Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #2656
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortdadu View Post
Oh yes, in terms of finding a gear that wouldn't accelerate from a slight twitch in the gas, mission impossible!

I started wondering, how fast do your bikes slow down when you pull in the clutch and just let it roll on neutral? I've noticed that for example when I pull in the clutch at 60kmph, after a slight moment, I can be down to 50kmph. I'm just wondering about this, since my previous bike rolled on for quite a while before it started to slow down significantly due to air resistance etc... Might have to check the wheel bearings.
It happen once to me that the front brake calipers got unaligned after a tyre repair, and I felt it immediately once I rode the bike (fortunately).

And yes, do check the bearings. I have just change them, both wheels. They showed no proper axial movement and also certain resistance to let me advance with the bike . I felt it moving it inside my garage, then I put the center stand, wife and kids at the end of the seat and front wheel was not rolling happily.
After 50.000kms (31.250mi), they were smashed
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #2657
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Valve adjustment

After carefully reading Creeper's guide, I put the engine at TDC, checked the mark under the clutch cover and then proceeded with the valve clearance adjustment. Apparently all four were very much out of spec, I had to turn the screws more than two full "twists" to reach the 0.15 the manual states. Started the bike ... and an awful noise was the result, valves out of spec. I adjusted both intake/exhaust valves at the same time so the other wasn't affected.
What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something? Maybe the auto decomp is causing trouble? The engine run perfectly ok before, and even the camshaft ( new, came with new auto decompressor ) and bearings have only 3k kms. on them.
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #2658
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
After carefully reading Creeper's guide, I put the engine at TDC, checked the mark under the clutch cover and then proceeded with the valve clearance adjustment. Apparently all four were very much out of spec, I had to turn the screws more than two full "twists" to reach the 0.15 the manual states. Started the bike ... and an awful noise was the result, valves out of spec. I adjusted both intake/exhaust valves at the same time so the other wasn't affected.
What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something? Maybe the auto decomp is causing trouble? The engine run perfectly ok before, and even the camshaft ( new, came with new auto decompressor ) and bearings have only 3k kms. on them.
you had to have done something wrong. you should never have to loosen that many turns to adjust the valves.

you need to go back in and try again. don't worry. it took me a couple tries the first time i adjusted mine. once you get it though, you will never have issues again.

to find TDC-C the trick i do is;

1) watch intake valves while turning the rear wheel. once the intake valves compress and begin to release, you know you are on the compression stroke.

2) remove plug (if you haven't already) and get a plastic drink straw. lower this into cylinder, then turn wheel again. you will see the straw rising into the air as the piston rises in the cylinder. stop when its at it's highest

3) double check by using the sight glass on the right side of the engine. you will see a timing mark inside the little sight glass if you are at the right spot. adjust as needed with the rear wheel.

4) check and make sure you can "wiggle" the rocker arms and no pressure is being placed on them. if you can't, you have done something wrong and need to go back to step 1.

now you can measure your gap. some people use the crank locking bolt at this point to keep the engine from turning. if you are changing your oil this is cool, if not you cant access it easily. just make sure you check to see that the timing mark is still good after, and before each adjustment.

take your time, double check everything. you will figure it out.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #2659
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 213
Follow Laramie's suggestion, but for the straw, make sure it's long enough to not fall in! You'll have one hell of a time trying to get a straw out of the barrel.

KTM LC4 400 2002 - Military version
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #2660
nochain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Reposting here> Need advice on tires!!!!!

Hi I am about to get a new set of tires for my newly purchased 2003 SXC625. I am intending to use this bike on the highways to get to the trails/desert. I live in Arizona. I am not an aggressive or very experienced rider in the dirt. I plan to do short day trips mostly until I hook up with someone.

I grew up years ago riding 125cc's and have been riding street for the last 20 years or more. I am looking more for trails and general tooling around fun.

So i am looking for a tire that can handle the street 65MPH and good enough to take on trails etc.

Thanks for your inputs on some new shoes...........
nochain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #2661
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochain View Post
Hi I am about to get a new set of tires for my newly purchased 2003 SXC625. I am intending to use this bike on the highways to get to the trails/desert. I live in Arizona. I am not an aggressive or very experienced rider in the dirt. I plan to do short day trips mostly until I hook up with someone.

