Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
LouDiamond OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Headed to Sturgis next week on my GS1200. Any shops i should make sure to hit?

Headed back to sturgis this year on my BMW. I went a few years back and just rode and rode and rode. This year, i'd like to spend some more time poking around town. Curious if anyone has any suggestions for places i should make sure to hit.

I found a couple things that look cool:

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

http://www.gypsievintagecycle.com/index2.htm

glad to have any suggestions!
LouDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
pedalmike
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 140
Not sure where you are departing from but please note that Bench mark works is in Sturgis, MS, not Sturgis SD. Vech is a great guy though.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,770
I liked walking around Deadwood. It reminded me of Virginia City, NV, except bigger.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
GOZFST
Gozfst

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDiamond View Post
Headed back to sturgis this year on my BMW. I went a few years back and just rode and rode and rode. This year, i'd like to spend some more time poking around town. Curious if anyone has any suggestions for places i should make sure to hit.

I found a couple things that look cool:

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

http://www.gypsievintagecycle.com/index2.htm

glad to have any suggestions!
Sturgis Yamaha BMW is a nice shop, last year they offered demo rides during the Rally. Unfortunately all the good roads will be plugged up with foot draggers.
Nemo Road out of Rapid City is a very pretty ride, it goes through Nemo and you can stay on that thru to Deadwood or take VanOcker Canyon Rd out to Sturgis. It is by far one of the prettiest roads I've been on. Going S out of Deadwood thru Lead you can get down to Cheyenne Crossing (don't miss the Indian Tacos there) and out Spearfish Canyon Rd to Spearfish and from there Devils Tower. Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse will be packed, As far as I'm concerned you can see all you need to see about Crazy Horse from the highway. If you want a side trip from Nemo Rd take the turn to Johnson Siding and out 44 down to Custer and Hot Springs. The Needles Highway in Custer Park is a very nice ride , but again will be very slow. You can take the Wild Life loop early in the AM and see lots of Buffalo and antelope. Be careful because the Buffalo roam across the road. A few years ago my buddy got chased a short distance on his GS by a cow Buffalo when she thought he was too close to her baby. The Mamoth site in Hot Springs is very interesting. Depending on where you are coming from a trip thru the Badlands Loop off 90 is definitely worth the time. For a nice dirt road ride and if you're camping there is a free campground off Sage Creek Rd near the West end end of the Park. It's primitive and very frequently has Buffalo roaming through it. Take Sage Creek Rd S from the campground towards the town of Scenic (it's not) to highway 44, that is a very nice not frequently used road that will take into Rapid City.
GOZFST is offline   Reply With Quote