User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #1876
Topcontender
n00b

Oddometer: 9
02 LC4 640E - Pics

New to the forum and wanted to show some new pics of my new to me 02 KTM 640 LC4(E). Added some farkles such as a rear rack, center stand, fold away mirrors, stashbox, etc. Changed oil, new oil filter, Twin air filter, and she runs perfect... 4,810 miles now!
Attached Images

Topcontender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #1877
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcontender View Post
New to the forum and wanted to show some new pics of my new to me 02 KTM 640 LC4(E). Added some farkles such as a rear rack, center stand, fold away mirrors, stashbox, etc. Changed oil, new oil filter, Twin air filter, and she runs perfect... 4,810 miles now!
That used LC4 is almost as spotless as that new garage!

congratulations of course on both - MP

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #1878
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,046
I ran across a UK site with some awesome LC4 graphics. But I don't remember the site now

Think I found it thru KTMTalk
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #1879
evilmaker
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi there,

Iam from germany and I brought a KTM LC4 640 Prestige about 3 weeks ago. Because the german forum is overrun by trolls I wanted to ask right here about some help.

Ive had the machine at a local dealer for KTM to check it and he replaced some "bearings" on the camshaft. I dont know exactly how it is called in english. After that he told me that the engine sounds like "shit" ... I was really confused by what he meant so he told me that he thinks, that my crankshaft bearings are dead or the bearings of the piston rod. Quickly after that he told me that I can give the engine to them to repair it for me for 1500 - 2000€ .

Ive brought the motorcycle for 3000€ (its from the year 2007 and has 11.000km on the clock). I cant afford the money to repair it at the local store. I have nearly finished my mechanical engineer studies (Bachelor of science) at my University and here goes the question:

How hard is it to take the engine out, take it apart and search for dead parts? Can I exchange the crankshaft bearings on my own or should I give it to an expert? Is it worth keepingn the KTM? The mech told me that I could still drive around 3000km till everything will break apart and I thought about selling it.

Ive tried to read as many topics as I could so Ive seen that I also should check the oil pump and exchange all the bearings in the engine. What type of special tools do I need?

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me right now because I actually wanted to drive the last weeks before winter and now Iam stuck with a dead motorcycle...

Greetings, Tim
evilmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #1880
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 210
Hi Evilmaker! Welcome to the forums!

What year model is that bike? If it's prior to 2003, then there is a main shaft bearing problem, and the bearing under the clutch basket is not of the best quality. KTM changed the type of bearing on 2003 models and up, and you can also get that bearing for models prior to 2003. Check out these threads, might be worth checking the bearing. You should have no problem with the main bearing if it's 2003+ model.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73558

The engine is not at all hard to work with. You can get the clutch, cylinder and on the right side the magneto out without removing the engine from the frame! *Great, eh? *

This saves you a lot of hassle when doing repairs.

I've done all repairs by myself, saved a load of cash, and the results have been good. I highly doubt that you have to change all bearings in the engine at the mileage, even 2 stroke engines bearings last longer than 10000km . You should pull the engine out when you feel you've got the time, and money to get the spare parts. Start off for example by taking the clutch out, inspecting the bearings and gears there and see if you can spot a problem there, then you should start working your way down from the cylinder to see if you find any problems in the timing and valve area. You can find out if your bearings on the crankshaft and conrod have gone bad by moving the conrod up and down (do not roll it as if the piston were to rotate, but wiggle it) and you should not feel a lot of movement on the bearings. If you don't find a problem there, take out the engine, split it and see if you can spot any faults there.

I'm pretty sure you should fix that, since the LC4's are great fun!

Hope you get it fixed!
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #1881
trevor2k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Wheel Recommendations

Need some opinions on wheels. My riding is usually fast on desert dirt roads, and inevitably I will hit a fist to 10"-sized rock at speed. I keep damaging my factory DID's, making the pavement to and from the trail a nightmare. I guess I need to quit avoiding the expense and get some heavier-duty rims.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Keep the factory hub and lace a new Rim? Factory spokes or aftermarket? Or new hubs and rims?

Also, I have been running the front at 16-18psi. Any thoughts on that?

General Info:
2000 LC4 400
WP 50mm Extreme front end
Pirelli MT21 Rallycross Tires F&R
trevor2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #1882
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmaker View Post
Hi there,

Iam from germany and I brought a KTM LC4 640 Prestige about 3 weeks ago. Because the german forum is overrun by trolls I wanted to ask right here about some help.

Ive had the machine at a local dealer for KTM to check it and he replaced some "bearings" on the camshaft. I dont know exactly how it is called in english. After that he told me that the engine sounds like "shit" ... I was really confused by what he meant so he told me that he thinks, that my crankshaft bearings are dead or the bearings of the piston rod. Quickly after that he told me that I can give the engine to them to repair it for me for 1500 - 2000€ .
LC4 motors sound pretty bad when they are in perfect condition, but a KTM dealer should know the difference. To have anything wrong at 11K km is unusual, has the bike been run without oil or something? I would want to discover the root cause of the trouble before spending too much money, a replacement used motor may be a cheaper option.

It is relatively easy to strip the head & take off the cylinder so you can check the rod & crank bearings. The only special tools you need for that is a DTI to measure bearing play & a torque wrench for reassembly.

As Lortdadu says, it's easy to check the clutch & oil pumps & everything on the left side of the motor. With yours being a 2007 the mainshaft bearing should be ok.

To split & reassemble the cases is more difficult (but as a mechanical engineer you should be ok) & you will need some special tools. Check out my rebuild thread, also do a search for those by gunnerbuck & Tseta.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #1883
evilmaker
n00b

Thanks in advance guys - I REALLY appreciate your help!!

Actually my machine is build in the year 2003 but has seen the street the first time in the year 2007.

Would it help if I would make a video of the engine running so you guys can maybe hear something?

Problem is that the seller sold me the KTM without any damage and the KTM store told me that I could have not heared the bearing problem - dunno why. Thought the engine is running quite well...

I know that the pre owner actually has driven with old oil. Maybe this could be the cause?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #1884
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
...(but as a mechanical engineer you should be ok)...
That’s not always true. Don’t know about this guy, but I once worked with a young guy that was a degreed ME. Everyone seemed to think he was sooo smart. Especially him!
I spent hours & hours working on the POS simple early 1970s cars that he bought. Most of the time being spent explaining things to him or trying to explain why his 'theories' & the way he wanted to do something were wrong & that I knew what I was talking about.
Everything took 3-4 times as long as it should have. The guy had no clue. Apparently no hands on experience working on anything mechanical.
His being the son of a rich doctor might have explained why that was.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:01 AM   #1885
evilmaker
n00b

Thats a commong problem with studied engineers :-). Dont worry - my parents arent rich and I have started my studies because I repaired mostly everything home as I was younger. Rebuilded scooter engines and so on . Though you are right in a way - the practical experience isnt that much present as the theoretical :-).
Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #1886
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Would it help if I would make a video of the engine running so you guys can maybe hear something?
A video is always helpful, then we can also try and diagnose if there is any problem by the sound.
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #1887
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,288
Wink

Quote:
Dont worry -

It was nothing against you. That guy just happened to be on my mind from something in another forum. Good luck!
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #1888
evilmaker
n00b

Just made a video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucVa3Ymj4gM

Maybe someone can hear something?!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #1889
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,430
Cry

Quote:
Just made a video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucVa3Ymj4gM

Maybe someone can hear something?!
That's sounds just like mine did when the connecting rod went out.

Change the oil and send us pictures of the drain plug magnets. I cleaned mine then replaced all filters and fresh oil. 25 miles later I did it again. There were a lot of metal shavings on the magnets.

Went in for a rebuild. $2146 later. All new piston, rings, gaskets, seals. Everything!!

She runs like a top! Less vibes to boot!!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #1890
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,046
$2100

Hope mine stays together.
When I ride with folks that have not heard an LC4 run they always ask what is wrong with it

They can be a bit vocal even when they are running fine.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote