User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
hapbob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I was told...so I did Harley

Brought home today. Bone Stock... 2009... 6K miles I rode it home bought it 5 miles from my house...been looking far and wide for a Niced Used Harley and found it by pure luck down the road! And we have never met before..
Lots of input from this site...Looking for any more inputs on what I need to do now!
What Seat? I like the drivers backrest. Option?
Handle bars seem a tad low...anyone have input on that?
Does this have a Cat? If so Do I need to remove it?

I know go ride it...but look at the snow!

Hap

Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Congrats on the new bike, you don't need to do anything unless you want to. I have the adjustable riders backrest from HD and I like it a lot, I would not buy the non-adjustable I adjust mine often while riding down the road. If the bike is not pinging I wouldn't worry to much about a cat or not, my 09 didn't really ping, but my 103 did often so I did a stage one (air filter, mufflers, fuel management. The stock bars I'm pretty sure can be adjusted a little in the clamps.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,460
I've got a 2011 Road King. You are really going to enjoy riding that bike. I've got the same passenger back rest. My wife is very comfortable riding on the back. I would install a luggage rack (detachable) on the back and hit the road.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,362
Congrats!

I'm tall and fat. So far, for comfort, I have put on Heritage bars from the dealer (they are higher and farther back), an adjustable seat back, and extensions to widen the floorboards.

The bike now fits me like it was custom-made for me. I still need highway pegs, but I'm not sure if I need adjustable ones or not.

Have fun getting yours set up the way you need it. Take your time and enjoy the ride!
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,783
Get some miles on it before you decide what to do with it. It may serve you well just as it is. The frame upgrade in 09 really did Harley Touring bikes justice. In the limited saddle time I have had on them, I was impressed! Congrats.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,624
nice bike - congratulations!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Seat: How far and long are you going to ride? If you are going to log serious miles, go ahead and pay for a Russel Daylong saddle now. You'll likely end up there anyway, and you'll not waste money on other seats.

If you don't ride that far or long, maybe the stock seat will work for you.

BTW, the most comfortable seat Harley makes is the Police saddle, often found on eBay for low price. Do you research to make sure you get all the needed parts. Mustang makes a matching passenger seat

Bars: Heritage Bars are a great start. Might be all you need.

Little known option is the HD street slammer cover for risers and for Road Kings. #55854-07 This allows you to raise and pull-back any handlebar you choose. Personally I use a 4" pull back riser and Heritage bars, and find the comfort wonderful. All my cables fit, but won't promise that your's will too.

Cat: Unlikely you have a cat. In 09 only the California models had one.

Other: Get some lowers, the cloth ones work fine. In the chill or the rainy mess you'll like them.

Watch for bad front wheel bearing. The 09's had a problem with that. Not a big deal, but if you hear any odd noises from there check it out.

Great motorcycle, and it will be a joy for you.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
hapbob OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Hey

Hey Eric can you explain more about what adjustable is? On drivers backrest?
I am unsure what I'm looking for?
I really think the barks are to low..I noticed right away and I've never changed bars on any other Bike ever!

I have at least a few weeks before riding weather so have it a bit torn apart for cleaning and want to get a few things adjusted and added now for something to do.
Thanks for the congrats and I want your inputs if you are familiar with this bike
Hap
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
oldogge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hap,
Nice bike. I have a black and chrome 2001 Road King and have enjoyed a number of multiweek trips on it. It came with a detachable luggage rack and I added small bags which attach onto the chrome bar in front of each
side bag. They provide convenient storage for tools, raingear, misc smaller items you might want to get to quickley. I also added a bag behind the windshield and a magnetic tankbag. There are also detachable topcases available but I just use a "RAC" bag if I need additional storage.
Dog
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
This is a terrific site but I would definitely hop on over to hdforums.com. Tons of info and a terrific aftermarket of used stuff. Good luck; road king is a bike I'd definitely like to own again
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Hondarider
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
Congratulations on the new ride! It's beautiful! I especially dig the wheels. The best thing that ever happened to my Harley wasn't the pipes or the intake or any of the farkles...it was the Corbin seat. It transformed the bike completely from an around town cruiser to a long distance traveler. I've heard guys on the internet who have had issues with Corbin, but I've had about 8 of them over the years - including 4 of the bikes in my garage right now - and I absolutely love them. I've bought them off the shelf or with all sorts of custom patterns and options - always great service and always an heirloom quality product. I'm sure there are other companies making fine seats as well. A good seat is worth every penny.
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Congratulations on finding a bike like that, especially so close by! I was deciding between an 09 Road King like yours or the Electra Glide Standard, which are essentially the same bike. They were both the same price new. I liked the looks of the RK better and like the flexibility that it's windshield is removable. I didn't care for the handlebars though and the seat wasn't quite as well shaped or comfortable to me. The salesman said "yeah, most people change handlebars on Road kings". I ended up buying the EG simply because I have other un-faired bikes and the seat and handlebars are PERFECT for me.
You should sit on an EG at a dealer and try those bars. I'm sure they'd be a inexpensive swap, unlike going to ape hangers which will require new cables, brake lines, etc. The one thing I did change was to replace the restrictive airbox with a K&N unit. It comes with a new back plate, filter and mounting hardware. You still utilize the stock "ham can" chrome cover. You'll gain more with this than any exhaust. AutoZone will order it at 15-20% off if you're interested.
Enjoy that motorcycle!
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,385
Congratulations on your bike! Fortunately, there is a huge aftermarket for your bike so finding the right seat and bar configuration should be a breeze. Although, I think there may be too many choices...

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob View Post
Hey Eric can you explain more about what adjustable is? On drivers backrest?
I am unsure what I'm looking for?
I really think the barks are to low..I noticed right away and I've never changed bars on any other Bike ever!

I have at least a few weeks before riding weather so have it a bit torn apart for cleaning and want to get a few things adjusted and added now for something to do.
Thanks for the congrats and I want your inputs if you are familiar with this bike
Hap
I'm not sure about other makes but HD makes a riders backrest that adjust forward and back with a lever that you mount on the left side by the side cover

Adjustable Rider Backrest Mounting Kit

52596-09A

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Required to install Adjustable Rider Backrest on '09-later Touring models (except Trike).

MSRP US $219.95

You buy the actual backrest separately to match your seat style. The backrest itself comes off easy and is also adjustable up and down as well as front to rear.

I was there for the prep of my 09 RK and they had me sit on the bike and moved the bars towards the front or rear until I told them that felt good to me, If the bars are feeling low to you maybe you can just loosen them push them forward to raise them up a bit and tighten it down. For what I understand changing out the bars is fairly common if you stay within the wire length, I've also heard of some pretty pricey installation charges to do it.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Leave it alone and ride it 5K miles. Then you'll know what needs attention so the money will be well spent.