User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Speed King OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
AEV Jeep, Exterra or Trail Edition FJ Cruiser....

Let's say $$$ not the bottom line. Which unit for recreational off roading (not rock crawling) with interstate/highway travel in the Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico area. 500 mile trips or so. 2014 model. Anything else I should be thinking about? Toyota 4 Runner? Whaddya think?

AEV Jeep would be the JK250 package on a Rubicon Unlimited.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jk-wrangler

Although cost is not the bottom line, I'm not looking in the 90k price range.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King View Post
Let's say $$$ not the bottom line. Which unit for recreational off roading (not rock crawling) with interstate/highway travel in the Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico area. 500 mile trips or so. 2014 model. Anything else I should be thinking about? Toyota 4 Runner? Whaddya think?

AEV Jeep would be the JK250 package on a Rubicon Unlimited.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jk-wrangler

Although cost is not the bottom line, I'm not looking in the 90k price range.
How many people and dogs?

I'd be more interested in a 4runner than your choices, just to derail your thread from the start

I'm partial to Toyota, but not crazy about the FJ Cruisers (the doors and the blind spots...arggh!)
Old 12-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Speed King OP
Beastly Adventurer

2 people, no dogs. I indicated 4 Runner as an option in the post.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,419
Element AWD with TDI
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
According to their website, the JK250 package is a bit over $10k, plus the cost of the vehicle -- maybe $34-$40k depending on options, so about $45-$50k total?

So you are kind of comparing apples to oranges, a heavily modified Jeep against stock Xterra/FJC/etc. If you wanted to toss $10k at an Xterra or FJ, you'd probably end up fairly comparable to the modified Jeep, but I don't know if there is anyone marketing turnkey packages for those other models.

My budget is smaller than that, but I bought the Xterra Pro4X over the Jeep or FJ. Like KungPaoDog says, the blind spots in the FJ were enough to drop it from consideration for me. The Jeep has worse reliability but better resale and better aftermarket support (including AEV), so that's kind of a wash. I went back and forth but finally tilted Xterra because we do long road trips that end in rough but not extreme 4wd use; if I was planning on more extreme offroad driving I'd have bought the Jeep and accepted slightly worse highway manners.

I didn't look at the 4Runner or anything else that didn't offer a manual transmission, but if you don't mind the auto they are nice trucks.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,949
I bought a 13 Xterra last summer, Pro4X, and although I haven't done any gnarly wheelin, I think it's going to be pretty respectable. I've owned several Jeeps, from an 84 CJ that I restored (and just sold) to the 05 Rubicon that I drive now when I'm not on the moto. The Xterra is a delight on the road, I've driven it to NC and back to Florida twice now, once pulling a trailer with 2 bikes, and it makes the trip so easy. I wouldn't care to drive the TJ that far, maybe the JKs are different. It's me and Ms PMR and a Golden and a Lab. Plenty of room if Ms PMR doesn't pack too much crap.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #7
Speed King OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinfish View Post
According to their website, the JK250 package is a bit over $10k, plus the cost of the vehicle -- maybe $34-$40k depending on options, so about $45-$50k total?

So you are kind of comparing apples to oranges, a heavily modified Jeep against stock Xterra/FJC/etc. If you wanted to toss $10k at an Xterra or FJ, you'd probably end up fairly comparable to the modified Jeep, but I don't know if there is anyone marketing turnkey packages for those other models.

My budget is smaller than that, but I bought the Xterra Pro4X over the Jeep or FJ. Like KungPaoDog says, the blind spots in the FJ were enough to drop it from consideration for me. The Jeep has worse reliability but better resale and better aftermarket support (including AEV), so that's kind of a wash. I went back and forth but finally tilted Xterra because we do long road trips that end in rough but not extreme 4wd use; if I was planning on more extreme offroad driving I'd have bought the Jeep and accepted slightly worse highway manners.

I didn't look at the 4Runner or anything else that didn't offer a manual transmission, but if you don't mind the auto they are nice trucks.
Yeah, that's the whole thing. The AEV is turnkey ready to go. I have even looked for packages for the others but everything would have to be added one thing at a time. The removable top on the Jeep is a big attraction too. Also, whatever I get will be an addition to the stable, not our only vehicle. Correct on the 45-50k.

Speed King screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 03:16 PM
Old 12-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Speed King OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 12-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,087
iMHO you probably aren't going to put a highway compatible and offroad capable (i.e. truly Rubicon trail-ready) rig on the road that will be superior to the AEV built Rubi for less than the combined costs of a new Rubicon and the AEV kit.

In terms of reliability, Toyota is not the manufacturer it used to be and Jeeps aren't that unreliable - again, just my opinion.

Actually, a stock Rubi could likely handle some serious offroad challenges - add a mild lift, slightly bigger tires and maybe a winch and you'd be approaching the offroad prowess of the AEV kit...but the AEV option might actually be a better value.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Speed King OP
Beastly Adventurer

Saw a couple of these at the dealer. Seemed really huge.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Speed King OP
Beastly Adventurer

Old 12-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,553
A dead stock Rubicon will do.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Speed King OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
A dead stock Rubicon will do.
Oh man, I know you are right. But to me that's like saying a stock 1200GS will do, or a stock 3 series BMW will do etc. I've never had anything stock in my life. When I buy old bikes I rarely get nice originals because I know I can't leave them be. The really nice originals I've bought I just flipped before I was tempted. Everything else gets my signature.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,446
The Brute double cab gives me a stiffy.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
Speed King OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
The Brute double cab gives me a stiffy.
Oh Dude- I hear ya. But those things are 90 grand. They stretch the frame & put a hemi in. But trust me if I had real dough I would be so on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdVB0utpl0s

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: