Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #1846
Dee Cee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Question Timing Chain Replacement.

Hi all,
my 2003 LC4 Adv has 62,000 klms on it so I was thinking that I should change the timing chain and how to do the job? Is it an endless chain or can I feed the new chain as I pull out the old one. If endless I presume that I have to takr out clutch etc on the left side of the motor for access to the btm timing gear. Any clues or links to this imfo would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #1847
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 208
Need some thoughts on a little issue on my LC4, well it's not an issue really, but when I start it, and go driving, within 20-50m, it stops responding to gas. I turn off the engine and start it up again and it run fine like nothing happened. It will only do this after starting up and it wont do this after.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Cee View Post
Hi all,
my 2003 LC4 Adv has 62,000 klms on it so I was thinking that I should change the timing chain and how to do the job? Is it an endless chain or can I feed the new chain as I pull out the old one. If endless I presume that I have to takr out clutch etc on the left side of the motor for access to the btm timing gear. Any clues or links to this imfo would be greatly appreciated.
According to the KTM workshop manual, you're going to have to remove the clutch, and the primary drive (the top end also, I don't think you have to take the cylinder off, someone correct me here if need be). Then you should do the following (this is picked from the workshop manual):

Lortdadu screwed with this post 09-14-2011 at 12:43 PM
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #1848
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Hi all,
As above, you need to take off the clutch etc, and the head. The chain is endless, no joiner.

BUT I would not bother at 60K km. I replaced mine at 50K km when I changed the cam & follower bearings as it seemed like a good idea, but when I compared the new & used camchains there was no difference. So unless your tensioner is running all the way out (check for wear where the ratchet engages to see) I would not bother with a new camchain untill around 100K when you will need a new piston, rod etc etc anyway.

At your mileage, (if you haven't already) what you should change is the cam follower roller bearings & the water pump bearings & seal. It's cheap & easy to do the cam bearings at the same time too, & your carb is probably getting due for a rebuild also.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #1849
Dee Cee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
[QUOTE=clint
At your mileage, (if you haven't already) what you should change is the cam follower roller bearings & the water pump bearings & seal. It's cheap & easy to do the cam bearings at the same time too, & your carb is probably getting due for a rebuild also.

Cheers
Clint[/QUOTE]
Yes I have done all of the above mentioned maintenance and the bike is running sweet, still uses no oil. Glad to hear that the timing chain is a long laster. I am in the motor at the moment looking for problems in the auto deco set up as this bike has always been hard to start when dead cold and I will be pulling out the starter sprag clutch as well. I have become pretty adapt at kicking it into life with the left leg over the last 4 years.

Dick.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #1850
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Yes I have done all of the above mentioned maintenance and the bike is running sweet, still uses no oil. Glad to hear that the timing chain is a long laster. I am in the motor at the moment looking for problems in the auto deco set up as this bike has always been hard to start when dead cold and I will be pulling out the starter sprag clutch as well. I have become pretty adapt at kicking it into life with the left leg over the last 4 years.

Dick.
Good luck. If you do want to check the camchain I measured up a new one for comparison, see here

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #1851
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Looking at new front forks atm, and I was wondering what the difference is between 43mm and 48mm WP fork legs. Most of the threads are about fork oil and fork settings, but I'd like to know the difference between these two models... Are they interchangeable? Like would I be able to swap 48mm legs on my bike if I had 43mm legs?
Old 09-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #1852
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
To swap out the 48's you would need the clamps axle and wheel too..
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #1853
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortdadu View Post
Looking at new front forks atm, and I was wondering what the difference is between 43mm and 48mm WP fork legs. Most of the threads are about fork oil and fork settings, but I'd like to know the difference between these two models... Are they interchangeable? Like would I be able to swap 48mm legs on my bike if I had 43mm legs?
My wp4860s came off a husaberg fe 650/550?,i had the wp 4357s on it before that,as stated you will need the berg tohad a p/bottom triple clamp and front wheel.The reason for the changeout was the 43mm forks had a gouge mark in them and it was cheaper to find a good s/hand set of 48s,dont seem to blow as many fork seals on the 48s either.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #1854
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Alright, thanks for the info. Is there some details from where I can see that which forks I have? One of my fork legs got bent today, so I guess I'm going to have to shell out a few stacks of $$$...

Oh, and I forgot to ask, which one of the forks has better qualities and in what ways if any? Would greatly appreciate this.

Lortdadu screwed with this post 09-16-2011 at 08:01 AM
Old 09-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #1855
endurists
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Clutch problems

We are back to basics. Yesterday changed WR426 to LC4 Adventure 98'
Everything is good except clutch things. When the engine is cold clutch catches very fast and at the end of lever, but when heats up is difficult to find neutral. Had before two LC4 and few RFS, bet never had problem like this.

What could it be? Intermediate (metalic) discs are glazed or wavy? Wrong oil? (Now according to previous owner must be MOTUL 300V). What else?

Kalvis
endurists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #1856
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,790
Hello Klavis,
I don't think the problem is oil. I could be that you just need to use the machine to loosen the plates. If that does not work I would lay the machine on it's side and remove the case cover and look inside.

The clutch comes apart easily and you won't have to drain the oil to check things out.

Be careful with the case gasket because it can tear. Use a sharp knife to loosen it.

You can also check the transmission main shaft bearing at the same time since they are known to fail. I think that could cause some of the problem you are having.
Many of us changed that bearing on the early Adventures.

I was in Latvia 3 years ago, your country is lovely, especially after 6 months in Russia.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #1857
endurists
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Hello Klavis,
I don't think the problem is oil. I could be that you just need to use the machine to loosen the plates. If that does not work I would lay the machine on it's side and remove the case cover and look inside.

The clutch comes apart easily and you won't have to drain the oil to check things out.

Be careful with the case gasket because it can tear. Use a sharp knife to loosen it.

You can also check the transmission main shaft bearing at the same time since they are known to fail. I think that could cause some of the problem you are having.
Many of us changed that bearing on the early Adventures.

I was in Latvia 3 years ago, your country is lovely, especially after 6 months in Russia.

bill

Hello BMWKTMBILL! Allmost every country after Russia will look the best place on earth! Where did You spend these 3 months?

I already had LC4 Adventrure 98' and also split cases because right main was bad, secondary shaft was gone and also countershaft bearings was bad. I will try to loosen plates will tell about results :)

Kalvis
endurists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #1858
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,790
Kalvis, I rode my mc from Vladivostok to Latvia via Moscow, Mongolia and the Biakal.

I saw plenty of drunk Russian men and beutiful Russian women...and...lots of gravel road on the unfinished highway paralleling the Trans-Russia railroad.

Russians are trouble.
Russian cities are ugly.

Latvia was like the new world after 6 months in Russia.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #1859
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,847
I am looking for a set of LC4 Rallye rear tanks?
Anyone ??????????????
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #1860
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,696
You could probably find them, hope you have deep pockets.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote