Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #61
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Maybe Ness didn't design the bikes, just messed them up (MY OPINION) I've never seen a Ness creation that I didn't think looked like garbage. Most of them didn't even look rideable. But again, I don't buy bikes to look at, or be seen on, and I have a feeling that is what the "next" new Indian will be. I hope I'm wrong. Everybody thinks that because I like cruisers looks is all I care about. I ride cruisers because they are super comfortable (most of them) and the mid sized ones make excellent solo touring bikes without spending a fortune.
Yeah, you totally come off as someone that just happens to find cruisers comfortable. No axe to grind whatsoever.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #62
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
The new engine looks great IMO. Looks like it has a balance shaft and the primary case looks even shorter than HD's Dyna models. Will allow for even lower seating behind the engine by my guess.

Now if only they'll stay away from those hideous bulbuous valanced fenders, tassles and 100 extra pounds of tasteless metal "cough, cough" beauty trim and looked far away from the nostalgiac looks that today's buyers admire but don't really want to own, they may be able to move foward and cut their own path.

And yes! Keep those 3 generations of retarded Nesses away from it. They should've hired Pierre Terblanche to handle the styling. Instead, Confederate is hoping he'll design out their ugliness. Pierre could do wonders for Indian.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #63
Hughlysses OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
The new engine looks great IMO. Looks like it has a balance shaft and the primary case looks even shorter than HD's Dyna models. Will allow for even lower seating behind the engine by my guess.
According to the specs, yes it has a balance shaft. It looks to me like the primary case is even shorter than a Sportster's.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #64
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Maybe back to the roots of Indian, racing bikes, fast little bobbers and scramblers with big engines. 111ci in a 500 pound bike, that would be smart, anything else would not be smart.
Yep.

I would buy an Indian Scout with 500 lbs wet weight and 111 inches tomorow. Hell, I'd buy a 45 incher if it screamed.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #65
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yep.

I would buy an Indian Scout with 500 lbs wet weight and 111 inches tomorow.
Size/weight-wise, that would put it between a Sportster and a Bonneville. But with WAY more power.

That would be a badass retro standard!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #66
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Size/weight-wise, that would put it between a Sportster and a Bonneville. But with WAY more power.

That would be a badass retro standard!

AND it would be an Indian. Hard to get more badass than that.

If I had a bike like that, you couldn't tell me nothin'.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #67
Monkeyshines
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
An LSR machine to showcase your new engine "hokey"?

You're kidding, right?

Beats the hell out of the crickets we're hearing from the MOTUS camp.
will they be running the LSR shaped engine display case on the salt or just toting it around to events?
Monkeyshines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #68
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyshines View Post
will they be running the LSR shaped engine display case on the salt or just toting it around to events?
I guess time will tell.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #69
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,183
It's for the Vetter hi-miles event.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #70
RickS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
I heard the new motor run in person today as they has one set up on a stand at destination daytona today. It is a unit construction that has one oil for everything like a Japanese bike. It was very impressive to hear and seemed smooth. They ran it up to probably 3000-3500 rpms and you could not feel much vibration if at all, a lot less than my road glide has. It is a good looking motor. It did not sound like a typical vtwin.

I posted this in another thread by mistake so if you see it twice sorry.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #71
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Yeah, you totally come off as someone that just happens to find cruisers comfortable. No axe to grind whatsoever.
I admit I don't care for the Ness' stuff. But that also applies to OCC, WCC, and every single one of the companies building Harley clone choppers. These things are nothing but road ornaments. For me to like it, it has to be practical, comfortable, handle well (not necessarily like a sportbike), reliable, and capable of being set up for touring with lots of carrying capacity. In other words, it has to meet all the performance criteria of a smaller Goldwing or Harley Electra Glide. Something for solo touring. The old style Japanese cruisers were perfect for this (mine was designed in 1985) The newer ones seem to be more about style than actual use. Thats why I liked the Honda CTX700 so much. A bike with the right riding position for me, without the fake Harley look of the latest cruisers, and hopefully with the ability to carry stuff.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #72
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Maybe Ness didn't design the bikes, just messed them up (MY OPINION) I've never seen a Ness creation that I didn't think looked like garbage. Most of them didn't even look rideable. But again, I don't buy bikes to look at, or be seen on, and I have a feeling that is what the "next" new Indian will be. I hope I'm wrong. Everybody thinks that because I like cruisers looks is all I care about. I ride cruisers because they are super comfortable (most of them) and the mid sized ones make excellent solo touring bikes without spending a fortune.
Your post just inspired me to change my signature line, JerryH!

Tom in Salem
Old 03-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #73
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,362
Quote:
I admit I don't care for the Ness' stuff. But that also applies to OCC, WCC, and every single one of the companies building Harley clone choppers. These things are nothing but road ornaments. For me to like it, it has to be practical, comfortable, handle well (not necessarily like a sportbike), reliable, and capable of being set up for touring with lots of carrying capacity. In other words, it has to meet all the performance criteria of a smaller Goldwing or Harley Electra Glide. Something for solo touring. The old style Japanese cruisers were perfect for this (mine was designed in 1985) The newer ones seem to be more about style than actual use. Thats why I liked the Honda CTX700 so much. A bike with the right riding position for me, without the fake Harley look of the latest cruisers, and hopefully with the ability to carry stuff.
I suspect you don't wave to those riding those bikes either......

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #74
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,635
I wave at EVERYONE on 2 wheels. It takes a lot of guts (and dedication and skill, and a few other things) to be out there in traffic on 2 wheels in a 4 wheeled cell phone dominated world. Thats a lot of what makes riding special to me. Just riding across town can be an adventure. It can also get you killed.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #75
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
I heard the new motor run in person today as they has one set up on a stand at destination daytona today. It is a unit construction that has one oil for everything like a Japanese bike. It was very impressive to hear and seemed smooth. They ran it up to probably 3000-3500 rpms and you could not feel much vibration if at all, a lot less than my road glide has. It is a good looking motor. It did not sound like a typical vtwin.

I posted this in another thread by mistake so if you see it twice sorry.
......almost everything not Harley has been unit construction for 40 years.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote