Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #31
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
WAIT
You seem to have forgot the Buell. Far less maint than the above. Has anyone actually even seen an air filter on a Strom?

Try to ride them first, even if it means renting for a day. Maybe one will speak to you, easy decision then.

THIS is wisdom. Ride a Uly that has been set up for you. Oh wait, I forgot that none of the above have adjustable suspension. Uly does.

Pete
Yeah, never owned a Buell, but, the people I know who did were very happy with them - until they grenaded. I'll concede the low maintenance, but , short lived as well. That's a small set, two out of two, and not in the US where support and parts are probably a bit better.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #32
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlybrooks View Post
I've found 2 06's, one with side bags, one with side bags and top bag, and an 08 with no bags but the side bag mounts. All 3 are between 13k and 16k miles. So from what I'm thinking, the 06's have the better seats, the 08 has all the other improvements. I would like the bags, at least the side bags. The bags they have are the factory hard cases. Price would likely be nearly identical. So what's the better buy. I don't know if I can come up with the cash for the bags with the baby on the way, but if the 08 is that much better, maybe I just strap a bag on the back for the trips. Any thoughts on which way to go?
I'd go for the '08, even without the bags. Some of the '06 bikes had a few gremlins to work out and the '08 has a few nice upgrades to the engine and fuel maps. Some good reading here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810610 and on Badweatherbikers on the changes.

Prior
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #33
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post
I'd go for the '08, even without the bags. Some of the '06 bikes had a few gremlins to work out and the '08 has a few nice upgrades to the engine and fuel maps. Some good reading here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810610 and on Badweatherbikers on the changes.

Prior
I agree, go with the 08. The TPS reset is cake w/the 08 plus like Prior said, the engine/ECM upgrades are worth it. I love my 06 but having the first gen of anything can be a gamble.

List of Model Year changes from BadWeb.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #34
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,793
I am on my second 06. First one did not Grenade but was totalled by an unfortunate interaction with one of our furry woodland creatures. Probably not a more comfortable seat in all of motorcycledom. If you are not one to "fiddle" with your bikes to get them running correctly than I would also suggest an 08 or newer. I am comfortable enough that I am in ECMspy all the time tweaking the maps.

Some more info to help push you ever the edge.
Buell Bliss
Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #35
North_of_55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Uly would probably work!

I'll admit that I haven't read the whole thread, but I wanted to comment.

I am 37, 6-1" around 250lbs. My first street bike was a '93 XR250L, then a KLR, then a WeeStrom (partnered with DR350SE) and now an '08 XB12X.

While there are days when I still long for more off-road ability I absolutely love the Buell! I have had ECM issues (cracked) that are hopefully resolved with the EBR ECM that I got for Christmas but really thoroughly enjoy the bike.

I've never had a bike that I didn't love in some way... but the Strom left me longing for something a) more refined b) more powerful and c) different.

The seat on XB12X is excellent! The suspension is (compared to my strom) adbsolutely amazing. It sounds nice... and when the ECM wasn't acting up the roll-on torque is very... um... fun! When it has what I call "moments of clarity" it would lift the front end in 1st and 2nd with nothing more than a well timed flick of the wrist.

There are other things too: No chain to oil or adjust, no valves to adjust, brakes are powerful. Mine came with a set of PIAA lights on the front so I can't comment too much on lighting.

What I like most about it is the uniqueness of the machine. I've never seen another Uly in my area (not a single one) and it's amazing how many people pull up beside me at lights (cars, trucks, bikes) and ask "What is that thing?"

I will admit that I won't be doing any bush bashing with it, but it eats up dirt roads and has a very nice ride on the black top.

North_of_55 screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 11:25 AM
North_of_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #36
Lars1974
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
I have an 06 Uly, actually built Jan 06 - so very early!
And apart from a snapped belt at 18k after a tyre change with probably wrong wheel install which caused the belt to be not at correct tension and than snapping, i had no issues!

Sometimes when it rains it runs only on one pot for a bit, but thats probably just water reaching a plug lead etc.

Anyway, I too love my Uly and will keep it!
Lars1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #37
sperz1
UnStudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
30k on my uly and i think everyone's advice here is spot on. Sounds like the bike might be a good fit for you.

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #38
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
So it sounds like 08 with no bags is a better deal? It does, however have mounts for side bags, anybody have a good option for hard(lockable) bags? Also, the 08 has a taller windscreen, not sure what model.
And one other question, this may sound dumb, but here goes. Since I don't have any kids yet, I don't know what my time situation will be like once the little one is born, but I imagine there will be very little. So there's a chance my only riding for a while(couple years at least?) could be my daily commute to work, which is only about 18 miles from the farm to my job on the edge of town. Will I still enjoy the Ulysses as much on the short hauls?
Oh, and here's the link to the specific one I'm looking at...
http://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/new...86&pov=3075547
Any thoughts?
theoneandonlybrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #39
North_of_55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Little People Aren't the End!

The one you're looking at is essentially the same as mine.

Mine came with a high windshield, PIAA 510's and a service manual. I sure wish it had come with the pannier mounts!

Every situation is unique... but I have had at least one bike (most of the time 2) since well before my kids were born. In fact I bought my wife's first bike when my son was just over a year old!

Now we have two (6 & 3) and we've both managed to find time to ride!

I don't get to travel on my bike very often, but I ride to work nearly every day. My long-time riding buddy has a similar family at home, so we go for the occasional 3 hour ride at night. Not ideal, but it works for us.

With two little ones I think we both kinda look at our bikes as a quick way to have some really good 'me-time' away from the house. Hopping on a bike to go pick up a kids prescription in town is somehow much better for the soul (and sanity) than making the same trip in the mini van!

Some days I'll leave 15 minutes early for work just to take a longer way in and score a little extra saddle time to help maintain my mental state.

The main reason I bought the Uly was so that I could cram as much fun into my short riding time as possible!

The only reason i see for getting rid of a bike because a baby was born is financial. That can of worms is best dealt with on a wife-by-wife basis!
North_of_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_55 View Post
The one you're looking at is essentially the same as mine.

Mine came with a high windshield, PIAA 510's and a service manual. I sure wish it had come with the pannier mounts!

Every situation is unique... but I have had at least one bike (most of the time 2) since well before my kids were born. In fact I bought my wife's first bike when my son was just over a year old!

Now we have two (6 & 3) and we've both managed to find time to ride!

I don't get to travel on my bike very often, but I ride to work nearly every day. My long-time riding buddy has a similar family at home, so we go for the occasional 3 hour ride at night. Not ideal, but it works for us.

With two little ones I think we both kinda look at our bikes as a quick way to have some really good 'me-time' away from the house. Hopping on a bike to go pick up a kids prescription in town is somehow much better for the soul (and sanity) than making the same trip in the mini van!

Some days I'll leave 15 minutes early for work just to take a longer way in and score a little extra saddle time to help maintain my mental state.

The main reason I bought the Uly was so that I could cram as much fun into my short riding time as possible!

The only reason i see for getting rid of a bike because a baby was born is financial. That can of worms is best dealt with on a wife-by-wife basis!
Well my Nightster is plenty enjoyable on the daily commute, so I'm wondering if trading will be worth it if I only get to make the daily trip to work. I would think the Nightster might hold its resale a little better. Having bags would be nice when heading to work though, and the Nightster just wouldn't be right with bags. Probably I would be happier
with the ulysses. It would be nice to have the money for both.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #41
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars1974 View Post
I have an 06 Uly,

Sometimes when it rains it runs only on one pot for a bit, but thats probably just water reaching a plug lead etc.

Anyway, I too love my Uly and will keep it!
Lars, I'd bet a significant sum that your skipping in the rain is due to your 77 connector. You may wish to pull that apart and see if you have any melted plastic in there.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
theoneandonlybrooks OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the help. Today I had to work the early shift so I was off at noon, and since it was 60 degrees, I decided to go for a ride. I went to a city about 35 miles away, to get an oil filter for my atv at a dealership. They had a brand new DL1000, which I sat on, and it felt pretty nice. Is this another bike I should look at before I pull the trigger on a Buell?
A big part of my reason for all this trading business is how my back feels on the nightster. I think because I end up sitting up straight, my back is holding me upright, which wears on it, and I think my shoulders slump forward. I'm going through physical therapy now for the back issues and possibly a minor torn rotator cuff. The therapist has been working on getting my shoulder blades to shift backward more where they're supposed to be. My theory is if I'm leaned forward just a little with weight on my arms, it would do this and take the weight off my back. When I sat on the V-Strom, it felt much better, and like the weight was off my back. I'm guessing the Ulysses riding position is similar. Any good comparisons between the two?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #43
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,487
I suggest you look at the posts by 996DL - he had a VStrom for years and spent a lot of time and money farkling it but eventually went for a Buell and is very happy that he did.

The 'Strom is a great entry level machine with a great engine but Suzuki saved money everywhere else.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #44
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,202
If the bike has stock Buell/Hepco Becker mounts, the best lockable bags I found were used and came off of a KTM. I eventually went to a set of Wolfman Dry Bags which I really liked. Had also switched out the plastics on my 09 Uly XT to black from red + a few other farkles.
Biggest mistake I made was selling it. 800 mile days were not an issue and I'm in my mid 60's. Had 3 Harley's before the Buell and traded an 03 Road King for it.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #45
cycletlh
Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer: 120
Almost 50,000 miles on my 07 that I bought new. Would not hesitate to buy another. Year would not matter.

Biggest maintenance expense has been tires. Still on my second belt and carry the original as a spare. 1 set of rocker box gaskets, 2 cooling fans (leaking rocker box gaskets killed the second one), 2 sets of rear wheel bearings, 1 ignition switch, 1 front rotor along with new pads. Oil changes every 4 to 6k with no valves to adjust.

Went to the bike show today. The only bike I saw that I thought might work as a replacement was the Ducati Multistrada. At $22,000 for the Pikes Peak version the Buell and I are going to remain friends for quite some time.
cycletlh is offline   Reply With Quote