Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #286
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,108
Are they gonna do a live 'cast for the unveiling?
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #287
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I just saw the History channel American Picker dude on the Indian commercial.
Polaris has definitely spent the money to put the bike out there.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #288
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,268
I am (wishfully) thinking that with Indian up and going, Polaris / Victory can now break out of the cruiser rut and build some adventure bikes. I think they could do it quite successfully with their offroad background.

ADV bikes are the fastest growing segment in motorcycling. It has to be at least somewhat attractive.

The Indian looks pretty damn cool, this is coming from someone who is about as anti-cruiser as it gets.
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #289
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,998
I love cruisers, but for their comfort, not their looks. The Indian seems like a poser bike to me, but I guess that is what it is supposed to be. Hopefully there will be some good engineering to back up the looks. I just wish Victory would get away from the Vegas based bikes. While I don't ride cruisers for the look, most of them do look pretty decent to me. The Vegas is one of the ugliest cruisers I've ever seen.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #290
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Indian seems like a poser bike to me, but I guess that is what it is supposed to be.
I don't think there's such a thing as a poser bike, only posers who buy a popular bike and help ruin it's cred

The Japanese cruisers you hold in such high regard are copies of the ultimate poser bike as you would call it. You can't go to a single motorcycle forum and not run into Harley bashing...but it's not the bikes' fault, it's the huge poser market share they attract.
There's lots of money to be had selling image, but pity the fool that doesn't back it up with good product.

Like the Motus, this bike is not aimed at the Everyman market, but it's appeal is obvious to those who want to see the name come back and be a success.

Polaris/Victory seems extremely dedicated to making that happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Hopefully there will be some good engineering to back up the looks.
You should read up on them a bit more.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #291
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I don't think there's such a thing as a poser bike, only posers who buy a popular bike and help ruin it's cred
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #292
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,196
Posers....

First clue: Backward cap and Ape hanger handle bars.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #293
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post

ADV bikes are the fastest growing segment in motorcycling. It has to be at least somewhat attractive.
And sure to break out of thier single-digit market share, any decade now!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #294
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
And sure to break out of thier single-digit market share, any decade now!

Yeah, we'll be into 12%. Look out, world! We'll have posers on adv bikes soon. Backward caps and Jesse's!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #295
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,180

Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #296
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,415
Anybody know if there is a live feed for the revealing? ? Only a few hours left.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #297
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post

Gotta admit. That's a pretty good one!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 08-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #298
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
Anybody know if there is a live feed for the revealing? ? Only a few hours left.

Got an email from them this morning, only place they said for us at home is on FB...I don't FB, but here is the link they sent:

https://www.facebook.com/indianmotorcycle?WT.mc_id
Old 08-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #299
kpmsprtd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
That was a great ad. Good thing I stuck with it till the end as I was getting downright furious at Indian for selling a bike to be cleaned and polished, instead of ridden. (Thought it was an Indian being cleaned and polished.)
kpmsprtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #300
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmsprtd View Post
That was a great ad. Good thing I stuck with it till the end as I was getting downright furious at Indian for selling a bike to be cleaned and polished, instead of ridden. (Thought it was an Indian being cleaned and polished.)

Well, if you don't want a bike to be cleaned and polished, you might want to pick something other than a Harley, OR and Indian, or at least just not care how it looks. My all weather bike is my GS. Since it isn't a "pretty" bike anyway, it goes for months at a time without being cleaned. In many ways I really enjoy it because I don't care if it's clean or not, and just ride it. Went for a ride on my Harley today. I love riding it, but it IS a pretty bike. And I have a custom leather seat too. So, yeah, I puckered a little and wasn't too happy when I came up on a stretch of road that was wet from a recent rain. I've never been a fair weather rider before, but when thinking of the PITA it was gonna be to get my Harley all clean and pretty again, I was sorta wishing I was on the BMW. I guess I'll get over that eventually, but my Harley is pretty new and I haven't had it out in the rain yet.

From the little glimpses I've seen, I fully expect the Indian to be different in some ways, but still a highly stylized, chromed out, Harleyish bike, with a different name on the tank. Still with a lot of shiny bits and nooks and crannies to be cleaned and polished if you want it clean and looking nice. That's really more of a rider thing than a bike thing. Really no different from a Harley in that regard.