Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
you'll be very happy once you get everything sorted...6000mi between oil changes no problemo (use diesel truck engine oil)...maybe a HID conversion for better nighttime visibility.

just get out there and ride it....try pirelli diablo stradas or angel ST for tires if you want double the tire life while keeping the seriously focused grip and steering response that you love.

service manuals available on ebay.

because that tail isn't really meant for luggage, you may want to get 54" ROK straps to really cinch everything down tight since you'll be riding faster on a firmer suspension that tends to jiggle things loose.

if you're already going to use heated gloves...no sense fiddling with heated grips. KISS.

the 6K oil change was on my other bike, not this one, now it's 14K

not using heated gloves, using heated liner.

have not been able to find a 2013 or 2012 GSXR 650 service manual on ebay .... they are like unicorns
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
I had an 08 600, I am on the smaller side, 5ft8 150, so long days on the Gix was no problem. All i had for it was a set of soft side saddlebags from Ogio and the matching tank bag, with a backpack with a bladder for Hot Texas days. Mine was completly stock, throw some Michelin PR3s and hit the road!!

Good luck to you.

Chris
I'm 5'7" and one hundred and mumble-mumble pounds

This weekend we are going to do highway 36 (without my clipon risers yet ). Still breaking her in, only have 125 miles on the odometer at of today!

Thanks for the well wishes.

I thought there might be someone out there on a GSXR, but, I guess I'm a trailblazer (and/or psycho).
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #18
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles View Post
When Jerry H disagrees with you, you're probably doing something fun!
Good luck
Jerry H is pretty full of him self isn't he?

FWIW, I toured on my RZ 350 and my CBR 954. (up to 800 mile days)I was in fairly good shape then, maybe that's why I did not get any muscle cramps. Sargent seat on the CBR.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohagirl View Post
the 6K oil change was on my other bike, not this one, now it's 14K

not using heated gloves, using heated liner.

have not been able to find a 2013 or 2012 GSXR 650 service manual on ebay .... they are like unicorns
oil 6000

valve adjustments...eh...12-18,000mi...or "whenever"

plenty of gixxer people on here.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBanner View Post
oil 6000

valve adjustments...eh...12-18,000mi...or "whenever"

plenty of gixxer people on here.
Oh, doh, yes (I'm not paying attention! The new ease of bike care and service is so confusing )
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #21
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Jerry H is pretty full of him self isn't he?

FWIW, I toured on my RZ 350 and my CBR 954. (up to 800 mile days)I was in fairly good shape then, maybe that's why I did not get any muscle cramps. Sargent seat on the CBR.
I didn't mind Jerry H's comments, he is entitled to his opinion. Plus, he gave me the opening to explain my crazy-ass self about why/how I came to purchase such an unlikely bike for my own comfort .

I also appreciated all the chivalry!

So far, the stock seat is fine (125 miles so far, ain't much of a sample, so stay tuned:), but I noticed Saddlemen has some verry nice seats for the gsxr.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
there has been at least one other Gixxer thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605853

welcome to the nut house
BTW - I sold mine with 68,000 miles on the clock
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersteph View Post
there has been at least one other Gixxer thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605853

welcome to the nut house
BTW - I sold mine with 68,000 miles on the clock
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Gsxr?

Quote:

I might be off base here, but isn't the 650 a GSX 650 F? not an R? The 2012 or 2013 manuals would be for Europe or Asia if it's an F.....They dropped it from USA in 2010, I believe, but still a good seller in the rest of the world.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I might be off base here, but isn't the 650 a GSX 650 F? not an R? The 2012 or 2013 manuals would be for Europe or Asia if it's an F.....They dropped it from USA in 2010, I believe, but still a good seller in the rest of the world.
My bad , I meant GSXR 600..... good catch. The GSXR 600 and 750 apparently share a lot of components.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #26
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If you consider doing one long pushup for days "fun" A GSXR750 is probably the most hardcore sport bike sold in the U.S. today. A real genuine factory roadracer with lights. And your going to tour on it? The bars are the same height as the seat, or where the seat is supposed to be. Other than best of luck, no comments.
I was your age when I rode a stock GSXR1000 915 miles in one day. All I got was shoulder ache for a few days. I routinely ride 400 mile days with no problem on my present GSXR1000. It's all a question of being in reasonable physical shape.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #27
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
I'm glad you brought this up, because now I get to tell my little story about how/why I came to be on this particular bike.

My previous bike was a Hypermotard. I rode just over 32,000 miles in 3 years on it.
Loved that bike. I turned it into a mini-multistrada:).

Then, I slipped and fell a year ago while hiking on vacation, and developed a nasty lower back spasm. After a year of many different procedures, I am now feeling much better (80% improvement, to date:)). However, riding in an upright position for anything more than about an hour, has become very uncomfortable for me.

So, a couple of months ago I started the process of sitting on every bike I could, with the goal of figuring out what felt good for my back, and the result, as odd as it seems, was the gsxr 750. Well, the 1000 felt even more comfortable, but, the 1000cc's on that bike are seriously different than the 1100 cc's on the hyper, so, I compromised with the 750:).

The ergonomics of the gsxr allows me to lean on the tank and get the pressure off my tail bone, which is a huge relief.

So, the gsxr is for medical reasons, and I'm looking at the "push ups" factor as an opportunity to buff up my jello-y arms and thighs.
I don't have a great back and like you find leaning over puts less stress on it than riding in an upright position. The Apex risers are a good idea. I have Helibars and rearset plates on on my GSXR1000 and found it made a big difference in comfort. Also I have a small tankbag which makes it easy to rest my left elbow on it and make the straights somewhat less boring. I've had Corbins on two bikes I have owned and they are a very comfortable seat. Have considered one for the gixxer.

I can honestly say that I don't feel any more tired after a 400 or so mile day on my GSXR1000 than I do on my VFR750. You'll have a great time on your bike.

ECN-ROL screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 11:29 PM
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #28
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
It's all a question of being in reasonable physical shape.
This can't be stressed enough. Strong core muscles will increase your mileage on a sport bike more than any farkle.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #29
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
I was your age when I rode a stock GSXR1000 915 miles in one day. All I got was shoulder ache for a few days. I routinely ride 400 mile days with no problem on my present GSXR1000. It's all a question of being in reasonable physical shape.
Excellent.
You were 52 when you rode 915 miles on the GSXR1000?:)
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
This can't be stressed enough. Strong core muscles will increase your mileage on a sport bike more than any farkle.
Ugh, core work, noooooooo. Well....okay