I grew up years ago riding 125cc's and have been riding street for the last 20 years or more. I am looking more for trails and general tooling around fun.

So i am looking for a tire that can handle the street 65MPH and good enough to take on trails etc.

Thanks for your inputs on some new shoes...........
The Mitas EO- 9 is one of the best all around tires for the 640 and they are now available in the 140/80x 18 size... Out of the more agressive tires I've ran the Mitas had the longest lifespan I had one set go for 8500 km...

Michelin T-63s closely mimic the Mitas {probably same factory} but do not seem to last as long, both times I used them they lasted about 4500KM as to where the Mitas are good for 5000- 6000 KM...

Metzler Karoos are nice, mainly because they are available in the 140 size which seems to suit the 640 better than 130s, the drawback is they don't last that long, the 2 I ran averaged only about 4000 KM...

Dunlop 908- I very much liked this tire for all around use, it did surprisingly on the well on tarmac and gave me about 5500KMs of life... The real drawback is the cost, otherwise I would run them all the time...

Conti TKC 80 Great tire but short lifespan, the 1 of these I ran was totally shot by 4000 KM... Not good when you do the price VS mileage thing...

Maxxis 6006- I ran a few of these and found them to be pretty good all around though a little noisy on tarmac... They averaged about 5000km... I don't think they are available any more with the Maxxis name, now look for CS tire...

Kenda 270 rear A good bang for the buck, a little squirmy on pavement but is something you get used to... Average mileage and not too bad off pavement... If I see one of these on the shelf when I'm tire shopping I'll usually pick it up... 270s up front are scary..

IRC GP 1 A lot like the 270 but better on tarmac...

MT 21 Generally a good tire for the front but seem to wear quickly on the back... I have found that these tires can suffer in the heat... I have seen a new tire on in the morning be destroyed by afternoon from the combo of high temps and choppy roads on a regular dual sport ride...

VRM 147 One of the best bangs for the buck.. It has a tread profile similar to the MT 21 but seems to last a bit longer... Good all around tire and fairly inexpensive at $50- $80...

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 07:36 PM
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2662
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
The Mitas EO- 9 is one of the best all around tires for the 640 and they are now available in the 140/80x 18 size.....
Available from where?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #2663
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,267
jeez Gunner, you've seen your share of tires, I really like the 908/606 combo and yes it's pricey.

A few of the crew got your boy Travis sorted too, the thread I started had 3 pages up by the time I got back to it
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #2664
nochain
Adventurer

Thanks those are great inputs Gunner!

I heard that the Contis TKC80's (my top choice so far) are very good on the road. how do the Mitas EO-9 compare on the street and dirt? The Mitas EO-9 look real nice!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #2665
nochain
Adventurer

Found a local Distributor for Mitas but it does not look like they are carried by any of the typical tire online shops here in the states?????
Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #2666
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Wow ! That's a lot of tires ! Great input !

I had the T-63s on the 640-E. They didn't seem to last that long. I replaced them at 2K miles.

I had MT-21-s on my XR600. They were good in the dirt and seemed to last longer.

Currently I have the IRC TR8 Battle Rally tires on F&B. They're good on both street and the dirt. Not sure how long they'll last.
"Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive." - AntiHero ADV Rider
Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #2667
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Available from where?
140/80 x 18 available Mid May from these people:http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-dualsport-tires/

DSBC thread:
http://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/sh...ITAS-Tire-News
Old 04-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #2668
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
jeez Gunner, you've seen your share of tires, I really like the 908/606 combo and yes it's pricey.

A few of the crew got your boy Travis sorted too, the thread I started had 3 pages up by the time I got back to it
Hi Mike, you folks on the rock are getting a rep, people will be coming from all over just to break down on your Island... Good on you...
Old 04-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #2669
nochain
Adventurer

actually the E10's look pretty good for what I was thinking. They remind me of the TKC80's. I need tires in a week......
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #2670
Saronkhye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi, I have recently replaced the rear wheel bearings on my 02 adv. I didn't need to replace the Cush bearing as it was fine.
at the same time we replaced my mates rear wheel bearings, whilst replacing his cush bearings there was 2 bearings side by side 07 Adv. When checking parts site online it has this as 1 bearing only. What I am after if everyone just replaces there Cush bearing with 2 bearings or buy the original bearing.
Cheers
Saronkhye is offline   Reply With Quote