User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Razzeaux OP
Reluctant Wanderer

Oddometer: 80
Gloves solution for rain

I'm finishing up my rain gear and I have left my gloves for last. I'm a newbie when it comes to the rain, so I'm starting from scratch. What do you do for your gloves in the rain? Are there rain specific gloves? or is there another solution.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzeaux View Post
I'm finishing up my rain gear and I have left my gloves for last. I'm a newbie when it comes to the rain, so I'm starting from scratch. What do you do for your gloves in the rain? Are there rain specific gloves? or is there another solution.
Hello,

Bilt, leaked.

heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic

heirhead screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 10:12 PM
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,517
I've had similar experiences with liner making it nearly impossible to get the gloves back on. I have a pair of Helds GoreTex that have been good for waterproof, but as soon as I stop for gas, the liner makes them virtually unusable.

My best solution thus far is a simple summer type glove, with Aerostich (or similar) lobster claw over mist. Yeah, they are goofy, but really aren't that bad once your riding. They are the only thing I've found for extensive miles in heavy rain. Another plus is they are relatively cheap and pack very small and light.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
CharlesLathe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I have a pair of OR (Outdoor Research) mitten shells. I carry them in my tank bag and put them on over my gloves when it's cold or raining. They are pricy, but I've used them for several years now. When we wash our riding suits in Tech Wash DNR restorer, my mitten shells go into the wash.

Regards, Chuck
CharlesLathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,126
I have a couple friends that use neoprene divers gloves and rave about them. No protection though.

I usually get a pair of black dollar store rubber gloves and large enough to slip over my existing gloves.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,820
I've been very happy with my BMW summer rain gloves. In cooler wet weather I have a pair of Smartwool liners. I've discovered that when donning the rain gear it works better for me to put the gloves on first, followed by the Frogtoggs jacket so that the the elastic cuffs of the jacket help prevent allowing water to enter into the gloves better than if the gauntlets were on the outside of the jacket.

Last spring on a trip up the BRP I rode all day in the rain with the toggs, my BMW summer gloves, and my Belleville 770 boots and stayed quite dry.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 867
I use the Aerostich 3-finger gloves called "triple digit covers #442." These excellent little guys are in black or glow colors, and are made of thin water and wind proof material that goes 6" back behind the wrist and have a wrist velcro cinch. They take up little space. I leave them in my tank bag and easily accessible. Raining ahead? I unzip the tank bag (sometimes still riding) and slip them over and cinch up the velcro.

I also use them when it's cold to reduce air from circulating through my gloves to my cold fingers.

The only negatives: three-fingers affects dexterity a bit, can be hot an humid when riding in hot weather rain, and the synthetic material will melt if you accidentally touch a hot exhaust header.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
RonSJC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I recently purchased a pair of waterpoof gloves from Cyclegear (not sure which model) warm, but my hands sweat like crazy. They are supposed to be breathable, but it took two days after the trip to dry them out. (And it wasn't raining)
Anyone use ski gloves? I know the protection would be minimal, but possibly less expensive. I've seen nice Goretex gloves on sale.
RonSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
I have some overgloves for sale in the Gear section. I'm selling them because they're a little too small for me, otherwise I'd keep them. I think some sort of overglove or overmitt is the only way to ensure that your hands will stay dry and your leather gloves won't become waterlogged.....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869202

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Glove Covers

Aerostich Rain Glove Covers

Get a pair or two and stash them in a spot on your bike or in your jacket and you've got em when you need them, and they help when it's colder than you thought and need a little extra windbreak/insulation.

Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Theone098
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I have leather IXS Taras GTX summer gloves with Goretex. Absolute waterproof and no issues whatsoever.
Theone098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 209
I've tried all sorts of so called waterproof gloves that probably work well until rain runs down your arm or your sleeve (depending on whether you put your gauntlets inside your sleeve or not) and fills up the glove anyways. I've tried the 3 digit covers, as well as dish washing gloves and even latex hospital gloves.

Last year I finally picked up a pair of BMW Atlantis 3 waterproof gloves. They are Gore-Tex lined, don't have a fleece lining (which is what makes it a PITA to get the gloves on over wet hands), and have a double gauntlet. You tuck the inner gauntlet inside of your sleeve, then put the outer gauntlet over the sleeve. Water can't run up the sleeve and then back down your arm that way to enter the glove. Any water that runs down the outside of your sleeve and in between the two gauntlet drains out of the drain holes in the bottom of the outer gauntlet. I haven't had wet hands since I started using them, and I don't mind rain riding for hours on end either. They aren't a winter glove by any means, but if you have heated grips they'll be fine for most of the year. They're definitely worth the price tag, like most good riding gear is.

http://store.bobsbmw.com/product/bmw-atlantis-3-gloves

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,322
Rukka Lobster gloves

Rukka Lobster gloves.

Tasmania is the Australian equivalent of the Pacific northwet, and I can do a wet west coast ride dry, with these gloves mated to a Rukka Armas jacket and trousers, boots are Sidi adventure goretex.

It is essential that the glove cuff be clamped onto the jacket arm, BMW waterproof gloves use the same system, but the Rukka Lobster system is easier to use.

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
I've had water-proof gloves, liners and all manor of treatments on my other gloves but nothing compares to the 'Stich Triple Digits. 'Goofy looking as hell and expensive but they pack down tinny, fit over anything and really, really work.
Andy & Co. actually spend a fair amount of time on bikes and it shows in products such as this:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-t...it-covers.html
Old 03-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,998
I'm a believer in the aerostich crab glove covers mentioned in post #7. "work well" and when not needed wad up nice and small for easy stowage.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote