User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Talking GSXR 600/750/1000 Touring: Technical & Moral Support

I just got a 2013 GSXR 750 and am in the process of making modifications to do some long distance and adventure tour riding .

My first mods/changes/additions on order include:
1. Apex Clipon Risers
2. Vario Pegs
3. Oxford Heated Grips
4. Powerlet electrical outlet for heated gear
5. Wolfman tail and tank bags

I have not installed any hardware yet, as I don't have a service manual and need torque specs before I start removing parts:)

Does anyone know where I can purchase or download a Service Manual for my bike (a 2012 GSXR 600 or 750 manual would probably work)?

Any GXSR folks out there, please feel free to chime in with your experience, advise and feedback.

alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 998
Consider doing a naked conversion. It will allow much more flexibility in adding a larger fairing and taller risers.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I hope you are kidding. I cannot possibly fathom why someone would purposely subject themselves to that kind of pain. They would be loading me into an ambulance after maybe 50 miles. Since I have never attempted such a thing, and have no idea if there is anyway to help relieve the misery, I'll just wish you good luck and a safe ride
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Niles
Riding >> Typing

Oddometer: 29
When Jerry H disagrees with you, you're probably doing something fun!
Good luck
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
If you consider doing one long pushup for days "fun" A GSXR750 is probably the most hardcore sport bike sold in the U.S. today. A real genuine factory roadracer with lights. And your going to tour on it? The bars are the same height as the seat, or where the seat is supposed to be. Other than best of luck, no comments.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,285
Thumb

Welcome!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
Consider doing a naked conversion. It will allow much more flexibility in adding a larger fairing and taller risers.
Thanks, WAP. Well, it has about as much fairing as I am comfortable with now, but I do realize some modification might have to be done with regards to the risers. As soon as those arrive, I will take photos of the install post up the results

If it turns out I need more fairing I will keep that conversion in mind
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If you consider doing one long pushup for days "fun" A GSXR750 is probably the most hardcore sport bike sold in the U.S. today. A real genuine factory roadracer with lights. And your going to tour on it? The bars are the same height as the seat, or where the seat is supposed to be. Other than best of luck, no comments.
I have to say, your presence has become tiresome. I even somewhat agree that touring a Gixxer is not my idea of fun--but seriously, is it necessary to chime in to every thread with your pro-cruiser dogma?

Check out Anti-hero's RR--guy had a hell of a long distance ride on a 1199 PINAGALE...stock. You are obsessed with POS cruisers, we get that. Not everybody has the same idea of adventure.

No back to the lady with the Gixxer
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'm glad you brought this up, because now I get to tell my little story about how/why I came to be on this particular bike.

My previous bike was a Hypermotard. I rode just over 32,000 miles in 3 years on it.
Loved that bike. I turned it into a mini-multistrada:).

Then, I slipped and fell a year ago while hiking on vacation, and developed a nasty lower back spasm. After a year of many different procedures, I am now feeling much better (80% improvement, to date:)). However, riding in an upright position for anything more than about an hour, has become very uncomfortable for me.

So, a couple of months ago I started the process of sitting on every bike I could, with the goal of figuring out what felt good for my back, and the result, as odd as it seems, was the gsxr 750. Well, the 1000 felt even more comfortable, but, the 1000cc's on that bike are seriously different than the 1100 cc's on the hyper, so, I compromised with the 750:).

The ergonomics of the gsxr allows me to lean on the tank and get the pressure off my tail bone, which is a huge relief.

So, the gsxr is for medical reasons, and I'm looking at the "push ups" factor as an opportunity to buff up my jello-y arms and thighs.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

^^ thank you, kind sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredulous View Post
I have to say, your presence has become tiresome. I even somewhat agree that touring a Gixxer is not my idea of fun--but seriously, is it necessary to chime in to every thread with your pro-cruiser dogma?

Check out Anti-hero's RR--guy had a hell of a long distance ride on a 1199 PINAGALE...stock. You are obsessed with POS cruisers, we get that. Not everybody has the same idea of adventure.

No back to the lady with the Gixxer
Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Plenty of people put big miles on the supersport bikes. Plus, if the OP is smaller in stature it makes it even less of a problem. Additionally, since they are produced in high numbers with plenty of data for improvement supersport bikes tend to be seriously reliable. And out of the box you are getting great suspension and brakes. While maybe not quite such aggro ergos search youtube for the guy with over 200k miles on his F4i.

Ride what you like. Hope the OP enjoys racking up the miles.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles View Post
When Jerry H disagrees with you, you're probably doing something fun!
Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

Welcome!
Thanks, guys! This is the ADVENTURE forum, after all, isn't it?
I'm totally excited that I found a bike to work with.

Here is my previous girl, who will be missed:

Now, upward and onward with the new.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Plenty of people put big miles on the supersport bikes. Plus, if the OP is smaller in stature it makes it even less of a problem. Additionally, since they are produced in high numbers with plenty of data for improvement supersport bikes tend to be seriously reliable. And out of the box you are getting great suspension and brakes. While maybe not quite such aggro ergos search youtube for the guy with over 200k miles on his F4i.

Ride what you like. Hope the OP enjoys racking up the miles.
^ this. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to 14,000 mile valve adjustments instead of the 6,000 that I had on the hyper:), and to having a bike that most motorcycle mechanics can work on, as opposed to a select few.

Adventure.... To be continued...
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
I had an 08 600, I am on the smaller side, 5ft8 150, so long days on the Gix was no problem. All i had for it was a set of soft side saddlebags from Ogio and the matching tank bag, with a backpack with a bladder for Hot Texas days. Mine was completly stock, throw some Michelin PR3s and hit the road!!

Good luck to you.

Chris
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
you'll be very happy once you get everything sorted...6000mi between oil changes no problemo (use diesel truck engine oil)...maybe a HID conversion for better nighttime visibility.

just get out there and ride it....try pirelli diablo stradas or angel ST for tires if you want double the tire life while keeping the seriously focused grip and steering response that you love.

service manuals available on ebay.

because that tail isn't really meant for luggage, you may want to get 54" ROK straps to really cinch everything down tight since you'll be riding faster on a firmer suspension that tends to jiggle things loose.

if you're already going to use heated gloves...no sense fiddling with heated grips. KISS.

didn't see anything about crashproofing, but check out vortex or woodcraft-cf motorsports for frame sliders, billet case covers and levers....they can mean the difference between towing the bike and riding it home should you have a get-off. they WILL keep your plastics from getting rashed.

DavidBanner screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 10:34 AM
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote