Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #196
sodapop
Caffeinated

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
What vibes? You aren't even into the cam at 85 in 6th gear, you are still in first if you are actually spinning it.
Good to know, thanks.

Gone: 2006 Suzuki SV650S, 2002 KTM 125SX, 1994 Yamaha YZF750R, 1992 Honda CBR600R, 1991 Suzuki GSXR750R, 1989 Yamaha FZR600R, 1983 Honda CR80R, 1982 Honda XR80R, 1979 Yamaha GT80
sodapop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #197
Z0RR0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Are we still pointing out sportbikes make good tourers?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725369
Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #198
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
No, they make for lousy tourers just like a rock makes for a lousy hammer.

I don't own a sport tourer, have no plans for one, but I can't deny they are better at touring

I've done rides on my sportbikes that others wouldn't dream about unless it was on a sport tourer... But no, the best tool for the job they aint.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #199
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Unfortunately the SV1000 is a short range only bike for me. I have tried just about every seat under the sun including the Airhawk and it kills my ass after 150 miles.

But my girlfriend says that's her favorite bike to ride so it stays :)

By way of contrast, I put a 400 mile day on a stock 02 Yamaha R6 (a friends) and felt fantastic. That is a bike that is not known for its comfort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
I felt same about the SV seat but once I went with a handle bar setup it totally changed for me. By sitting up a bit more the pressure went from front biased to more rear ass(cheeks)biased and than I could ride it all day even on the stock seat.

This was the setup and very comfy.
To me the SV1KS is a very comfy bike as long as it doesn't involve low speed riding, like for example, traffic jams or very slow traffic in the city.

BUT, my biggest "problem" with it is fuel range. 120 miles if you're not pushing it, but, if things get silly you'll be lucky to get 90 miles out of a tank.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #200
rodclement
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hello Everyone,

I am new here, seems proper for me to post on a thread I have experience on...

My daily commuter is a 2011 GSXR 750cc. I am 5'11 and weigh 220lbs, with no mods on the bike, I was good on her for about 350 miles or so before feeling some back and leg discomfort, I suffer from carpal tunnel so my hands would get a bit numb, and I needed to to the "sport bike arm shake" from time to time, but no biggie.

I have since added mods to the bike that make it a much more commuter/long distance rider.

Apex 3 inch clip-on risers
Vortex adjustabe foot pegs
Bubble fairing
Saddleman gel seat
Phone and ez pass holders
12 volt USB adapter
Kuryiakin cruiser grips (these require throttle body work)
...and I had the suspension professionaly adjusted by a qualified professional, not some hack at the dealer, to my size and weight.

Now my bike is extremely comfortable for me, I can ride her all day with no stress. I am sure if someone else sits on her, they may not like the postion, but she fits me like a glove!

Out of all the changes, adjusting the suspension has to be the number one thing in anyone's list, every other change should be, in my oppinion, considered after that.

I also just purchased a 2013 Tiger XC 800, and will be using it from now on as my commuter, and travel bike, the only reason is that I am removing lights, etc. from the gixxer, and am going to use her for trackdays only from now on, so no more daily riding on her...but lots of fun trackdays in her future!

Rod
rodclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #201
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Following this thread now, 'cuz a 2007 Gixxer 1000 followed me home one day.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #202
dtrides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Cool2

Ok folks, only right I chime back in (even if I haven't read the whole Thread)..
I am the recipient of my wife's three week old hand me down (OP) and here is your update:
So far I have made the simple mods which many have already listed.
#1: Saddleman track seat. Love this thing!
#2: Zero gravity DB shield. Looks great but didn't make a huge difference.
#3: Speedy moto clip on risers. Good bit of kit in a easy to use package.
never could get the Apex to fit to my satisfaction even though many have used these. (now for sale )
#4: Wolfman tail bag , another good piece of kit. This stays on the bike for all my misc daily needs.
#5: Cortech saddle bags are a great fit and swallow up everything for week of traveling (I don't sleep on the ground anymore so no camping gear)
#6: carbon-like tank protector. If you use a tank bag you may want to add clear tape designed to protect the paint.This paint is soft!
#7: -1 tooth on counter sprocket to make slow, super tight roads easier to navigate.
#8: 12 v oulet for electric vest
#9: adjust suspension to taste (started with Dave Moss settings and then softened up comp from there).
I abandoned the original plans to drop the pegs with plates I designed because every thing fits me with the pegs in their lowest setting.
Result? one good Twisty tourer! Would I pick this bike to spend the day on the interstate? No! But the reality is it is MORE comfortable than my 1050 Tiger on moderately bumpy roads, way better on smooth twisty roads, just don't plan on doing much freeway droning..
I now have a little over 4k miles and one four day trip under her belt.
DT
dtrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #203
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
I felt same about the SV seat but once I went with a handle bar setup it totally changed for me. By sitting up a bit more the pressure went from front biased to more rear ass(cheeks)biased and than I could ride it all day even on the stock seat.

This was the setup and very comfy.

Word. And for track days, it's easy to put the clip-ons back on.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #204
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 162
After arriving home from my first major road trip on the Daytona (4500+ miles), I can speak with confidence that the bike makes a capable tool IF you can take the riding position. I averaged just over 50MPG with a fully loaded Daytona 675R and aside from a stator malfunction leaving me stranded, the bike was dead reliable and performed beautifully.

I can't say the same thing for my body however. 500+ miles, day after day took its toll on my legs, knees, my butt, and wrists. I could support myself with my core for the first 250 miles, after that, it was a measurement of what hurt less: my butt, my knees, and my wrists. My will vs my ability to complete the journey became a chess game. Unfortunately, because of the stator issue, I had to cut the trip short.

My conclusion is that you can certainly tour on anything, but you must be up to the task. If not, "the right tool for the job" and whatnot. I won't be doing this sort of trip again on the Daytona, but a 600+ mile day or two isn't out of the question. I may yet attempt an IB ride on the Daytona for kicks.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS

Existence_Inc screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 03:07 PM Reason: Edited for Clarity
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote