Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
The engine is surely intersting, but not a technological marvel by any means. To really make a statement, they should have had "the world's first" type of new feature on that thing, but maybe it will impress non the less.

For indian to really succeed this bike is going to have be just as functional as it is cool. There are just too many very cool bikes out there already, that just aren't finctional. I don't think the market needs another piece of overprices eye candy that isnt a complete dream to ride. It needs to have a very serious amount of soul.

MariusD screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 04:04 PM
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #32
Monkeyshines
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
First example of the new Indian motorcyles. Looks uncomfortable.

see now, that's just hokey.

the Indian booth at Chicago IMS was pure cheezeball pap too. A dorky DJ stylin' MC prodding the audience to "make some noise yo or we won't fire up"(and proceed to rev the piss out of the hapless) classic Scout...that, btw, did we mention we are like sort of totally the company that built it back then?
Monkeyshines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #33
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyshines View Post

the Indian booth at Chicago IMS was pure cheezeball pap too. A dorky DJ stylin' MC prodding the audience to "make some noise yo or we won't fire up"(and proceed to rev the piss out of the hapless) classic Scout...that, btw, did we mention we are like sort of totally the company that built it back then?

Hokey? Maybe they are just having fun. Don't be so serious, they are just motorcycles.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #34
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,885
If the the genius and inspired creativity of the video is representative of the company, motor and bike, I'm in!!!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:

Yup. You could smell the desperation at the Indian booth at the NYC International Motorcycle Show. They could have used the 111 Motor to drum up some excitement. Sadly, there was none to be had. All they had was the same old overpriced Chiefs, looking like parade floats with all their tassles.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #36
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
If the the genius and inspired creativity of the video is representative of the company, motor and bike, I'm in!!!
I think this sums it up pretty well. Look at Polaris......alot of folks thought they would be gone by now when they announced they were going to build motorcycles 10 or so years ago. They haven't messed around. Arlen Ness and his kid designed some pretty cool looking bikes, bikes with some pretty good engineering behind them. They bought Klim. They make some of the best off road vehichles out there. Their snowmobile and watercraft sell well and have done so for years. All this in a relatively shit market where every other manufacturer, except maybe the Europeons, have fallen on their faces. While not in the market for any of the above, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products, and I suspect they will do just fine with Indian .

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #37
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,375
looks good, and 115 ft/lbs is nothing to sneeze at.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #38
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 320
I'd be ok if I were to do nothing but watch that engine promo video all day long.

That was pretty well done.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #39
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,039
I can't say I see anything hokey going on here.

Yes, IMS had nothing new... but nothing was ready. Slow down now - they just acquired the brand name - I'm actually impressed that they already released specs (and a very cool video!) on their brand new engine. New doesn't happen overnight.

What was hokey was slapping in a POS S&S and running the bikes out the door and calling it an Indian. Polaris is not doing this and I give them a lot of respect for doing something new. If anyone has the means and motivation to make something new and nice, it's Polaris. They obviously didn't buy the brand to run back into the dirt - this is a serious and proven motorcycle manufacturer and I have high hopes for a long-term resurrection. I get the feeling that the company has a respect for the name and the history and that they didn't just buy the name for short-term profit's sake...

...but I've been wrong before.

What I personally want isn't what they're building most likely - but I'm wishing them well. Competition in the market is a good thing.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #40
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
An LSR machine to showcase your new engine "hokey"?

You're kidding, right?

Beats the hell out of the crickets we're hearing from the MOTUS camp.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #41
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I, for one, am really curious to see what kind of motorcycle they wrap around it

I wouldn't mind a retro-cruiser, kind of a harley softail deluxe, but without the 300 extra pounds, with at least 10 degrees more lean angle thrown in, and without the "ness-itis" that victory cruisers seem to suffer from.
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #42
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
I wouldn't mind a retro-cruiser, kind of a harley softail deluxe, but without the 300 extra pounds, with at least 10 degrees more lean angle thrown in, and without the "ness-itis" that victory cruisers seem to suffer from.
Yes, keep the Ness's far away from those bikes. They have done enough damage.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 AM   #43
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,013
Quote:
Indian's not asleep. it's dead. like a half century dead. this is a leisure product meglomerate buying a long dead motorcycle company's name to create and sell a motorcycle product line using the former company's identity.
Very true. At least they are not trying to steal the identity of a motorcycle and a company that still exists, like the Japanese are doing with Harley.

As for Victory, I was all excited when the first Victory motorcycles came out. They had some flaws, but I figured they'd be dealt with after a couple of years and I would seriously consider buying one. I never got the chance. Along came the Vegas, and the bike I liked so much was gone. For someone like me who buys a cruiser to RIDE, not to look at, the Vegas was a big disappointment. And in my opinion, so was bringing the Ness' into it. They ruined everything. But I guess it sells. People complained that the first bike was to plain, the main thing I liked about it. But then I am not a "poser" I wear a full face helmet, so nobody would have any idea who was on whatever I was riding anyway.

As far as MOTUS, they are smoking something funny over there. Not for me.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #44
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Stop with the NESS references!! He did NOT design the Vegas or any Victory....Victory's lead motorcycle designer is Michael Song, always has been.

Additionally, Jerry. Go ride one, any one, whether it's a Vegas, KP, XC, I don't care! It will shock you at how good it is compared to your Vulcan. You say it's all about the "RIDE" well go do it.

Victory will even refund your purchase if you don't like it:

http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en...e/details.aspx
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #45
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Very true. At least they are not trying to steal the identity of a motorcycle and a company that still exists, like the Japanese are doing with Harley.

That's exactly what Victory was accused of doing when they started. Then people started seeing how good their bikes and powertrains are because they didn't let presumption and bias make up their mind for them.

Now there are a whole lot of Victory owners you could never pry away from their bikes because they found something that scratches their itch just the right way. It's called innovation, broseph.

kraven screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 08:34 AM
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote