Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Leave it alone and ride it 5K miles. Then you'll know what needs attention so the money will be well spent.
I agree for the most part, left mine stock for 50k miles and really didn't have any complaints; but some of the changes I wished I had done sooner because it made for a nicer ride. Wasn't money well spent since I did most of the changes within 10k miles of trading in the bike and then did it all again on my next bike. I didn't wait on this bike I already knew I would like the changes and just did it.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
The main recommendation from me is shitcan those junk shocks. Those pneumatic door closers have no business being on a $20K bike. I have had great results with the Progressive 944. Not cheap but if you enjoy the lowered look w/o the lumber wagon ride. Lowers an inch but retains the travel of an unlowered bike. Ride quality is improved considerably. Money well spent. Built a 106" bike last week and he had installed Ohlins. The Ohlins have nothing on the top shelf Progressives. The forks may need some attention after you find out how good a late model touring bike can ride.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,266
Unless you've got really short legs, or are more into how a bike looks than how it performs, why lower it?

I mean, you've just spent $ upgrading the shocks. Why make the bike worse by lowering it?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,391
Wow. You did good. Want to sell it cheap? I don't see any way you went wrong there. If it is a CA model, it has a cat and an evap system. The evap system can cause hard starting and poor running, but it is easy to remove. If it has a cat you will need a new exhaust to get rid of it, but most people put aftermarket exhausts on Harleys these days (actually they always have) Due to the EPA the stock pipes are too restrictive. There are only 3 issues I can think about as far as the mechanical stuff goes. The '09s uses a straight cut top gear, which does whine ( and many people complain about) but it will not hurt anything. It's actually stronger than a helical gear. The first big issue is overheating, again caused by the EPA. Harley even came up with some totally off the wall stuff to try and deal with it, including a fan for the rear cylinder, and cutting the spark to the rear cylinder at idle. The real cure is to simply remap the fuel injection, making it rich enough from idle to redline, and the high running temps will come right down. If you are going to switch pipes, wait and remap it to the engine set up the way you want it.

The second issue, which applies to all Twin Cam Harleys, is to replace the cam chain tensioners, and possibly even the chains every 25,000 to 30,000 miles. The tensioner is PLASTIC, and just like Kawasaki's plastic oil pump gears, do fail eventually. But it is an easy job, everything is right under the cam cover. You do have to remove the pushrods to get the cams out. But it is no harder than tearing the whole rear end including swingarm apart every 10,000 miles on my Vulcan 750 to do maintenance.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

The second issue, which applies to all Twin Cam Harleys, is to replace the cam chain tensioners, and possibly even the chains every 25,000 to 30,000 miles. The tensioner is PLASTIC, and just like Kawasaki's plastic oil pump gears, do fail eventually. But it is an easy job, everything is right under the cam cover. You do have to remove the pushrods to get the cams out. But it is no harder than tearing the whole rear end including swingarm apart every 10,000 miles on my Vulcan 750 to do maintenance.
Your wrong it applies to early models prior to 07, I'll let you do the research.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,391
I got the information from Harley forums (research) They did change the design, but it is still plastic, and still tends to break and/or wear down.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I got the information from Harley forums (research) They did change the design, but it is still plastic, and still tends to break and/or wear down.
Then lets not forget the primary chain tensioner too, I opened up my primary at 57k miles and the compensator sure was shot but the primary tensioner had no real wear. Plastic will break, metal items do too. The problems that are talked about with routinely checking or replacing (gear driven) are prior to 07. As there been failures with later models I'm sure there as but as far as I know and not speculation the later models are not having problems. Correct me if I'm wrong and just because it's made of plastic wont work for me.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
I've got the Heritage bars on mine 2-3" taller and a bit more pullback..
woodnbow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,882
Quote:
Wow. You did good. Want to sell it cheap? I don't see any way you went wrong there. If it is a CA model, it has a cat and an evap system. The evap system can cause hard starting and poor running, but it is easy to remove. If it has a cat you will need a new exhaust to get rid of it, but most people put aftermarket exhausts on Harleys these days (actually they always have) Due to the EPA the stock pipes are too restrictive. There are only 3 issues I can think about as far as the mechanical stuff goes. The '09s uses a straight cut top gear, which does whine ( and many people complain about) but it will not hurt anything. It's actually stronger than a helical gear. The first big issue is overheating, again caused by the EPA. Harley even came up with some totally off the wall stuff to try and deal with it, including a fan for the rear cylinder, and cutting the spark to the rear cylinder at idle. The real cure is to simply remap the fuel injection, making it rich enough from idle to redline, and the high running temps will come right down. If you are going to switch pipes, wait and remap it to the engine set up the way you want it.

Stop dispensing advice when you've no idea of what you speak.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,421
You will likely find that the bars off of a Heritage Softail will be perfect.

The Cable operated Ride Back rest is a MUST IMO $410 installed +/-
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #26
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,421
Quote:

The second issue, which applies to all Twin Cam Harleys, is to replace the cam chain tensioners, and possibly even the chains every 25,000 to 30,000 miles.
Jerry SHUT the hell UP! You know not of which you speak.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 08:40 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #27
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
JerryH, I've been trying to like you, but you're starting to make it hard.

The cam chain tensioner was redesigned in 07 with a hydraulic unit that basically fixed all the problems. It works very well, does not have a known maximum useful life, and can be retrofitted on pre 07 twin cams. This factory unit works so well there is little to no benefit to expensive aftermarket options like gear drives.

The OP bought a 09, he has no reason to worry about cam chain tensioners, and you did him a dis-service.
boatpuller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,266
Boys, boys, boys. Haven't ya'll figured JerryH out yet? He trolls all these threads, purposely saying silly things to catch a response. Been doing it for a long time, too. Yet he continues to catch fish.

He has good bait: mixing in just enough zingers in paragraphs which have a lot of true statements. Great trolling strategy.

Ya'll use the ignore button, ok?

Old 03-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Boys, boys, boys. Haven't ya'll figured JerryH out yet? He trolls all these threads, purposely saying silly things to catch a response. Been doing it for a long time, too. Yet he continues to catch fish.

He has good bait: mixing in just enough zingers in paragraphs which have a lot of true statements. Great trolling strategy.

Ya'll use the ignore button, ok?
So, it's a ruse just to get people to tell him that he's a dumbass. Odd behavior to say the least.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Road King

Ride it like it is. If the seats not perfect buy a Alaska Sheepskin from Alaska Sheepskin Company. Don't try to change an already great bike. Just ride it.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote