Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #91
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Never been to Australia, but the ocean side ride looks interesting from the map view.
Which one has the most turns and elevation changes?
How far is each one?
Which has the most gas stations to fit your MPG on the bike?
What will the temps be like on each one?
Most important, how long until you have 14 more days to do the other route? LOL

Why not wait until you have 3 weeks and make a giant loop!
Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #92
CoffeeBaron
Italian Stallions

Oddometer: 45
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohagirl View Post
Is that an original quote, if so, may I borrow it from time to time?

+one on the cruiser debate.
+two here- I'm so glad to see this topic raised on ADV- not least because although any bike ridden is a good bike, the ADV site is low on these kind of adventures.

I'm like Ghost, an inmate of the UK, and i've been using sports tourers (2 VFR's over the last 3 years-rc36/46) as my only transport (I don't drive, never learnt). I've been choosing these kinds of bikes as I've always had to look at it from a 2 up perspective as my mrs rides everywhere with me (work at the same place)- and thanks to a combination of bad backs due to office work, she thought to try the bus for a bit, and I was going to downsize.

Cut a long waffle short, I got an 07' cbr600rr- and it's amazingly comfy for me- i've a long body, and short arms and legs- i'm 6'0 and fairly stocky *242lbs in American weight. And amazingly my mrs also finds it comfier than either VFR! She's able to lean on me and take all pressure off her back and arms.

I'm aiming to do some trips up to scotland and around this year, and I commute a 50 mile round trip every day of the year. The only thing holding people back from trying these types of motorbikes as daily rides is ignorance and mass media views. I've got some throw over soft luggage, a large Osprey rucksack (great backpacks!) and a puig double bubble-best add on you can get!

Please keep this thread going- we should post some pics of them done for touring and daily ride duties-and share settings for the suspension etc.
CoffeeBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #93
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBaron View Post
+two here- I'm so glad to see this topic raised on ADV- not least because although any bike ridden is a good bike, the ADV site is low on these kind of adventures.

I'm like Ghost, an inmate of the UK, and i've been using sports tourers (2 VFR's over the last 3 years-rc36/46) as my only transport (I don't drive, never learnt). I've been choosing these kinds of bikes as I've always had to look at it from a 2 up perspective as my mrs rides everywhere with me (work at the same place)- and thanks to a combination of bad backs due to office work, she thought to try the bus for a bit, and I was going to downsize.

Cut a long waffle short, I got an 07' cbr600rr- and it's amazingly comfy for me- i've a long body, and short arms and legs- i'm 6'0 and fairly stocky *242lbs in American weight. And amazingly my mrs also finds it comfier than either VFR! She's able to lean on me and take all pressure off her back and arms.

I'm aiming to do some trips up to scotland and around this year, and I commute a 50 mile round trip every day of the year. The only thing holding people back from trying these types of motorbikes as daily rides is ignorance and mass media views. I've got some throw over soft luggage, a large Osprey rucksack (great backpacks!) and a puig double bubble-best add on you can get!

Please keep this thread going- we should post some pics of them done for touring and daily ride duties-and share settings for the suspension etc.
"Cut a long waffle short..."

Have any pics of your bike? Have you lowered your pegs or raised your bars at all, or are you hardcore stocking it ?
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #94
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:

"Just because you think you are right, doesn't make me wrong."

Is that an original quote, if so, may I borrow it from time to time?

+one on the cruiser debate.

Feel free to use my quote. I first used it on a friend I was having a discussion with. His answer when I said it was "Yes it does."
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #95
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Garden hose and lead shot, I totally have to do this to make my bike a proper ADVrider steed.

Why such short tank range? I'm getting about 200.
i was gonna say the same thing...might be time to break out the ol' calculator and do some figgering.

1. read your owner's manual to find out what your tank capacity is (say, 4.8gal).

2. zero your trip odo when you top off the tank (000mi)

3. fill up as soon as the light comes on, note the number of gallons it takes and the number of miles (3.8 gallons? 160miles?)

4. do some figgering...if the light comes on at 160 and the bike has only burned 3.8 gallons, that's 40+ mpg and you've still got another gallon in there...which means another 40ish miles after the light.

Keep in mind that 0.2-0.5gal may not be useable...so don't go pushing your luck for 0.0gal remaining.

depending on where in the powerband you keep the bike, and what stupid things you've done to the bike (power commanders, sprockets, pipes, etc) you should be able to see 40-45mpg on a 750 without babying it. you really shouldn't be seeing 30s unless you've modded the thing or are riding like a d-bag.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:16 AM   #96
CoffeeBaron
Italian Stallions

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
"Cut a long waffle short..."

Have any pics of your bike? Have you lowered your pegs or raised your bars at all, or are you hardcore stocking it ?
Haha...that was the short version

I'll post some pics up by the weekend- need a good weather day to take some :)

The bike is stock save for the screen- i'm just lucky with my physique I guess- but I guess I should have figured it would be right for me, used to ride an RVF400 and an RS125 both of which I found comfortable.

More so than the VFR's

@ Alohagirl: How's the mileage racking going? You done many more trips on her?
CoffeeBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #97
7days1shower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Never been to Australia, but the ocean side ride looks interesting from the map view.
Which one has the most turns and elevation changes?
How far is each one?
Which has the most gas stations to fit your MPG on the bike?
What will the temps be like on each one?
Most important, how long until you have 14 more days to do the other route? LOL

Why not wait until you have 3 weeks and make a giant loop!
Good points to consider Rico.

I think I am going to stick to Eastern Aus. instead of wandering into the desert. I will make it a loop by heading up through inland and ocming back down the coast.

It is logical to do it when I have more time I know....but when I have more time I usually go overseas and Brazil beckons !

I will post up my route once I map it out :)
7days1shower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #98
alohagirl OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBaron View Post

@ Alohagirl: How's the mileage racking going? You done many more trips on her?
I'm not as far along as I would like, I should have broken her in by now, but as of this morning I'm at 477... Hoping to ramp it up pronto
alohagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #99
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Any GXSR folks out there, please feel free to chime in with your experience, advise and feedback.

Not a GSXR Rider, but I do ride a supersport and I do a good bit of adventuring and road tripping. For over-nighters (500-1000 mile trips), I only use a tank bag for the essentials. For 2-4 day trips, I have a Kriega backpack and an RKA tail pack. For longer trips 5+ days, I plan on picking up a Kriega US40 (20 + 10 + 10) tail pack. I will be doing a trip from New Mexico to Maine this summer if I can make the time.

The only modifications I have made for "touring" are tyres, throttle lock, and luggage hooks. I replaced the stock tyres with Michelin PR3s and I love the way they handle wet and dry roads. 4000 miles on them and they still look new. I also added Sato Racing hooks (designed to be used as a tie down for bike transport) as a mounting point for larger bits of luggage. They work a treat. I highly recommend a Radiator Guard if you do any dirt road riding. I use a COX Racingroup radiator guard and it is easy to take off to clean the radiator.

Just because it wasn't the main design for a bike doesn't mean it doesn't work just fine.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #100
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence_Inc View Post
Not a GSXR Rider, but I do ride a supersport and I do a good bit of adventuring and road tripping. For over-nighters (500-1000 mile trips), I only use a tank bag for the essentials. For 2-4 day trips, I have a Kriega backpack and an RKA tail pack. For longer trips 5+ days, I plan on picking up a Kriega US40 (20 + 10 + 10) tail pack. I will be doing a trip from New Mexico to Maine this summer if I can make the time.

The only modifications I have made for "touring" are tyres, throttle lock, and luggage hooks. I replaced the stock tyres with Michelin PR3s and I love the way they handle wet and dry roads. 4000 miles on them and they still look new. I also added Sato Racing hooks (designed to be used as a tie down for bike transport) as a mounting point for larger bits of luggage. They work a treat. I highly recommend a Radiator Guard if you do any dirt road riding. I use a COX Racingroup radiator guard and it is easy to take off to clean the radiator.

Just because it wasn't the main design for a bike doesn't mean it doesn't work just fine.

~Ex
What type of throttle lock.
I was looking at a couple of electric cruise control units, but at $200 plus, I changed my mind.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #101
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
[QUOTE=

you should be able to see 40-45mpg on a 750 without babying it. you really shouldn't be seeing 30s unless you've modded the thing or are riding like a d-bag.[/QUOTE]

I had a problem with my GSXR1000 one time and had to short shift through one tank of gas. I got 60 mpg (imperial). Surprised the hell out of me! So it can be done.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #102
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
What type of throttle lock.
I was looking at a couple of electric cruise control units, but at $200 plus, I changed my mind.

I have been using a Go Cruise Throttle Assist. Works well enough to give my right hand a much needed rest. I considered electric cruise control and even a Kaoko Throttle Lock (my father uses one on his DL1000 and LOVES it), but something simple, light, cheap, and removable was ideal for me. The Go Cruise fit the bill nicely. It holds a reasonably steady speed, fits in a pocket, and it doesn't add weight/complexity to the bike. I figured, for $15, it was worth a shot.

NOTE: It DOES take some getting used to, as it sits on the inside of the hand grip.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #103
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence_Inc View Post

~Ex

My wood for the 675 is obnoxious.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #104
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
My wood for the 675 is obnoxious.
I have lots of great pics too, but I won't derail the thread.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #105
7days1shower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Keen to see some pics of the throttle lock and the luggage hooks
7days1shower is offline   Reply With Quote