Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #121
BalancePoint
Mucker

Oddometer: 217
I owned a number of pretty fast bikes, including a K1200R that I nearly got killed on, and now I have a Honda ST1300 and a carb'd Scrambler.

So I have two overweight, underpowered bikes, love 'em both.

For me, the pure visceral thrill and enjoyment of riding comes on the Scrambler at speeds under 70. It's great in town, it's great on country roads. I have more fun on that bike than any mc I've ever owned or ridden. It will not do what the big Honda will do, it was not engineered to do it, and I don't ask it or myself to do it. I truly enjoy the ST1300, not only on trips, but even around town. But at the aforementioned speeds it doesn't scratch the spot that Scrambler does. If I had to sell one, it'd be the Scram, but I'd sure as hell be counting the months until I could get another one.
BalancePoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #122
yinfiss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I traded a Concours 14 for a T 100 and missed the Kawi for about two days. As many have mentioned it is a magnet to older guys but the bike IS sexy and fun and easy and has all that you really need in a bike.

I have gotten a "hey nice bike" from a panhandler at a stop light, a "beautiful bike" from a high school girl and "nice bike" from a college guy. Plus many more compliments than my 5 earlier bike combined.
yinfiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #123
Av8rPaul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinfiss View Post
I traded a Concours 14 for a T 100 and missed the Kawi for about two days. As many have mentioned it is a magnet to older guys but the bike IS sexy and fun and easy and has all that you really need in a bike.

I have gotten a "hey nice bike" from a panhandler at a stop light, a "beautiful bike" from a high school girl and "nice bike" from a college guy. Plus many more compliments than my 5 earlier bike combined.
That's good to hear. I was looking hard at the big 14, but just really had this huge desire to just have a simpler bike. I guess I'm not the only one!
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #124
Av8rPaul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here she is

IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #125
Av8rPaul OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I guess in conclusion of my original question, it is completely possible that moving from the "fast" bike column to a Triumph twin is satisfying. Test riding the Bonneville T100 was even more enjoyable than I could have imagined and the Scrambler is going to be a blast on the twisties that pepper the mountains that divide Nevada and California, as well as adventuring up and down the countless fire roads and logging roads between here and Canada. I'm solidly in the Triumph camp and look forward to riding it and sharing the tales.

Thanks to all!
IBA #33
Old 08-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #126
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rPaul View Post
Here she is

Finally!

yes!!! she is pretty! now go ride!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #127
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
I had a t100 I bought new in '03, and crashed a few months later (1200 miles or so from home). Loved that bike! After Harleys, a BMW, a few Honda 750's, a few quasi-sport bikes, etc. It was nice to have just a motorcycle (kind of like having one of the old Honda 750s except it handled corners far better!).

I bought several bikes after that Bonnie. A gs500 which was fun but too small to be comfy on long rides, a Triumph Thunderbird which was close to the Bonnie, but not quite there, an Intruder because I wanted to try a Japanese cruiser for a while to see how I'd like it (hated it!), a v-strom 1000 which I was going to lose my liscense with as it was totally boring at legal speeds (but it was nice to explore a few fire roads) and a KLR, which I love and will never get rid of!

Well, the day before yesterday I came home with a leftover 2012 Bonneville. A gold one with the mag wheels. I remember what I loved about that first one! Granted I've only been able to put about 50 miles on it with work and all, but the damn thing just gives me a stupid grin! To think I was going to get a Harley dyna for touring. The Harleys are good bikes, don't get me wrong, but for sheer fun at quasi-legal speeds you just can't beat a Bonnie. They handle good enough to have fun in the canyons and mountains at a reasonably quick pace, have just enough balls to be comfy on the freeway, and with a good seat, a windscreen and a bag strapped to the back (and maybe some saddlebags if you are so inclined) they make great little touring machines!

Anyone who says they NEED more power or better handling on public roads is probably going to lose their license one day (or worse).

I've been riding 40 years and, though I admit these aren't much like the original Bonnies, I've never enjoyed a bike quite as much as the Bonnie, and it will do most of what I want a bike to do. And heck, for the fire roads, etc., I still have the KLR with the milk crate to haul all my stuff!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote