Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,112
Yes you're point is valid for those traveling outside their country (like I pointed out too),
but since you quoted me, that was not the point I was replying to.

The OP (a US citizen) will be traveling in the US.
I stated that he will not have problems anywhere he goes using his credit credit within the US.

There is no need to contact your CC company to let them know you will be traveling around the US.
I've used many different cards all over the US without a problem.

...I guess if you CC company is a nanny company that watches every one of your moves or you have crap credit, then they might reject a charge. I've used Chase, Discover, Amex, Wells Fargo, USAA and other CC with no issues all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Err your a US citizen, close to 'home', if your not a US citizen then a separate card from a separate bank in a separate place is a good idea.
=============
What ever you forgot to take can be bought along the way ... if you have ENOUGH MONEY. Take plenty of that money stuff and you can forget to take the bike and still have a good trip.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 04:43 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
?
I've traveled all over the US and never had a single problem with the card not working. Yes that's needed outside of the US but not within.
Au contraire!

I have had the credit card company deny a payment at a gas station and call my home to verify that the charge was OK. Thankfully, my wife was home to tell them that I was, in fact, traveling cross-country and using the credit card. Yes, this was in the US, and the same has happened to my riding buddies. I now call the credit card companies whenever I take a trip, and I carry more than one CC in case one doesn't work.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
May sound silly, but the things I had to stop and buy during the ride was a set of fingernail clippers and some lip balm!!
Like most riders: for long trips my tankbag becomes my hole for all that type stuff that you may need at anytime in the length of time you'll be gone. I also carry my current area maps,days pills, water btl, snot rag, small towel on top of all for this & that use,camera,chargers,extra reading glasses,sunglasses,clear safety glasses & more. I actually keep that sort of stuff in my tank bag so I don't have to re-invent each trip. My jacket gets the more personal items such as billfold & whistle & cell phone so they are on me if I'm thrown off & need them.
It is true that my CC has some concerns when we travel out of the area and some cards place limits that you can get changed by a call to them.
The one area that I have learned by exp. to cut back on is clothing. No matter how I travel-bike,car,air, I take less clothes than the past. For MC's the newer type of "active underwear" works great & it doesn't have to be LD brand either. It can be washed out each night & same for T shirts & pants too. I wear easily washable hiking shorts or longer pants under riding pants. Socks take 2 pairs at most & wash as you go. TYhis stuff about throwing away underwear to save space is not needed-simply wash them out at night. Tools is a choice based on what you know how to do & the type of trip. Spare parts are the same idea. I carry oil with me even in the USA based on ease not that it's hard to find. HL bulb same thing.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85

kantuckid screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 07:10 AM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
Put a couple of very large maxi pads in your first aid kit. They are the best for stopping heavy bleeding. No lie...

HeyWhatever screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 08:03 PM
HeyWhatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #20
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
My word of advice would be to do 2-3 day rides prior to the trip with all stuff packed up as if you were going on the main trip. This will help you work out random issues; small things you wish you had, maybe you discover that your packing job is not very stable, or that things are hard to reach, or that you are carrying too much stuff. If you have helmet cam, make sure it's adjusted the way you want it. Basically, try to use your stuff on the road and see what is annoying you. I remember riding for months and months with my electric pump and then one day I wanted to use it at home and that is when I find out it was completely dead.

