User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
cbig OP
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 876
Bike camping..Hammock set ups and packing

I've read thru the hammock thread. I own and use a Hennessey explorer, works decent. I may be buying a warbonnet ridgerunner soon. I'm getting interested in bike camping again. Haven't done that in a while since I sold my ktm 950. Carried a lot, but too big a bike for the places I hit.
I want to use my xr600 and try and get my stuff into a Giant Loop bag. Right now I have a hennessy with the super shelter system for insulation and a synthetic bag.

I could use suggestions for bulky items I'd need to carry. Namely:
-Hammock, rain fly and super shelter
-sleeping bag is a peak one synthetic packs to about 12 x 14 inches cylindrical.
-3 quarts of water minimum
-peak one unleaded fueled stove (maybe..might be a shared item)
-possibly some type of pad or mattress especially if in an area with no trees
-some small ground cloth which hcould also be used if I am using the hammock on the ground.

I'd like to see you guys suggestions on how to pack this stuff for a lighter dirt bike, out for a night or two. The xr has a range of 100-160 miles depending on the tank, and any longer trips I use my camper van to get close to the area. I want to possibly stay a while at those beautiful places I pass thru and think "..that's a great place to camp, what scenery.."

Thanks,

Cbig
Old 08-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Zim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
This is my setup:

The blue compression sack contains a Hennessy Expedition (converted to strap and buckle system), complete Super Shelter, and 20 down bag. No assembly/disassembly needed... full deployment takes about a minute.

The original stuff sack shown was for size comparison. Tarp (not shown) is an Asym, stored in Snakeskins and packed separately.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
cbig OP

interesting, how do you carry it on bike?

I'm out west, we have some tuff trails, rocks then dirt roads in between.

I take it for quick deployment the sleep bag is inside the hammock, all you need do is hang it, and put on the pad, space blanket for the super shelter? Didn't think that cheap foam would last compression.

Also, never had a down bag, because of moisture. Been years since I bought my bag. How do you clean the down? What about rain?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Zim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I've carried that setup two ways: inside a large military top-load duffle bag and a Styleworks Tough Tote top box. Either way, the compressed setup is placed inside a trash compactor bag first for waterproofness. This is what the last trip looked like:

The WHOLE setup (minus tarp) goes in the compression sack... hammock, sleeping bag (wish it was a quilt), SuperShelter undercover, SS foam pad, and space blanket. Open sack, pull out strap, place around tree. Walk to other tree unfurling everything from sack, set up other strap, adjust. Tie out side lines, done. Might need some minor adjustment of the SS, but otherwise it's sooo simple.

I have done this 6 or 7 times and have noticed no degradation of the foam pad. I'm not exactly gentle putting it in the sack, but I don't force it in either.

Some, like me, pack the tarp separately so that if it gets wet, you can just tie it to the outside of your gear to dry and/or not get your other gear wet.

The bag is due for a cleaning. Just going to chuck it into a front loader at the laundromat with some Woolite, then into a dryer on low with some tennis balls.

A good place to look is for hammock information is https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php if you haven't already, although the forum can be information overload. There are many different ways that people pack up their hammocks. YMMV.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
CampCowan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
For what it's worth

Grand trunk sells an ultralight hammock for 20 bucks on amazon prime. Similar prices to be had in stores if you shop around. Weighs in at less than a pound which includes my homemade hanging gear. It also stuffs into its own attached sack. I've had mine out four times this year and haven't noticed any wear. This included both backpack trips and loading it into the hard cases on my gl 1000. A pad would have been nice though because these hammocks can be pretty chilly on a cool night.
CampCowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
cbig OP

generally happy with

The Hennessy explorer, tho the wife has taken a liking to it, so I may get a ridgerunner as well. Here's a shot of the set up in Panguitch. .it kept me dry and warm enough in some serious rain.

We have large open spaces out here, a top case won't work, terrain too tough. I need a giant loop or similar..

Want to stay the night in places like this:
Old 08-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Ridgerunner

I HIghly recommend the ridgerunner with an exped downmat. the mat can do double duty as insulation when hanging and a pad if you have to go to ground. with the mat fully inflated i sleep as well as in my bed at home including side and stomach sleeping.

only concern would be the spreader bars if trying to pack in a giant loop..... in which case i would recommend the blackbird
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
cbig OP

how do you pack

The mat?
A blackbird hammock is out. I already have a Hennessey explorer, they seem pretty similar. .

Nice to see a ridge runner owner here.. I think I can rig a way to carry the poles, what fly do you use?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
The mat?
A blackbird hammock is out. I already have a Hennessey explorer, they seem pretty similar. .

Nice to see a ridge runner owner here.. I think I can rig a way to carry the poles, what fly do you use?

Exped downmat 9dlx fits perfect in between the double layers of the ridgerunner . blocks the wind from underneath and really spreads and flattens the hammock out..... best part is when its fully inflated it feels like you're laying on an electric blanket so no need for an underquilt... it's a great mat and worth every penny of the cost. :-)

I'm using a kelty noah 12x12 tarp with Bubo poles for porch mode.

Racerman27410 screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 07:17 PM
Old 08-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
cbig OP

How much is the cost on that

Pad? That tarp looks time consumin fb to set up..

But the ridgerunner is definitely more comfy?
Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Pad? That tarp looks time consumin fb to set up..

But the ridgerunner is definitely more comfy?
the tarp just looks time consuming to setup, it really isn't..... first thing i string up a ridge line.... toss tarp over and stake out..... less than two minutes for the entire operation. It just looks funky in that picture because i have one corner pulled up with the bubo pole. that tarp is the first thing up when i get to camp and the last thing down.... none of my camp ever gets wet except the tarp.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
cbig OP

how do you pack

The poles and such?
Probably will pick up that ridgerunner, worry about tarp choice later.

Also need either nomad or giant loop bags
Old 08-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The poles and such?
Probably will pick up that ridgerunner, worry about tarp choice later.

Also need either nomad or giant loop bags

i picked up the bubo gear poles many years ago.... they are nesting so the entire 72" pole packs inside the largest tube that is 19.5 inches long.... not sure they are available anymore.

Brandon has a really nice tarp made just for the ridegerunner......http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/cloudburst/

general tarp hanging https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuUmNOwBAw

some ridegerunner specific tarp ideas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk16r3eTnN4#t=18

Racerman27410 screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 02:13 PM
Old 08-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #14
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
GREAT QUEST/GOAL!!!

until recently, i used a similar set up on my DR350

i used the NOMAD RIDER "OUT N BACK", TANK BAG & an ORTLIEB DUFFEL to haul my HH SAFARI DELUXE & over night gear

in my kit i have a HH SAFARI DELUXE, X-PED SYNMAT 9, LL BEAN 40 bag, KERMIT chair, 2-nesting fly poles, folding end table, ground cloth, multi purpose hammer/hatchet, SVEN SAW, single burner stove & french press, rain suit, clean underwear, flip flops & toilet articles

add to that, a tool kit(agri tool tube), extra front tube & tyre patches(fender bag), 12v air pump, CO2 inflator, tyre tools, adjustable opposite side side stand, WATER & 1ST AID KIT

wander on over to,

https://hammockforums.net/forum/content.php

and,

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/index.php

to pick up some more good ideas

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR QUEST/TRAVELS
sw
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #15
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409200472.707039.jpg