Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
opticalmace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
New rider - Ride home from dealership? (pic included!)

edit: I got it delivered, have put on 500 miles and for me it was the right decision! Update on page 2.

Hello,

I am a new Canadian rider. I took the safety course last August and passed. I wasn't able to purchase a bike in the fall but I recently found a nice deal on a 2012 Ninja 250R at a local dealership recommended by a friend of mine.

The dealership is about a 30-minute drive away. My friend (who rides) thinks I should just jump in the deep end and ride it home. I am open to it but I figured I would ask for your opinions. The other option would be getting the shop to deliver it for me to my home.

The shop is in the countryside a bit (60km/h speed limit), but I would have to drive on some 2-lane city roads on the way home. I live in the family housing of a university so there is a bit of traffic near my home anyway. It is not obvious to me which is best.

Should I just ride it home or get it delivered? I have all of my safety gear. Thanks!

P.S. I know you guys love pictures so here she is:

opticalmace screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 05:19 PM
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
If you're comfortable riding it home from the dealership then do so. You've got to start riding it on the street at some point after all.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
If you're smart enough to have all your riding gear already, smart enough to have taken your safety course, and smart enough to start out with a 250cc bike... Then I'd say you're smart enough to ride it home.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse v View Post
If you're smart enough to have all your riding gear already, smart enough to have taken your safety course, and smart enough to start out with a 250cc bike... Then I'd say you're smart enough to ride it home.
Yup.

Well done on starting on a proper sized bike. That puts you ahead of many/most male riders, it appears.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
Smart looking bike for a smart rider. One can assume you know somebody that rides and can carry you out to the dealer on their bike. Then you have a riding buddy to follow all the way home.

PS...take the long way home.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Skyway6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
well i want to add that op is in Ontario. it is winter there, recently had a huge snow storm. Add in new rider, cold tires/new tires and street with possible ice/snow patches. Then there is all the snow melt/road grime/salt that will get into all the shiney underbits of that bike. if they are offering to deliver bike i would take that option.
Skyway6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,181
Road salt is not friendly to motorcycles. Even dry and dusty, it clings and will begin the corrosion....
Old 03-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
In mid-late spring through early fall, I would suggest doing some familiarization in the parking lot and once you feel comfortable with it, ride it home.

Given that it is March, and you're in Canada, I would not do it unless you've recently had some rain to clear the salt crap from the road, and you're getting some unseasonably warm temperatures so the pavement is a bit warmer. See if they'll either deliver it, or hold it for you 'til April/May (whenever it warms up a bit and rains the road salt/contaminants away). Even then, be careful on the new tires, they can be a little slick at first.

Nice bike, btw, that should serve you well, get good mpg, and be entertaining to boot. A bike doesn't have to have a ton of HP to leave a big grin on your face.

the_sandman_454 screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 03:56 PM
the_sandman_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Skyway6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
Given that it is March, and you're in Canada,

Nice bike, btw, that should serve you well, get good mpg, and be entertaining to boot. A bike doesn't have to have a ton of HP to leave a big grin on your face.

Well, generally speaking, March and Canada are not good riding times. but here we can usually ride year round. While the SoCal riders will probably disagree but temps are 10c/50f here and great riding as long as it is sunny. Which being here (in a temperate rain forest) and winter it rains almost every day.

and ps. yes. congrats op on new bike. nice colour. (color for you yanks :) )
i picked up a CBR250r in Oct 2011. Still having fun but looking at a new ride for 2014.

oh and yes it is warm here compared to rest of Canada. even have palm trees. (google street view pic as proof :) http://goo.gl/maps/P1v3A )
Skyway6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
If the last time you rode was when you took the class then you might want to consider having it delivered (if it's free) or having a buddy who rides ride it home for you.

But it really gets down to how confident you feel in your riding skills so, in the end, it's up to you.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 879
Nice machine!

When I bought my first bike, the only riding I had under my belt was the course. I wasn't comfortable at all riding it home (truck routes, etc) so I swallowed my pride and asked a buddy of mine with a ton of experience to ride it home for me. The next day was a Saturday - I took some side roads and spent the better part of the day riding around empty roads and empty parking lots just to get used to it.

Another thing I'd consider is the cold/salt/sand factor. Nothing like seeing rust spring up overnight to put a damper on things.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
opticalmace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Thanks for the suggestions guys. You're right, I was going to wait for the weather to warm up a bit and rain to wash off the salt (hopefully before April, but I can wait until then if need be).

And yeah, haven't ridden since the course in August, but I picked it up pretty quickly at the time. I'll have to ponder it a bit.

I appreciate the feedback.
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
In addition to what has been stated, I'd add;
How familiar are you with the roads and traffic between your home and the dealer? And what choices might you have for the route?

What I am getting at is that traffic on various roads tends to have it's own rhythm, if you are used to driving those roads then you'll know what to expect when you're in the unfamiliar situation of driving the bike.
OTH, if the road is new to you, and the bike is new to you, and riding any bike is new to you, then you may want to consider other methods of getting it home. Doesn't have to be delivery, could be riding along with someone experienced, who is willing to let you set your pace.

It's easy to minimalize your situation, but there is a big difference between taking the class, then getting on your bike, in real traffic for the first time. Even though all of us have BTDT, it's different for everybody.

No matter what you decide though, good on you for thinking about it
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
RIDE RIDE RIDE
Old 03-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Ride it. Isn't that what you bought it for? Get a friend (car or bike) to follow you.

It also sounds like the country roads around the dealer could be better for your first warm up than traffic around a university.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote