Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #16
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
I sold my Tenere after about 5 months with it, partially because I was buying a house (not the bikes fault).

Best two-up bike I have had
Handled very well for a 600 lb bike, very planted on gravel
Abs and traction control were nice features
Ergos were tall friendly. Frequently rode 3 hours without stopping.

Dislikes
600 lbs. not noticeable once moving, but there are scenarios were you just can't escape it.

The tractor feel was good on long rides, not so great for my urban/suburban riding and I just did not have the desire to explore offroad with it, although some are willing.

While not a race bike, I found myself doing things I shouldn't with 95 hp on tap.

I will miss it for two-up rides for sure.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #17
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
I/ Tenere, 28k mile valve check interval, GS 6k mile interval. Around here there is a Yamaha dealer in every small town, not that you need it. The closest BMW dealer is 3 hours away, and you will need it

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
Hello fellow riders,
I am seriously considering the R1200GS as my next ride but I am really curious about the Super Tenere. I will be riding it on the asphalt roads (including very bad ones) 99% of the time.
I have bought a Triumph Tiger in 2010 and sold it the next season because I could not trust it in corners. It was just not confidence inspiring to me and corners is where I usually find the greatest satisfaction when riding.
I would like to hear about Super Tenere owners regarding:
- Handling;
- Power;
- Protection;
- Comfort (for pilot and pillion);
- Pros and cons.
It is very difficult to get to test a bike out here, unfortunately, and I would like to avoid making a costly mistake again.
Thanking you in advance for your educated advice!
:-)
The Tenere in general will be a lot less costly mistake than a GS. Both initially and in the long run if either turned out that way. Given that a Strom would be a less costly mistake than any of them.

Handling? Stable and secure is the word on both. Off road the pros tend to give the nod to the Tenere by a bit, still stable and secure and predictable, where the GS can bite a bit if you loose momentum. Close call either way. Since you don't want off road that is moot. The GS has that slightly detached feel and may be less scary for noobs. Close but different.

Power,? The Tenere is a low compression motor, is tuned more as a linear lugging machine, has a nice flat curve after gear 3, (under gear three you can do the clutch switch mod, (50c for the base model mod and $10.00 for the deluxe option with switch). The GS has more power up top and a bit less down low. The GS motor is more street machine and the S10 more Dirt bike. 10% either way. If you want to win drag races you would go the GS.

Protection? Standard ADV bike fair. Neither of them is a Goldwing. Lots of options on both to get you further than stock.

Comfort?
I can do long trips no problems. Part of the comfort factor is the relaxed nature and stability of the Tenere. Less concentration = less fatigue. The Tenere just goes where you point it and does what you want. Seat is average on both but it seems I have average butt so it's not an issue. The Tenere fits me better out of the box and pips the GS on ergs out of the box for me. The new Wasser GS is a Tenere copy in the seat department any way.

Pros and cons?
YAMAHA Pros. Solid machine, Built as advertised. Quality design, Covers a variety of terrain with confidence. 450Km range ridden sensibly if you have to. Stable over nasty section of "road". Doesn't fall down often. Lots of aftermarket. It's not a boxer. It has it's own character.

Cons.? All the good design work that makes it so easy on unpredictable surfaces is lost on street riders. Still a good street bike but is a bit less "sharp" than the "Jacked up street bikes".It's not a boxer. It has it's own character. Fuel economy deteriorates over 130Km/h

GS.
Pros.
Ooh and aaahs, Prettier external finishes. Quality design. Good on the road, Plush. It's a boxer and has it's own character. 15Kg lighter than the S10. Lot's of switches. Radiator out of harms way.

Cons,
Reliability. You can get one that never had issues, but it's more of a lottery. Price, It's a boxer and has it's own character. More fragile but for street probably not an issue. 15Kg lighter than the S10. Lot's of switches. Fuel economy deteriorates over 130Km/h

Where I live I have to pay a 40% premium over a Tenere once it is optioned. Maybe worth a 10% premium for design but deduct 10% for Q&A problems. So no go for me. So at the same price I could have gone either way.

But the big question is you can get better protection for 99% street from an RT. Maybe you should have a look at something like that as well. More comfortable in a nice quite bubble of air.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #19
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Don't buy it it can cause seriuos brain injuries

I was a normal person before I buy this beast!!
I don't think you were ever a normal person.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,313
If the S10 cost $5K more than the BMW, I would have still purchased it.

I am very particular about what bikes I would buy, especially new. If you cannot tell which bike to spend $15-20k on, you need to do more test rides and read more reviews. These are not machines of necessity, so some of the why you choose a bike isn't tangible and cannot be explained.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #21
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,531
One thing not really mentioned, but the GS needs premium gasoline, which over the course of ownership adds to the costs and potential hassle when riding in BFE. Unnecessarily so, IMO.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #22
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
One thing not really mentioned, but the GS needs premium gasoline, which over the course of ownership adds to the costs and potential hassle when riding in BFE. Unnecessarily so, IMO.
Technically, so does the s10.
MariusD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #23
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Hello fellow riders,
I am seriously considering the R1200GS as my next ride but I am really curious about the Super Tenere. I will be riding it on the asphalt roads (including very bad ones) 99% of the time.
I have bought a Triumph Tiger in 2010 and sold it the next season because I could not trust it in corners. It was just not confidence inspiring to me and corners is where I usually find the greatest satisfaction when riding.
- Handling;
- Power;
- Protection;
- Pros and cons.
It is very difficult to get to test a bike out here, unfortunately, and I would like to avoid making a costly mistake again.
Never rode a GS. I bet they're nice, especially with the telelever front fork design. However, this is my justification for the Tenere over the GS:

I picked up a brand new, year end Tenere on trade in (2007 DL1000) for literally half the cost of a fully loaded GSA. I also managed to add a luggage system and still fall under the halfway mark.

There has to be some serious benefits to justify spending an extra 10k on a BMW.

I'm 5'4" and the ergos on the Tenere are a bit spaced out for me. I find myself hunched over the tank as I reach for the bars. Risers might do the trick.

Probably the most well balanced bike I've rode. Handles extremely well at low speeds but I don't trust it too much in the twisties. Visa versa for the DL1000.

Power seems vague and linear. Don't get me wrong; it hauls but not like you would expect from a 1200.

Pro: Best bang for your buck when it comes to the large machines (especially in the shaft-drive lineup).

Cons: None so far. Haven't had it long enough to come up with any. When I purchased my DL1000 a while ago, I thought it was the best thing ever. When I traded it two weeks ago, I could write you a list of cons on reasons not to purchase a DL1000.

TeneRay screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 04:23 PM
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #24
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
One note on power, my bike has the CMJ, Arrow header, Two Brothers slip on and a PCV with a custom map. It hit about 95 hp on the dyno and 80 ft lbs of torque. My last bike was a KTM 990 Adv. with about the same mods and Super Duke cams. I would say 0 to 80 mph the Tenere is faster and over 80 to 120 mph they feel very close. I am very happy with the performance of the bike and really do not feel it is lacking for the type of riding I like.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:41 AM   #25
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Technically, so does the s10.
Compression ratios

R1200GS 2013 12.5 :1
R1200GS 2012 12.0 :1
KTM 990 11.5 :1
Vstrom 1000 11.3 :1
VStrom 650 11.2 :1
Tiger Explorer 11.0 :1
Tiger 800 11.0 :1
Super Tenere 11.0 .1
TDM 900 10.5 :1

Gives you an idea what bikes are least vulnerable to low octane fuel. A point and a half difference on the GS tells me it's a bit more needy of the premium stuff over the S10.

So Technically the standard S10, Explorer, T800 are on the edge. Used sensibly it's not an issue. If you want to run WOT all over the place on hot days you may be pushing it.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #26
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Hello fellow riders,
- Handling;
- Power;
- Protection;
- Pros and cons.
I'm sure some will disagree but here are my impressions as an S10 owner: Excellent handling thanks to its very low center of gravity, feels very flickable without sacrificing stability. Solid as a rock at 200 kph. Good weather protection for me at 5'7" thanks to the fairly wide tank bodywork and an effective screen setup (stock screen with tobinator brackets). Can't comment on the pillion comfort but the stock seat is ok. As long as the roads are twisty I can ride all day on it without much discomfort. If I'm super-slabbing for long distances I do start to get monkey butt after a while. As far as power goes, the Super Tenere is not a slow bike by any means. But the new LC GS pulls a lot harder.