The most important thing is to have multiple forms of payment because you can always hit up Walmart, but doing this usually sucks. You waste half a day looking for a store that has what you want and then you end up buying the uncomfortable earplugs because that's all they had in stock.... It will do as backup, but it's nice to have your stuff to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
Put a couple of very large maxi pads in your first aide kit. They are the best for stopping heavy bleeding. No lie...
Google Quik-Clot and check out some of the videos. I bought some of these pads on a whim, it seems amazing. I hope I don't ever use them though.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #21
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

I was looking at the Quick Clot at REI. Is the only one they have in a pad form? From what I have read about combat applications, I thought it was a powder. Maybe I am confused?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #22
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
I was looking at the Quick Clot at REI. Is the only one they have in a pad form? From what I have read about combat applications, I thought it was a powder. Maybe I am confused?
Yup this stuff is amazing and I had to use it on a 2 friends so far. 1 He's hit his nose on the top of his ktm windshield. He was bleeding so bad I didn't think it would ever stop. but instantly this stuff did its job. He had to get a ton of stitches. 2nd friend ripped the top of his thumb nail off and it was bleeding like crazy and again this stuff saved the day. You can get it in powder form at walgreens, it comes 4 to a box and there small "crystal light" type packets

P.S.....it stings

My buddies nose
warp9man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Ok... that is disgusting.

Look at this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCIzC...layer_embedded
Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #24
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

#20 is a great idea. I'll ad that a 2-3 day trip will be a starter only. What your doing, i.e., thinking ahead in the first place is great. Danger is too much stuff. Make certain to consider vibration when packing tools. If heavy or sharp edged they can vibrate their way through some tough materials!!! I pack many items like I'm shipping them far away but not in a box.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #25
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,705
After going on several trips and wishing I had one, I now carry a small voltmeter. Electrical problems seem to be in a league with flat tires as common occurrances on a long trip, especially an off-road one.

It is also good to have a wiring diagram for the bike for troubleshooting.

BTW. I too really smashed up my nose on a tall windshield encounter on a rough trip in the Mojave a few years ago. I got rid of the windshield after that trip. My pic looked similar to the one above.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #26
fetching
n00b

Oddometer: 5
what to take on a road trip

UPGRADED roadside assistance coverage....you want "Get me to the nearest dealership" AND "trip interruption reimbursement " coverages.
Many times we assist a rider-on-tour and they have NO INSURANCE/Roadside assist so the total tow bill is on HIM, not his insurance or Roaside assist provider.
Just search "motorcycle roadside assist" and see who pays best for the money. Get the best coverage you can afford and save your cash for more fun expendatures!!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #27
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
After going on several trips and wishing I had one, I now carry a small voltmeter. Electrical problems seem to be in a league with flat tires as common occurrances on a long trip, especially an off-road one.

It is also good to have a wiring diagram for the bike for troubleshooting.

BTW. I too really smashed up my nose on a tall windshield encounter on a rough trip in the Mojave a few years ago. I got rid of the windshield after that trip. My pic looked similar to the one above.
What, no ATGATT?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #28
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Au contraire!

I have had the credit card company deny a payment at a gas station and call my home to verify that the charge was OK. Thankfully, my wife was home to tell them that I was, in fact, traveling cross-country and using the credit card. Yes, this was in the US, and the same has happened to my riding buddies. I now call the credit card companies whenever I take a trip, and I carry more than one CC in case one doesn't work.
I've had it happen to me. when you are stopping for gas every 200 miles it looks fishy to the CC companies. I've had my CC company call me (cell ph on file) as say they saw suspicious charges and wanted to verify it was in fact me using it. I'm THANKFUL they do this.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #29
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
What, no ATGATT?
I was ATGATT'ed pretty well, but I ride with a motocross helmet and goggles. There is about half an inch of space between the face guard and the goggles. That's where I got hit.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #30
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Yuk! Reminds me of yrs ago when my FB helmet had the one plastic bar that was not so effective at protection like the masl like affairs of today.

On the CC thing: we've had our share of problems as they go about protecting themselves from the part they have to cover when fraud occurs. Thats who they are out to protect-at least for the most part. Not appreciated when your gone overseas & no way to pay for food or lodging,huh?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have it down to a one certain person that we cal prior to travel & we don't leave until we have talked to her personally, not even voice mail, ever again. In USA I also have started to pay for my meals in cash to avoid the carry away your card thing as ours has been stolen before & seemed to be when in a restaurant.