Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #16
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
The very best thing about modern (Hinckley) Triumphs is their superb engines. They are great bikes and in my expeience of Triumph ownership 33k miles over 4 years I would have no hesitation in reccomending one.
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #17
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Welcome to 1972, my friend.
Yeah, but if those longhairs would stop puffing on the cheeba long enough to do some maintenance, they could ride to Montrose from Downer's Grove without so many breakdowns.

Biggest problem I have is getting my bell bottom pantleg caught in the chain. Ok, maybe I have trouble kicking it after a few pull tabs are on the ground, but it's not my fault the Anals need to be tickled so precisely! Stupid piece of junk!

The Speedmaster is a great bike, dude. I have a hankering for one right now, in fact. I'm trying to resist and hold out for a Honda, but it's oh so difficult. Those bikes are a little odd on the used market and come in at bargain pricing with low miles and farkles. They have a great attitude, and the engine is practically faultless, except that it doesn't make 150hp and 75mpg. But that's advrider for you.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #18
cory89123 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Talking

Thanks for all the replies I appreciate the input. She is definitely getting that bike as her first then. Now to choose between the America and the speedmaster.
cory89123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #19
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 446
Just curious

How old is your dad ?

My 69 Bonny is a pain in the ass but it never made me walk and it's still in the garage.
DRGNHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #20
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
I had a '66 Bonnie, it only left me stranded a couple of times, but there were no cell phones back then. I always carried plenty of tools and the spare parts I knew it would need, and learned how to fix it beside the road. Harleys of that era were the same.

But not now. Newer Triumphs and Harleys are some of the best built bikes in the world. If only BMW had the reliability record of modern Triumphs and Harleys. They are the only mainstream brand I would highly recommend staying away from. I prefer the look of the standard Bonneville to the America or Speedmaster, but mechanically they are all the same.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #21
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Had a 2010 America, really enjoyed it.
It had a bad cam chain tensioner (was told by the dealer that there was a bad batch of tensioners) and waited SIX weeks for the replacement part. It had to come from England. SIX weeks is unacceptable, as was the bullshit that came in the explanation for the delay.
I will never own another Triumph.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory89123 View Post
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate the input. She is definitely getting that bike as her first then. Now to choose between the America and the speedmaster.
Ah, you didn't mention it was a first bike. I'd recommend getting something cheaper, smaller, and used for a first bike. Something better suited for learning on, then moving up to the bigger bike in a year or so.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #23
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,463
Triumph continually raises their market share worldwide,they have no relaitionship to old Triumphs except the name.
Triumph has gained 25% market share while most japanese makers were holding tight and doing nothing trying not to go broke.

I ride a 99 1200 Trophy around,its a blast!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #24
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,152
20,000 miles on a Bonneville in the past two years... only tires and oil...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #25
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Ah, you didn't mention it was a first bike. I'd recommend getting something cheaper, smaller, and used for a first bike. Something better suited for learning on, then moving up to the bigger bike in a year or so.

PhilB
Yah,many bikes bought "for the wife" end up sitting dusty and unused,best to some how make sure they want it to ride and not just a whimsy thing. A speedmaster is a heavy bike,like most all the Triumph twins they are kind of a styling excersize.
I had an 07 Scrambler,got sucked in by the vintage look,too slow,too heavy,poor brakes,poor suspension,no ground clearance,didnt hold much gas,didnt get good mileage,it was an "image" bike I figured out after a while.
It did look neat sitting outside a burger joint though.

Many are infatuated with them, and they would be ok for a starter or extra bike.
Probably run a long time,built well enough,sound neat with pipes.
38 HP on a dyno didnt seem right for a near 900cc bike that weighs over 500 lbs.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory89123 View Post

Get whichever you can get the best deal on. There aint spit difference between the two.

I rode my Speedmaster to Michigan from Alabama with the missus on the back. Had a great time with zero problems.

By the way. budget for a seat. It sucks. Something other than a Corbin, because it sucks almost as much.

Yankee Dog screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 12:07 PM
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #27
cory89123 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Yah,many bikes bought "for the wife" end up sitting dusty and unused,best to some how make sure they want it to ride and not just a whimsy thing. A speedmaster is a heavy bike,like most all the Triumph twins they are kind of a styling excersize.
I had an 07 Scrambler,got sucked in by the vintage look,too slow,too heavy,poor brakes,poor suspension,no ground clearance,didnt hold much gas,didnt get good mileage,it was an "image" bike I figured out after a while.
It did look neat sitting outside a burger joint though.

Many are infatuated with them, and they would be ok for a starter or extra bike.
Probably run a long time,built well enough,sound neat with pipes.
38 HP on a dyno didnt seem right for a near 900cc bike that weighs over 500 lbs.

It will be her first owned bike.
She has been riding mine and we have rented Harley's from the local eagle rider several times she has probably close to 1k miles on a bike so far so i don't see her letting it sit.
so far she has ridden : my 08 FZ6, Honda Shadow RS, Harley Iron 883, Suzuki S40, tested a Speed master. so I don't think it is a passing fad or that the bike will get away from her.
cory89123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
DJGypsy
Ewok Taxidermist

Oddometer: 436
30,000 miles in two years (nearly to the day!) on my bonneville mag wheel. burns no oil, goes all day, never gives me any problems. change the oil every 6k miles, check valves every 12k miles, and i ride it every day.
DJGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I love the look of the Speedmaster but couldn't get past the forward controls. Mid-control bikes like the Bonnie/T100/Scrambler would probably be more comfortable especially on long rides.

I've put a couple of 500+ mile days on my Scrambler and it's done well. My only comfort issue was a crick in my neck that I think was caused by having to crane my neck upwards because of the high seat and the low bars. I resolved the issue by putting a lower seat (stock Bonnie seat vs. the Scrambler's thicker seat) and raising the handlebars with a pair of 1" spacers.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #30
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Don't confuse the historic triumph brand with the current Hinkleys. The only connection between them is that Mr Bloor bought the rights to use the name.The current Bonneville twins are as reliable as any other Asian assembled bikes.(Enfield excluded)
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote