ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
keiji OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 975
What's a good neck wrap for the rain?

See the post.

My Badlands pro does a shit job at keeping water out of the collar in anything worse than a light sprinkle. I need something to go over the top - , preferably with no breathable segment in the back that will soak up the drippings from my helmet!

keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer
 
mrphotoman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: KBR27
Oddometer: 1,028
frog toggs,they have hoods
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
jathkajoe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: E WA
Oddometer: 10
Keep the rain out

My deckhands would often grab an unused oil absorbent pad, cut it in strips and use it for a scarf inside the neck of their rain gear. The ones we had wouldn't absorb water unless they were contaminated with a soap like Dawn.

Worked for us. Was available.

Jathjajoe
jathkajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:53 AM   #4
Dieselboy
Journey not Destination
 
Dieselboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Port of the Gasparilla
Oddometer: 1,122
I have used a normal neck gaiter in the past. Sure it gets wet but keeps the rain off/out of my neck.

One of the reasons I love my Streetguard 3 is the removable neck cover. Best I've ever used. This is my go to gear for cold and wet. Bone dry in multi-day downpours. Pricey to simply solve a wet neck though.

Give a look here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862874
__________________
Dieselboy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Adventure Continues

Dieselboy screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 03:46 AM
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,930
Seriously, considering the gear you own/owned, maybe its time to consider one of the Rukka jackets with the removable collar. I don't find it as comfortable as some, but its designed just for this problem since it sits on the outside of the collar and lays on top of the outer laminate or inner membrane. I can take some pics if you want. The more I look at other brands, the more I realize just how good Rukka is and why it costs what it does. I've never gotten wet in my Armas or my Airoad (AFT with removable goretex). Both of those have the removable collars. I wish I could get a 4 season Rukka, but they just don't make one.
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
Reverse
Armchair Tough
 
Reverse's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 1,259
Another vote for Rukka: love the removable neck wrap on my jacket. Waterproof, elastic, and easily closed through velcro strips.

Rukka is not cheap, but it just works.
__________________
2007 R1200 GS Adventure
Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
keiji OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Seriously, considering the gear you own/owned, maybe its time to consider one of the Rukka jackets with the removable collar. I don't find it as comfortable as some, but its designed just for this problem since it sits on the outside of the collar and lays on top of the outer laminate or inner membrane. I can take some pics if you want. The more I look at other brands, the more I realize just how good Rukka is and why it costs what it does. I've never gotten wet in my Armas or my Airoad (AFT with removable goretex). Both of those have the removable collars. I wish I could get a 4 season Rukka, but they just don't make one.
No offense, but a rukka jacket seems like a 1000 dollar problem for a 50 dollar solution.

I can stay dry no problem by wearing my 30 dollar first gear rain jacket... An order of magnitude higher in price is not in the budget now..
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
snbrd4evr
Adventurer
 
snbrd4evr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Eagan, MN
Oddometer: 57
I've had success cinching the collar tight on my badlands pro. The only place I ever get wet is from my shirt being longer than my jacket and I forget to tuck it in.
snbrd4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 7,829
Frank Thomas Aquapac.. Waterproof oversuit, adds a nice layer of warmth, easy to put on (and take off) over your normal riding gear. IMO it's, or something similar, is a must have for riding.

I've had mine for about 20 years now and have only had to re-treat it once. The only real issue is that if you allow it to bunch in the groin area, water will pool there and will penetrate so every now and then yank yer groin up :)
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
No offense, but a rukka jacket seems like a 1000 dollar problem for a 50 dollar solution.

I can stay dry no problem by wearing my 30 dollar first gear rain jacket... An order of magnitude higher in price is not in the budget now..
None taken. Just seems like you've had bad luck with waterproofing on many jackets. When you're ready for the sure thing, rukka might be the answer. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, just those of an elite club:)
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
CGFS
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 44
Maybe just try a balaclava or neck gaiter. There a many different ones available at revzilla or atomic moto. I ride with a crappy fulmer jacket currently and have had no issues with a balaclava and a jacket with a collar about half as tall as the badlands.
CGFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
keiji OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGFS View Post
Maybe just try a balaclava or neck gaiter. There a many different ones available at revzilla or atomic moto. I ride with a crappy fulmer jacket currently and have had no issues with a balaclava and a jacket with a collar about half as tall as the badlands.

I've got one of these deals
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S.../p/39774_59409

Does not work, inside or out.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
CGFS
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
I've got one of these deals
http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S.../p/39774_59409

Does not work, inside or out.
I know other have good luck with the freeze out products. I bought the balaclava and can't stand it. The material isn't soft against my face at the seams and edges and it's too short to stay tucked in.

Maybe try

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...face-balaclava

or

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-neck-warmer
CGFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #14
keiji OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 975
Going to try out the aerostich wind band

They've been discontinued, but maybe I can make it a fake storm collar.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-wind-band.html
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #15
wingnut11
generally strange
 
wingnut11's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Twin cities mn
Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
Going to try out the aerostich wind band

They've been discontinued, but maybe I can make it a fake storm collar.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-wind-band.html
That thing isn't remotely waterproof. I do like it when it's cold, but it's not keeping anything dry. I've had one for a few years and used it in many kinds of shitty weather. I bought it thinking it might help in the rain, I was wrong about that. It's still good for helping to keep your neck warm, but for me it was not the solution to the same problem. I'm thinking I'll try one of these next.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...-gtx-balaclava
__________________
If you're thinking about it your just trying to justify it to yourself.
wingnut11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014