The Pros:
Looks
ABS braking and traction control intervention are seamless
Handling
Reliability
Suspension
Low maintenance
Bang for the buck

The Cons:
Restrictions in first 3 gears (can be eliminated)
Overly conservative drive modes (touring is useless imo)
No handlebar controls for dash functions
No gear indicator (not essential but why not include it on a $14,000 bike?)
No cruise control despite fly by wire throttle setup (should be an option)
Engine performance a bit underwhelming compared to the new GS
Traction control can't be changed on the fly

You should really try to scrounge up a test ride on a GS and an S10 and decide for yourself.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #27
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I'm sure some will disagree

The Cons:
1) Overly conservative drive modes (touring is useless imo)
2) No gear indicator (not essential but why not include it on a $14,000 bike?)
3) No cruise control despite fly by wire throttle setup (should be an option)
1) Until it gets rough and/or slimy then it works well. = Pro
2) Real men don't need no gear indicator. But top gear indicator would be nice, a bit whimpy but nice..
3) See above.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #28
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
1) Until it gets rough and/or slimy then it works well. = Pro

Good point. Should clarify that I haven't ridden the S10 offroad yet so maybe the Touring mode will prove useful then. On road SS is my normal mode and S is for slippery conditions or super slabbing.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,307
2-up

+1 to most of the above & not much written about passenger comfort, so . . .

Lots of Tenere owners have found that flattening the seat with a couple of rubber bumpers from the hardware store makes a huge improvement.

Same for the pillion seat. We raised the front of the pillion with a 3/8" spacer and with a sheep skin pad, my lady likes the S10 more than anything else she's been on. She's been good for 10 hour days on it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #30
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Don't buy it it can cause seriuos brain injuries
I was a normal person before I buy this beast!!
]
Don't listen to that crazy Spaniard as he was never normal and never will be.

Quote:
Wow! Thanks a lot guys for the feedback!
Well to answer the question about why an adventure bike and not a touring bike instead.
I had the opportunity to tour several times on a V-Strom and coming from a sportbike background, was really, really impressed with the bike's capabilities. You can litterally eat the tires to the very edge in corners, no issues whatsoever.
Plus, I really liked the upright, natural position. Also and importantly, an adventure type motorcycle eats up the bumps, cracks and holes in the roads we have like no touring bike can.
I cutrently ride a VFR1200. It is an amazing motorcycle, but after an hour in the saddle, I get so tensed between the shoulder blades (old injury) that it ends up in a headache. I want back to the straight up position that I liked on both the Tiger and V-Strom, but with a bit more power than the Strom and with a shaft drive.
How are the vibrations on the Tenere when cruising at 120-140 Km/h?
Where is this that the bike starts to loose it's composure/comfort zone both handling and engine wise?
Thanks guys, you are the best! :-)
(I was very sad that the Tiger didn't suit me. I thought it would be everything the V-Strom was and then some, but the handling killed it for me)
The VFR1200 has an amazing motor and a Honda Crosstourer may be a better choice if it is available where you are. The motor on the S10 is ok but nothing to get excited about. The overall package is excellent but if I had the Crosstourer available when I bought the S10 I may have made a different purchase.

I came from an FJR1300 and find the S10 way more comfortable and corners better as well. I am 6'3" so I like the extra height and comfort on the S10. I thought the stock seat was ok but than I ordered a Corbin and all I can say is "WOW". It is now all day comfortable.

Passenger accommodations are pretty good and my wife has not complained at all.

I changed the windscreen out to an adjustable one and it works great. Overall protection on the upper torso is very good but from the knees down you have a fair amount of exposure to the elements.

Overall, it is an excellent bike.

bmac screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 12:03 PM
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote