Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #31
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,686
I put about 50,000 miles on a 1993 Honda CBR900RR. Rode it all over the western U.S., all over west Texas, and up and down the Appalachians several times. The only "comfort" modifications were Heli-bars and a Corbin seat. Sold it when I was 52 years old, and only because I wanted a newer bike. Still wish I had that CBR now - don't let anyone tell you that a sport bike can't be used for touring.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #32
Spud99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Try packing your tank bag with a towel on the inside top so you can lay on it on the straight roads. This saves your arms and neck for the twisty bits. It also is a comfortable way to duck under the wind screen.
Flip down your passenger pegs to hook your boot heels on for a different position as well.
Spud99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #33
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Well, I'm no suzuki owner, but I hope putting my Yamaha bike and plans on here.

Here is my plan, which might have to be postponed from this August to next August, do to the fact we started a new business and want it to be on solid ground before I take a month to do this. Actually might plan an east coast 10 day trip to test out the bike as well.

Anyways, the trip consist of towing the bike to my cousins house in Alamogordo NM and taking off for a 5k mile trip.

Weapon to be used is my 2005 Yamaha R1 Raven edition.

I (me and a friend) welded up some custom mounts for my Givi hard bags I bought used.
Got a used Corbin seat from R1forum, helped me get about 50 miles more than usual.
Bought a set of new Buel footpegs from a ________ (forgot the model number), they lower the footpeg about an inch.

Also got a set on Converty Bars to raise my handle bars a couple of inches.

The trick to raising the handle bars more than the usual 1-1/2 inches is to build custom spacers for the mirror bolts.
What I am going to use is a custom 1.75 inch spacer to go between the upper fairing stay (where the mirrors bolt to) and the fairing. So in other words the fairing will be slightly bent upwards.
Kind of like this.

There are other mods coming along, like running lights, stop lights and blinkers built into the Givi bags.

There is a lot more, but I'll let you chime in before I thread Jack too much! LOL
My Apologies and I'll start a thread of my own soon.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #34
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
You, dear sir, are an inspiration. Awesome. Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Well, I'm no suzuki owner, but I hope putting my Yamaha bike and plans on here.

Here is my plan, which might have to be postponed from this August to next August, do to the fact we started a new business and want it to be on solid ground before I take a month to do this. Actually might plan an east coast 10 day trip to test out the bike as well.

Anyways, the trip consist of towing the bike to my cousins house in Alamogordo NM and taking off for a 5k mile trip.

Weapon to be used is my 2005 Yamaha R1 Raven edition.

I (me and a friend) welded up some custom mounts for my Givi hard bags I bought used.
Got a used Corbin seat from R1forum, helped me get about 50 miles more than usual.
Bought a set of new Buel footpegs from a ________ (forgot the model number), they lower the footpeg about an inch.

Also got a set on Converty Bars to raise my handle bars a couple of inches.

The trick to raising the handle bars more than the usual 1-1/2 inches is to build custom spacers for the mirror bolts.
What I am going to use is a custom 1.75 inch spacer to go between the upper fairing stay (where the mirrors bolt to) and the fairing. So in other words the fairing will be slightly bent upwards.
Kind of like this.

There are other mods coming along, like running lights, stop lights and blinkers built into the Givi bags.

There is a lot more, but I'll let you chime in before I thread Jack too much! LOL
Thanks
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #35
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud99 View Post
Try packing your tank bag with a towel on the inside top so you can lay on it on the straight roads. This saves your arms and neck for the twisty bits. It also is a comfortable way to duck under the wind screen.
Flip down your passenger pegs to hook your boot heels on for a different position as well.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #36
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,388
an apology to alohagirl

I realize I owe you an apology after finding out why you are using a hardcore sportbike for touring. As you can tell from some of the other comments, most everybody on here believes the only real street bikes are sportbikes, and hate cruisers. I had to give up riding such bikes because of the extreme pain they were causing me, and I only rode them short trips, I couldn't tour on them 30 years ago at age 24. I also tour on cruisers for medical/health related reasons. I have severe arthritis/fibromyalgia, and cannot support my body weight with my arms and legs for very long (It has reached the point where a mile is about as far as I can walk anymore without serious pain) I also cannot bend my neck back as far as it will go. I even sometimes have trouble getting my leg over the seat of anything but a cruiser or scooter (I ride both) So I have to have a bike that does not put any stress on my arms and legs, where my neck is straight, and where almost all of my weight goes on the seat. Other than an all out touring bike (I just sold my Goldwing because it was so big and heavy I felt uncomfortable on it in parking lots) or a cruiser, which is what I currently ride. I have been riding cruisers since 1980, when I discovered just how comfortable they were for me.

So it would never have occurred to me in a million years that someone would ride a hardcore sport bike FOR comfort. Anyway, I sincerely apologize for thinking you were just another macho type sport bike rider out to prove how tough they are (I know about a zillion of those)
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #37
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I realize I owe you an apology after finding out why you are using a hardcore sportbike for touring. As you can tell from some of the other comments, most everybody on here believes the only real street bikes are sportbikes, and hate cruisers. I had to give up riding such bikes because of the extreme pain they were causing me, and I only rode them short trips, I couldn't tour on them 30 years ago at age 24. I also tour on cruisers for medical/health related reasons. I have severe arthritis/fibromyalgia, and cannot support my body weight with my arms and legs for very long (It has reached the point where a mile is about as far as I can walk anymore without serious pain) I also cannot bend my neck back as far as it will go. I even sometimes have trouble getting my leg over the seat of anything but a cruiser or scooter (I ride both) So I have to have a bike that does not put any stress on my arms and legs, where my neck is straight, and where almost all of my weight goes on the seat. Other than an all out touring bike (I just sold my Goldwing because it was so big and heavy I felt uncomfortable on it in parking lots) or a cruiser, which is what I currently ride. I have been riding cruisers since 1980, when I discovered just how comfortable they were for me.

So it would never have occurred to me in a million years that someone would ride a hardcore sport bike FOR comfort. Anyway, I sincerely apologize for thinking you were just another macho type sport bike rider out to prove how tough they are (I know about a zillion of those)
Wow. That was very kind of you, JH. Apology accepted
Yes, the last year has been difficult, being in chronic pain and not being able to ride, so, I'm right there with ya. I have had 3 epidural spinal injections, physical therapy every week, chiropractic, acupuncture, and a handful of different pain meds. But now I'm pain med free . In my darkest times, I thought maybe I was going to have to give up riding, so, now I'm just happy to be riding something-anything!:).
The crazy thing is I have never liked sportbikes, and I'm sort of embarrassed to be riding one. The popular sportbike culture (trackdays, stunters, squids, etc.) doesn't reflect who I am as a person, so it's weird to have one in the garage. But, since my back feels relief when I'm on it, I decided to put my own prejudices aside, and just go with the flow (it's an experiment, really:).

On that note, I wish everyone a Happy Spring forward day
Old 03-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #38
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Twistedthrotlle has alot of touring stuff for all bikes. I whould have looked at the bags-connection blaze saddlebags.http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-r-750-1000-11
I use my ZX14 for touring, and like all sportsbike the saddle is on the hard side. You could buy a bicycle shorts with gelpads on the butt or a air-hawk pillow.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #39
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
I put about 50,000 miles on a 1993 Honda CBR900RR. Rode it all over the western U.S., all over west Texas, and up and down the Appalachians several times. The only "comfort" modifications were Heli-bars and a Corbin seat. Sold it when I was 52 years old, and only because I wanted a newer bike. Still wish I had that CBR now - don't let anyone tell you that a sport bike can't be used for touring.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #40
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
Twistedthrotlle has alot of touring stuff for all bikes. I whould have looked at the bags-connection blaze saddlebags.http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-r-750-1000-11
I use my ZX14 for touring, and like all sportsbike the saddle is on the hard side. You could buy a bicycle shorts with gelpads on the butt or a air-hawk pillow.
Excellent tip. Thanks!:)
Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #41
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohagirl View Post
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
I am really studying and testing. I have never taking a long trip on my bike. 300 mile days, yes, but over night touring, no.
A little info about me, 40 years old, riding sport bikes for almost 21 years, 6'2, 240, so it isn't the best fit, but I LOVE my bike and can't let go of her. I did consider a VFR 800, but coudn't bring myself to selling mine. I also have a KLR 650 I plan to ride to Alaska from my house in Tampa, Fl.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #42
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post

Thanks
On those foot pegs, after the install, how did your foot line up with the brake pedal and the shift lever?

Just ran into a snag with the Vario pegs. They stick out too far in relationship to the brake pedal and shift lever

So, am now researching rearsets... Driven looks like they have the most adjustability downward, but I'm not sure yet (I need to make some calls and do more research:). I'd like 1/2-1 down.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #43
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Well you have bought the finest sport bike out there

You may try and ask one of the smaller US companies like Attack or Apex (excellent choice of adjustable clip-ons) to build you a custom set of rear-sets that have a few lower positions for the foot pegs.

Other choice is to find a machine shop tha will fabricate you a custom foot pag hanger/plate to your nead and use all your other stock parts. This would be cheaper (pending on machine shop)...I have done this myself before.

Also theres a real neat way of making a platform/bag hangers that clip in to the passenger seat spot on the bike(need to use a passenger seat platform for support). I'll try and dig out a pic for better explanation.

I've toured on sport bikes for years and love it. My lower back has never liked anything that made me slouch even one little bit.

Enjoy...love that 36...It's been a few years, but soooon
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #44
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Heres an example just to give you an idea of the seat rack.

http://www.omniads.co.uk/cars-vans-m...e-rack-111417/

In my opinion this is not a very appealing product but I've seen some very nice ones custom made and inexpensive. At some point, time permitting this year, I plan on building one for my SV1000. I really like this idea because the weight is centralized and does not interfere so much with aggressive canyon riding. I also have the Apex 3" rise adjustible clipons...love them.
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #45
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Well you have bought the finest sport bike out there

You may try and ask one of the smaller US companies like Attack or Apex (excellent choice of adjustable clip-ons) to build you a custom set of rear-sets that have a few lower positions for the foot pegs.

Other choice is to find a machine shop tha will fabricate you a custom foot pag hanger/plate to your nead and use all your other stock parts. This would be cheaper (pending on machine shop)...I have done this myself before.

Also theres a real neat way of making a platform/bag hangers that clip in to the passenger seat spot on the bike(need to use a passenger seat platform for support). I'll try and dig out a pic for better explanation.

I've toured on sport bikes for years and love it. My lower back has never liked anything that made me slouch even one little bit.

Enjoy...love that 36...It's been a few years, but soooon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
Heres an example just to give you an idea of the seat rack.

http://www.omniads.co.uk/cars-vans-m...e-rack-111417/

In my opinion this is not a very appealing product but I've seen some very nice ones custom made and inexpensive. At some point, time permitting this year, I plan on building one for my SV1000. I really like this idea because the weight is centralized and does not interfere so much with aggressive canyon riding. I also have the Apex 3" rise adjustible clipons...love them.
Thanks! Just got back from a ride out Highway 36 here she from today "in the wild" at the top of South Fork Mountain: