User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #76
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
adventure on YOUR bike.

I really get sick of the narrow mindedness on here sometimes. My pal Ray has Wee strom, and I have gone everywhere he has on either a 05 cbr600rr, or Gsxr 750. Was it amazingly comfortable? No. Did I get there and back? Yes. And had a blast on the great roads we traveled to.
We rode to the campsite near Elkins W.Virginia in 2009, we rode 15 miles of dirt roads on the way home, we rode 30-40 miles of cinder roads in Canada, and I am still in one piece.
I would love to own a nice adventure bike as well, for comfort, something to pile on loads of crap, but it is NOT necessary.
Going camping? You need a tent and sleeping bag, all else is unnecessary bullshit-the chairs, inflatable mattress, laptop, gps, cell phone, I have none of it and have had "adventures"
And for the record, the Gsxr 750 is a great bike, and feels like a couch with more power after the 05-06 cbr600rr, which was a bit of a torture device, but still fun as hell. Many sportbikes are much more uncomfortable.
Aloha girl, have fun on whatever bike you got!
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #77
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
Thers no problem to travle with a GSXR even thoug som old grumpy men cannt understand it.
Just remember to move around and somtimes just stand up while riding so you get your blood moving around. Of course you need more breaks then a goldwing driver need.
Even if i have a more touring bike then you, i try to avoid highways, i get much more mentaly and physical tierd on highways then i get on backroads.
I'm with you, highways suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
I haven't put them on yet.
I'm waiting to do the mods once I get my KLR back from the shop.
I'll let you know once I do it.
standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax View Post
I've got an 03 Gixxer 1000 with Apex clip-ons. Couldn't be happier with them. Although the amount of rise is fairly limited with the stock cables.
Yes, we tried to mount the Apex clip-on risers yesterday and discovered I ordered the wrong posts... I ordered 4" rise instead of 3".

So, I called Apex Manufacturing, and "Ted" the owner/designer/aluminum billet guru answered the phone; he was AT DAYTONA at the races!!
What a great guy. He said to send the 4" back and he would send me the 3".

I can't believe he answered the phone and was so cool, handling a minor customer service issue, whilst working in the AMA pits....

I am now a huge Apex fan, y'all, go order some Apex stuff, Ted rocks.
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #78
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOE200 View Post
So glad to see this thread. I own a K7 GSXR600

I'm embarking on a similar mission...just with baby steps.

So far I have only done a 4day (3000 kilometre) trip

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743848

In a couple of weeks I am riding from Sydney to Cairns (approx 6000kms) for a bit of a longer ride.

My bike is unmodified for comfort. It is actually the bike I used s mytrack bike so has better pads, braided lines and some other bits. I am not changing anything for comfort at this stage, just going to put my standard pipe back on, as the aftermarket is too loud to listen to for days on end.

Ive been fascinated by the Raven R1 luggage setup for a while now and really want to look into hard side cases for mine but for now am going to use a tank bag and just ordered this

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Kriega/Kriega.htm

My intent is to tour internationally next year for 1-2 years. So would love to see what kind of mods you do as I may be able to consider some too ! I really have no idea about touring....I just like riding and seeing new places :)
4 days is a good representative sample; I'm thinking if can do 4, you can do 40 easy (I'm not a statistician, but, I play one on the ADVforum ).

Ooooo, I like that Kriega luggage.... so many good luggage choices out there . Has anyone seen my credit card? Oh, I think my husband stuck it in the middle of a pickle jar (with juice) and put it in the freezer.... please hold while I defrost.....
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #79
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
For medical reasons eh??? I like your style!!!

There is a guy who went around the world on his R1 and he is my role model I just will do it on the other spectrum of the cc's

YOu GOOO!!!

Damasovi
Thanks What's going on down in Ensenada?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #80
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
I bought some rearset plates off ebay. The stock rearsets just bolt onto the plates (which are bolted to the stock rearset position) so the brake and gearshift angle does not change. They were designed to be 1" back and 1" up. I just turned them upside down and drilled some extra holes to vary the positions. Paid about $40.
Excellent tip!! We are going to look into this.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #81
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post

You seriously have no clue. If anything, the GSX-R 600 and 750 are the most comfortable of the current race replicas. Want uncomfortable race replicas? Try the Daytona 675 and the R6.

At least you didn't vomit the usual "it has no soul/character".
I don't know if you saw it, but JerryH apologized. It's all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I realize I owe you an apology after finding out why you are using a hardcore sportbike for touring. As you can tell from some of the other comments, most everybody on here believes the only real street bikes are sportbikes, and hate cruisers. I had to give up riding such bikes because of the extreme pain they were causing me, and I only rode them short trips, I couldn't tour on them 30 years ago at age 24. I also tour on cruisers for medical/health related reasons. I have severe arthritis/fibromyalgia, and cannot support my body weight with my arms and legs for very long (It has reached the point where a mile is about as far as I can walk anymore without serious pain) I also cannot bend my neck back as far as it will go. I even sometimes have trouble getting my leg over the seat of anything but a cruiser or scooter (I ride both) So I have to have a bike that does not put any stress on my arms and legs, where my neck is straight, and where almost all of my weight goes on the seat. Other than an all out touring bike (I just sold my Goldwing because it was so big and heavy I felt uncomfortable on it in parking lots) or a cruiser, which is what I currently ride. I have been riding cruisers since 1980, when I discovered just how comfortable they were for me.

So it would never have occurred to me in a million years that someone would ride a hardcore sport bike FOR comfort. Anyway, I sincerely apologize for thinking you were just another macho type sport bike rider out to prove how tough they are (I know about a zillion of those)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #82
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
Thanks for posting up this thread. I like seeing this type of idea as it goes along with the rest of this site, giving this site so much variety. I don't post a lot, as I mainly use this site for the endless ideas it provides in possible destinations.

I wanted to share even though I don't have a Suzuki. I currently ride a 2006 Honda CBR. It has seen commuting, trackdays, and is now what I use for traveling. I too find the position comfortable. In my case it's due to a recurring lower back problem, though nothing as serious as it sounds like you went through. I have soft luggage as saddlebags that are supported by brackets I made. I have a tailbag and tankbag for longer distance. I have heated grips for those chilly days and a seat cover for butt comfort. I rode from West TN to Daytona over last weekend. Wasn't too much discomfort. I still have the stock bar and rearset position, though I am considering changing this slightly. The main thing I enjoy is the large tankbag as I lay against it and take almost all pressure off my arms. Little things like that can help a lot in the comfort area. Overall, these types of motorcycles can be fun if setup properly for distance. I am starting a trip in 2-3 weeks, leaving here and heading west for 6-8 weeks. I hope to post up and share my trip along the way.

Good luck in your modifications and future travels.
Cool. I look forward to your ride report. Let me know if you get to Humboldt County and I will come out and ride with ya!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #83
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_ View Post
I've got a K6 600, and while I don't do a lot of touring I do occasionally do a trip up to the north of England to visit a mate, and did a 21hr trip once (for charity ).

Some of the best things I did to make the bike better for travel;
Fitted a Puig Double Bubble Screen (easily best money spent), Renthal Soft Compound Grips and use Kriega Luggage (US10 & US20 tailpacks + metal hook fasteners).

I've also made up lengths of garden hose packed with lead shot and taped up, which are stuffed into the clip-ons to kill the vibes through the bars. I use a ram mount in the fork stem with a waterproof bag (the name escapes me at the moment) which holds my phone (Galaxy S2) and a backup battery so its good for 8hrs using the GPS bluetoothed to my lid.

I'm on my second set of Michelin Pilot Road 2CTs, and they've been a great sport/touring tyre. I got about 8.5-9k out of the last rear and while a lot of that is commuting, I do have at least one 'spirited' ride on the weekends on mountain roads to stop them squaring off too quickly. They're fantastic in the wet as well, which we get plenty of. I'll probably try the Pilot Road 3s next.

I'm 5'10 and the bike is great for me, worst thing is the tank range (about 100miles).
Garden hose and lead shot, I totally have to do this to make my bike a proper ADVrider steed.

Why such short tank range? I'm getting about 200.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #84
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxersteph View Post
Oh I want to add some fuel to this fire

Tom-Nor. Why did you abandon cruisers if they are so wonderful?

To each their own, here is my take.

Cruisers do not handle or maneuver as well as sport bikes. I am pretty comfortable in making that BOLD statement. They are also uncomfortable for ME to ride. Furthermore, for real world riding, sport bikes aren't as easy to maneuver as standards.

I loved my GSXR 1000 but the seating position was murder on my wrists. I put on tubular bars and as far as I am concerned it was the best handling bike I ever owned. Not as comfortable or as flickable as my SuperDuke, but overall better.

That's my vote, Mr ZX14 rider.
I admire your fire fueling.

So, SuperDuke more comfortable than GSXR 1000.... interesting.....
Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #85
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohagirl View Post
I admire your fire fueling.

So, SuperDuke more comfortable than GSXR 1000.... interesting.....
I have more leg room on the SuperDuke, thus my knees are more comfortable. Trust me I do miss the GSXR for a lot of reasons - the insurance costs however I do not miss.
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #86
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
I usually tell folks, "It's only uncomfortable when you're not accelerating, braking, and/or turning."

Cheers Alohagirl
Old 03-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #87
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
I usually tell folks, "It's only uncomfortable when you're not accelerating, braking, and/or turning."

Cheers Alohagirl
That is SO true! Exactly. Kinda like it only hurts when I laugh
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #88
7days1shower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I have two weeks to decide on which one of these 2 to tackle on my GSXR in a space of 10 days...

7days1shower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #89
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have two weeks to decide on which one of these 2 to tackle on my GSXR in a space of 10 days...

Hmmmm...... which one beckons?

Which one has more curves and less traffic? That's the one
Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #90
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
Remember: Just because you think you are right, doesn't make me wrong.
Is that an original quote, if so, may I borrow it from time to time?

Quote:
These are from the state of NSW in Australia. I am from Sydney :)

Also I think the arguements of cruiser vs sports needs to be cut back.

I think this thread has great potential for tips and ideas to be shared on how we can tour on our SUPERSPORTS

Have any of you guys looked into sump/header protection like the adventure bikes have?? We really don't have much in the way of ground clearance :/

+one on the cruiser debate.