Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,476

I just got a wonderful custom slutty red document bag that I ordered from Brady so I had him on the brain.

This will just sound baad, "I wish I could sew"

I use the 79$ DEKA sealed battery for camping and ice fishing for my 12 volt CPAP. I know it goes two full nights, never tried it longer.

AND, it still starts the bike after two nights, as an experiment.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #17
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakima View Post
I wear an insulin pump. Had diabetes for 47 of my 57 years.
Had the pump on my belt, went down and destroyed the pump. They are EXPENSIVE! Even with insurance.
Now I wear a lanyard attached to the pump and put the pump in an inner chest pocket of my jacket. Tubing runs down to thigh or belly where the infusion set attaches.
Anyone have better or alternative ideas on where to wear a pump or other similar devices?
TIA
I use a pelican 1010 case for insulin on longer trips. You can get a cup of ice anywhere and I just throw it in. The thing doesn't leak. Goes in the luggage. Use a regular insulin cooler on day trips. it's good for almost 24 hours.. but the pelican case is bulky. Putting it on your body is asking for a severe injury in a crash. On your back it can break your spine, on the chest it can break sternum or ribs. These can be fatal injuries in an otherwise non-fatal crash.

For protection on the unit you can't beat a pelican in the tankbag with a bright reminder lanyard alligator clipped to your jacket. In a crash, the pulled out infusion set is the least of your worries. Carry a spare.

On the body, I would go for the unit in a neoprene sleeve on the front of the thigh. Wear body armor. I have some of these:

http://www.actionstation.com/catalog...l.php?prod=BGK

Very comfortable. Add a pocket to the front of the thigh for an additional piece of armor (cut out of a thigh pad) and the pump.. You could even go for a pelican here worn over the clothing if you had the armor under it and the pelican on an elastic band so it can tear away if things get really nasty. The front of the thigh tends to take scraping blows more than direct impacts (going over the bars hitting a deer for instance). in a bad accident you want it to scrape off. Also you are wearing the thing over the most massive bone in your body and the most massive muscles. Again, losing the infusion set is the least of your worries.

The inside of the upper arm is another possible. You want one of those neoprene armbands joggers use to hold a walkman. But wear the unit on the inside of the arm, the outside is an impact zone. Off the bike swivel it to the outside for comfort, in a riding position the arms are out and it should be fine on the inside.

BTW, The Pelican 1010 will fit inside a LowePro Z20 camera case (snugly). The camera case in turn has a neck lanyard ,belt loop and outside pocket for goodies. Plenty of mounting points for a front of thigh or top of tankbag rig. The 1010 alone (and the longer 1030) has single mounting point for a strap and/or lanyard.

Plaka screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 12:45 AM
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote