ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Datan556 OP
Adventurer
 
Datan556's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 97
KTM520 metal shavings in oil = gearing

Good day everyone

Drained the oil on my KTM520exc recently and found metal shavings in the oil. I opened up the ol girl and had a look. It appears its the gearing behind the clutch plates. The teeth on one of the gears are stripped of, only a few, and there was another gear that just fell out. Not connected at, sat on the top right hand of the casing that I removed. I cant upload any photos cause I'm a boob. (dont know how and no i do not have a smugmug or pocketpic whatever)

Should that gear be loose and topple around in the engine side? dont think so, its my first hand experience with KTM and 4strokes for that matter. Wont be offended if anybody reply and say I'm a twat.

Please help so I can find out if I can just chuck that gear if its not in use
__________________
Suffering is caused by desire, A. Sh.
Datan556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datan556 View Post
Good day everyone

Drained the oil on my KTM520exc recently and found metal shavings in the oil. I opened up the ol girl and had a look. It appears its the gearing behind the clutch plates. The teeth on one of the gears are stripped of, only a few, and there was another gear that just fell out. Not connected at, sat on the top right hand of the casing that I removed. I cant upload any photos cause I'm a boob. (dont know how and no i do not have a smugmug or pocketpic whatever)

Should that gear be loose and topple around in the engine side? dont think so, its my first hand experience with KTM and 4strokes for that matter. Wont be offended if anybody reply and say I'm a twat.

Please help so I can find out if I can just chuck that gear if its not in use
If you are going to the trouble of posting pictures, you'll get much better answers over at ktmtalk in the "racing four strokes" forum (they allow you to post pics there without needing a smugmug account or similar). This is where all the engine builders hang out and there is probably one thread a week about "what are these bits in my oil". good luck!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,672
Is there a groove on the gear shaft for a circlip?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Datan556 OP
Adventurer
 
Datan556's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
If you are going to the trouble of posting pictures, you'll get much better answers over at ktmtalk in the "racing four strokes" forum (they allow you to post pics there without needing a smugmug account or similar). This is where all the engine builders hang out and there is probably one thread a week about "what are these bits in my oil". good luck!
NOTED

Thanks
__________________
Suffering is caused by desire, A. Sh.
Datan556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,423
Gee,I dont think tossing gears out because they came loose is a good idea.
Maybe find a mechanic or workshop manual.All those gears tend to be there for a reason.

Any metal shaving loose in an engine will destroy the rest of the engine at some point in time,unless your really,really lucky.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Datan556 OP
Adventurer
 
Datan556's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 97
does anybody know what this gear is and does? Is it the estart gear?

A buddy said its the idler gear. Im not sure on reading up on internet. click on link to have a look please...

http://t.co/zxONNuruyn
__________________
Suffering is caused by desire, A. Sh.
Datan556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,423
You need a manual,tearing into a high dollar 4 stroke engine and asking what parts are on ADV isnt going to work well.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Escaped
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Escaped's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
You need a manual,tearing into a high dollar 4 stroke engine and asking what parts are on ADV isnt going to work well.
__________________
2006 DR650 51,668 miles

DR650 - Living the Dream!
Escaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
Datan556 OP
Adventurer
 
Datan556's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
You need a manual,tearing into a high dollar 4 stroke engine and asking what parts are on ADV isnt going to work well.
Do have a repair manual, asking for hep to make sure im not twatting the thing any further. Thanks for input
__________________
Suffering is caused by desire, A. Sh.
Datan556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon City
Oddometer: 224
The 520 has some bad history with starter gears. KTMtalk mechanics DJH,Caflash & Kev have the best handle on KTM issues. Look for their posts, and post the pics. RFS hx is pinned at the top for bike problems to check and fix for better service.
__________________
'05 450 EXC
tundradirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Datan556 OP
Adventurer
 
Datan556's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
The 520 has some bad history with starter gears. KTMtalk mechanics DJH,Caflash & Kev have the best handle on KTM issues. Look for their posts, and post the pics. RFS hx is pinned at the top for bike problems to check and fix for better service.
#

cheers, have got a post on KTMtalk, my manual says one part and the parts book says another...nice and confused at the moment.
__________________
Suffering is caused by desire, A. Sh.
Datan556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
Navin
Unwounding
 
Navin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 6,672
A pic would help.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Datan556 OP
Adventurer
 
Datan556's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
A pic would help.


http://t.co/zxONNuruyn
__________________
Suffering is caused by desire, A. Sh.
Datan556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
MKJ
Married w/ Children
 
MKJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Upland, CA
Oddometer: 493
The intermediate gear is the one that has lost teeth. Pull the clutch and you can get to the clip that holds it on. Replace the gear with another. There are other options you can do, but this is the simple, stock fix. The gear that "fell" out fits in the the hole in the case just forward of the intermediate gear. It has a needle bearing on the shaft. The other end of the shaft fits into the hole on the side cover. Try a fit up, you will see what I'm talking about. Easy fix.


Ohhhh...... I forgot.












Your a twat.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,133
Hey Twat;
It's an easy fix........pull the clutch and change the intermediate gear.......order parts from Munn's and all will be well!

Cheers
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014