User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
theraymondguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
RK Chain goes above and beyond

I'm not affiliated with RK Excel in any way. I wanted to share this all too rare experience.

I wanted to rework the final drive ratio on my newish to me '87 CBX250H. I ran the numbers here http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/GearsIIIbeta.htm

I found that a -1 countershaft sprocket will put me right where I want to be.

6th gear is stupid tall, a 0.785:1 overdrive. I figured I'd run the existing chain to try the ratio as the original OEM drive chain on my '87 CBX250H is actually in really good shape.

I wanted to remove the chain to give it a thorough clean and lube, started looking around for a master link through the usual sources and none were to be found. I contacted RK Excel, they offered to send one to me, free of charge!!!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm damned impressed - you don't see that kind of thing anymore.

Once I've got my ratio locked down (I'd rather not run a 12T countershaft), I'll spring for a new chain and sprocket set, you can probably guess who the manufacturer of that new chain will be.
theraymondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,942
If your rear sprocket is about 39T, adding 3T would equal minus 1T on the front.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
theraymondguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
If your rear sprocket is about 39T, adding 3T would equal minus 1T on the front.
12/35 mod ratio = 2.916

I want to run a 14 Tooth countershaft (should add a good bit of life to the chain vs. a 12).

2.916 * 14 = 40.824 or 41T

Thankfully the WeeBX was built almost entirely out of Honda's cast off bin - while the aftermarket has VERY little support for a 1 year Canada Only bike (A couple of years in the UK first, then Australia, the leftovers got shipped here), there's lots of parts that can be used if you're willing to research (and research some more) cross references.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:50 AM   #4
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,584
Got a pic of the bike?

Is this the one? 1986 Honda CBX250, Australian model. My first bike, and my first adventure bike Loved that bike.

The Stable
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
theraymondguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Canuck model has the chin spoiler deleted and awkward looking turn signals to satisfy our ministry of transport.

Less than 10000 Km on the dial, it's a peach. A frozen peach these days, too darn cold to wrench let alone ride.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,628
Nice to know!

I've been running RK on two bikes over the past few years, so when it was time to rechain my latest acquisition, I went to RK as well. Good chains.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:50 AM   #7
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraymondguy View Post
The Canuck model has the chin spoiler deleted and awkward looking turn signals to satisfy our ministry of transport.

Less than 10000 Km on the dial, it's a peach. A frozen peach these days, too darn cold to wrench let alone ride.
Nice.

I bought mine in 1991 with 39,000km on the clock, and it was a bit neglected. I think the acquaintance I bought it from was not terribly mechanically inclined. One brake piston had seized up with crud, so the braking was awful, and it destroyed the disc; thankfully I managed to source a good used one, but it took some searching. The rear brake drum (hub) eventually flogged out, I think in the end I found a good used wheel, otherwise the option was to bore out the drum and fit a liner. It ran like a top with only routine servicing and the usual consumables. It was great that the user handbook and tool kit under the seat enabled you to check the valves.

I sold it 18 months later with another 40,000km on it and I reckon it was running better then than when I first got it. It did lots of long trips, including a 1000km return trip every second weekend for the summer. At trade-in time most dealers were horrified at the high kays on it, despite it looking near-new and obviously running well.

c.2000 I sat on one again, and it felt awful! I'd been riding big bikes for too long then. Now would be a different story, as I've had a few small dual-purpose/trail bikes again. Another very similar bike is the Yamaha SRX250. I was actually looking for one of those when the CBX was offered to me.
The Stable
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:37 AM   #8
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
, I went to RK as well. Good chains.
I agree. I used a 520XSO RK chain to run heaps of passes for years at the drags.
8900 breaking strain.