Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
james t kirk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
the shark evoline 3 is the best modular on the market.

kirk out

james t kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
docwyte OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
I'm curious to see how I like the C3 Pro. I wasn't able to try it on in the store, they don't stock it. They did agree to refund me 100% if I don't like the way it fits though.

I'm used to how my race car helmets fit, which isn't as tight around the mouth/chin as the C3 was. Not sure I'm going to like that, I'll have to see. If I don't I guess I'll get the Arai XD4, as it had substantially more room there.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Well, I thought I'd give a different helmet style a try and after looking at modular helmets and DS helmets, decided on a modular. Reasons included ease of taking pictures,drinking, and making eye contact. Since my Nexx FF is five years old, and I'm leaving on a 6 month moto trip in the fall, this seemed like a good time to pull the trigger on a new lid.

My problem is that I have an "Arai head." The Sharks, Scorpions, and HJCs all gave me a hot spot on the forehead that was evident almost immediately. That was a deal breaker. Then, I tried the Shoei Neo Tec, one size up. Perfect.

A local store had a sale over the weekend, so I bought.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I 'm looking forward to seeing the world through its face shield.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 492
Just bought the Shoei Neotec. Did so because I was able to buy thinner cheak pads. Got a great fit dropping from the 35 mm to the 31 mmn pads.
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Just bought the Shoei Neotec. Did so because I was able to buy thinner cheak pads. Got a great fit dropping from the 35 mm to the 31 mmn pads.
Ditto...
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Well, I thought I'd give a different helmet style a try and after looking at modular helmets and DS helmets, decided on a modular. Reasons included ease of taking pictures,drinking, and making eye contact. Since my Nexx FF is five years old, and I'm leaving on a 6 month moto trip in the fall, this seemed like a good time to pull the trigger on a new lid.

My problem is that I have an "Arai head." The Sharks, Scorpions, and HJCs all gave me a hot spot on the forehead that was evident almost immediately. That was a deal breaker. Then, I tried the Shoei Neo Tec, one size up. Perfect.

A local store had a sale over the weekend, so I bought.

Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I 'm looking forward to seeing the world through its face shield.

Cheers,
Steve
(emphasis mine)

On my most recent helmet purchase I declined the visor and vents bells and whistles and opted for simplicity. DOT approval assumed, your comment about head shape hit a critical issue to me - which is fitment and comfort. I spent a half dozen Fridays on the way home from work trying on helmets and settled on an HJC CL Max II modular. It's an inexpensive helmet that fits me perfectly, and my second of the same model.

Arguments about quality are endless. At the moment I have two Shoei's, a Scorpion, and another one whose manufacturer I can't recall stashed in the carport. Two of them are full cover lids and one is a modular. Then I have two open-face models that are wired with audio for use on the Wing. The fit on the HJC is always comfortable and the first CL I had (inherited in a bike buy) performed flawlessly for five years of abuse, including a trip on the CDT in 2010.

Out there, I figured out quickly that if I crashed a head injury was not as likely to get me as the blunt force trauma of the sudden stop of the bottom of a 300 foot plunge off a cliff, or that of t-boning a trail side boulder or becoming impaled on a cacti...

And as a matter of personal need, I suffer chronic dry eyes and wear a type of sunglasses that have pads around the frames to keep dust and wind to a minimum. The openness of a visor type shade with the accompanying wind on my eyes would quickly make me miserable -- and stopping every 50 miles to put in eye drops is a pain.

All that said, the convenience of any modular is unbeatable when paired with the wind and weather protection it offers.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #22
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Basketcase makes a great point...

On my most recent helmet purchase I declined the visor and vents bells and whistles and opted for simplicity. DOT approval assumed, your comment about head shape hit a critical issue to me - which is fitment and comfort. I spent a half dozen Fridays on the way home from work trying on helmets and settled on an HJC CL Max II modular. It's an inexpensive helmet that fits me perfectly, and my second of the same model.

If it doesn't fit perfectly, it doesn't matter. All the modern helmets are, I believe "safe" enough. And sometimes the most expensive isn't necessarily the best.

In my opinion, If I cannot wear a lid and forget I've got it on, it doesn't really matter much.

cheers,
Steve
Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #23
Stray Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by james t kirk View Post
the shark evoline 3 is the best modular on the market.
Not wanting to hijack, but how do you find the Shark for noise?
I just bought exactly the same helmet, and found it to be the noisiest helmet I've ever had.
It's worse with the chin bar and screen down than up....
I'm now going back to my Arai

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
docwyte OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, picked up the C3 Pro today. Tried it on in the store and it felt ok, so I walked out with it.

Then I wore it during my lunch break at my desk, which turned out to be a good thing, as it practically killed me.

Very uncomfortable fit on the back of my head near the occipital bone. Huge hot spot! Even now, a few hours later, my head still aches a bit.

So I called the shop and they've graciously agreed to take it back, looks like I'll be exchanging it for an Arai XD4.

On the plus side for the helmet, the quality of it is superb. Fit and finish are wonderful, everything has nice feel to it. Very plush inner liner, looks cool.

I'm a bit bummed as I was really looking forward to having this helmet, but much more important to get one that doesn't give me a raging headache inside of 30 minutes of wearing it.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #25
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Well, picked up the C3 Pro today. Tried it on in the store and it felt ok, so I walked out with it.

Then I wore it during my lunch break at my desk, which turned out to be a good thing, as it practically killed me.

Very uncomfortable fit on the back of my head near the occipital bone. Huge hot spot! Even now, a few hours later, my head still aches a bit.

So I called the shop and they've graciously agreed to take it back, looks like I'll be exchanging it for an Arai XD4.

On the plus side for the helmet, the quality of it is superb. Fit and finish are wonderful, everything has nice feel to it. Very plush inner liner, looks cool.

I'm a bit bummed as I was really looking forward to having this helmet, but much more important to get one that doesn't give me a raging headache inside of 30 minutes of wearing it.
I feel your pain...no pun intended. I desparately wanted to love the C3. No joy..my head is too long oval. The Shoei Neo Tec was for me....

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
docwyte OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, maybe it's all for the best, as I was really torn between the C3 Pro and the XD4. Now that the C3 Pro doesn't fit me worth a damn, I'm forced to get the XD4.

Picked up the XD4 yesterday, haven't ridden in it yet. Initial comparison vs the C3 Pro:

Exterior: Both are finished to the same level, paint quality and clear coat finishes are flawless on both.

Interior: The C3 Pro has a much more plush liner, particularly the spots down near your neck.

Features: This is somewhat of a wash, particularly since the XD4 is $200 cheaper than the C3 Pro. I expect more for my money and the C3 Pro delivers with an included pinlock visor an drop down smoked screen built in. However the XD4 has the visor and more venting.

The drop down smoked "sunglass" screen on the C3 is pretty much lost on me, as I always wear a set of polarized sunglasses with my helmet. I do appreciate the added room around my chin/mouth that the XD4 has, the C3 Pro felt almost claustrophobic in that area, very little room there for me. Oh yeah, I especially appreciate how the XD4 doesn't give me a raging headache inside of 30 minutes.

Once I ride with the XD4 I'll post a detailed review.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #27
2012BlackKLR650
KTM 690 Enduro *****

Oddometer: 34
....my 2 cents .....if thread is still alive ;)

Well, I cheaped out. I liked the modular concept for all the reasons mentioned here. I found an HJC IS-max at a local shop...under $200. Not the quietest (maybe)...and probably not the lightest (maybe)...but just about the cheapest. I love it. Got a pinlock on it..and that rocks. Sunshield in the dark smoke...wear my glasses under it all the time.. no need for sunglasses. Buddy of mine is a motorcycle cop..has the Shark. HATEs it...loves my HJC.

Anyone out looking should check it out.

Dave
2012BlackKLR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 AM   #28
BWSwamper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Caberg has a true modular dual sport with peak.

Here's what I'm talking about...

http://www.burnoutitaly.com/caberg-t...BJkaAo9_8P8HAQ
BWSwamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #29
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
been really happy w/ the FLY TREKKER

DOT & ECE

full face, full shield, visor, good vent system, removable/washable liner

bought it in 2012 & still happy w/ it

rode it on a 4k+mile/all weather trip w/o any major complaints