   #14
atomicalex OP
silly aluminum boxes

Yes, it was cleaned up at the track - hosed out good and then smeared over with neosporin. I stopped by the local ER, who gave me some antibiotics to take also. Still trying to get an appointment with my regular dr. I was quite pleased to have NOT broken a nail. I like to reserve that for fighting with VW motors....

The one towards the tip looked a lot better this morning, like it's trying to get back together and starting to grow a bit. The splint from the ER helps a lot as it keeps me from doing too much with it.

I bought some bigger gloves to fit over the bandaging. I found this super-cool bandage-by-the-metre over here, it's very low profile and I can pull the split for rides as the gloves support the finger nicely.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,043
Any of these http://www.highvelocitygear.com/superior-gloves.html

And probably about 2 weeks.

That looks like it's gonna itch like crazy. Might want to get some of the no stick mesh bandages to wrap it with.

No, I don't remember what they are called, but they work great to cover a wound without pulling the scab off when you change the dressing.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote