Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
B.A.D. OP
Young B

Oddometer: 24
Someone talk some sense into me...

Aight Inmates,

I've always had the adventure bike bug, but the more I look at the new Water Cooled GS, the more I want one.

I currently have a Ducati Sport Classic, and it is an awesome bike in some respects...but as far as comfort goes...well..lets just say Pierre Terblanche was a Masochist. I can get really good money (more than I paid for it) for the SC, but will probably never be able to get one again. I just don't know what would be the best route. actually profit from owning a motorcycle (WHAT?!) and use that to buy the GS, or keep what I have because of the nostalgia, and the fact that I actually HAVE ONE.

confused. if i could afford both, I'd do it...but that won't happen for a little while...I just really like the "ride whenever, wherever" attitude that goes with the GS, where I'm limited to about 3 hours on the Sport, and I don't wanna do another minute.

2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000
2009 Genuine Blackjack (Battle Scooter)
B.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
I think you have to really decide what kind of riding you are doing/going to do, and get the bike appropriate for that riding. You could try making the SC more comfortable with risers, like from an ST3?

I'd like to have an SC, but I couldn't do it as an only bike. There will be other SCs available, but of course who knows what the value/price will be. Some are postulating on the impact if a Ducati Scrambler is built.

marret screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 03:56 AM
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Sell the Duc.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Just don't mod the SC too far from stock.
There really is a bit of a cult around those bikes in N.America, the prices people are paying for them should stay stable for another season or two.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #5
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Far be it from ME to try to talk sense into anyone.

I spotted a new KLR a few years ago after being away from bikes for over a decade and thought "that would be cool, and practical when my truck is paid off".

After sitting on a few I'm now looking at Ninja 1000's.

The truck will be paid off next Spring.

Stay tuned.........

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
If you love the Duc keep it. Buy something like a Tiger 800 for half the money of the GS and every bit of adventure capability (more, actually, if you buy the XC). If you decide you're all about adventure biking there will be plenty of water heads available both new and used for many years to come, and you can move from the triumph at that time. Speaking from experience I don't know why you'd want to, but to each their own.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I agree with Bueller. The SC could be one of those bikes that you regret selling, either immediately or down the road. If you can, you might look for a used Triumph or an older GS that you can afford to buy without selling the SC and keep one foot in each camp until you are certain.
2001 BMW R1150GS
flatland964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
If you really want a GS why does it have to be the latest model? Look for a well cared for 1100 (considered by many to be the best quality), an 1150 or early 1200. Or test the waters for even less money with a KLR650 which can be bought for even less but with more extras and is far less expensive (less than 3000 for earlier versions which are still good bikes) when you drop it. And you will drop any model if you really get into adventure riding. By adventure riding I'm assuming you mean actually exploring beyond the asphalt. Keeping the Ducati for another year will cost you very little and buying a cheaper off road capable bike might surprise you by how much more fun it is to not be fretting over $500 here and $1000 there for minor drops. Not a few global explorers have sold their GS and moved up to a KLR.
Another thing to consider with adventure bikes is resale value when the bike has multiple scratches, dents, misaligned plastics, etc. Unless you have a generous insurance policy that will rebuild your bike ground up, or total it when that external perimeter frame is scratched, you will take a HUGE loss. And the insurance company will get their money back, from you and the rest of us. Just another reason to go in cheap.
All of this can be ignored if you just want to ride down a graded gravel road for a couple of miles and then go for a latte. If that is the case go spend your retirement on a BMW or be ignored by the pretty boys.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
I'd echo the other sentiments here: Keep the SC. My brother has a GT1000 which he's basically modded into a SC (minus the SS swingarm), and he was this close to selling it a couple of years ago. He's so glad he didn't now. Loves that bike, and it fills a role that only a not-entirely-practical Italian beauty can. Tiger 800 XC, Yam S10 (and just now saw Slipknot's comment - the KLR is a great way to see if ADV riding is your bag, I'd like to have one myself in the next couple of years).....there are plenty of trailies out there that can fill the need, and more importantly, can show you whether the ADV thing is really for you. I had an 09 GSA - and it was fantastic. Couldn't fault anything about it. I'm sure for street use the WC is even better. But I found the Boxer to be somewhat bland and uninspiring, to be honest. Comfort and practicality are wonderful things - especially if your bike is a commuter or long-haul tool. But if it doesn't ring your bell, you'll miss the bike that already does that now....
Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
sarhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Not a few global explorers have sold their GS and moved up to a KLR.
You forgot the sarcasm smiley.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #11
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
You can never own too many bikes......
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
B.A.D. OP
Young B

Oddometer: 24
yeah, I agree with most of you guys, the SC is like an Italian Supermodel...and I would regret getting rid of her.

guess I'll have to save my pennies! I've seen a few later model GS's for good prices, and I went through a tiger phase...and a KLR phase....and a Supermoto phase.... Maybe this GS thing will pass.

2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000
2009 Genuine Blackjack (Battle Scooter)
B.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Sense? It is the first year of the watercooled GS, there will be problems.

Keep saving and buy one when they are on the third year of production, in the meantime get an older GS, just pick your preferred failure, clutch splines or final drive, you can get one that has been repaired recently and that ought to last you until you save enough for the watercooled boxer or get bored of the whole GS thing.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
ViperJustin
Aerial Gunner

Oddometer: 535
+1 for an 1100 GS.

Reliable, easy to work on, not too much techno-wizardry, and looks good (IMO). And the best part??? A good one can be had for around $5-6k. It's what I'll be looking for in the near future. I want a bike that can be scratched up, dropped, etc and not have to worry about it. I wouldn't want to drop a $20k bike!

Buy used. You can get a majority of your investment back if it isn't for you.
08 MegaMoto #99529
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Some are postulating on the impact if a Ducati Scrambler is built.
Bingo, if Ducati brings back the Sport Classic concept in a new retro bike, how will those SC values look? I'd rather own a motorcycle I'm using then hoping for my motorcycle to retain and increase in value. You'll also have to pay the money to keep it in good condition, so factor that in. I'd gladly trade a few theoretical dollars years down the line for a motorcycle I'd actually enjoy using.

Owning a bike you like makes a big difference in your attitude to riding. I tried a standard for my previous bike, and didn't like it. I'm averaging over 10k miles a year on my current bike and put less then 1k a year on that old standard. I wouldn't trade my riding experiences in the mean time for anything.
single is offline   Reply With Quote