User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #3016
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,040
Nope, the heavy stocker.

There were many changes I had planned for the bike, but I have gotten caught up riding, and everything works so well I just leave it alone.

And I have at times (yesterday for one) taken it some stupid places.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #3017
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,871
I tried to leave mine alone. It ran like chit when I bought it. OP had the carb messed up. Typical complaints you read in the LC4 sticky. I pulled the carb and gave it a good sonic soaking. While ordering parts, the guy at JD Jetting told me that the BST40 needs to be rebuilt about every 5-6 thousand miles. He hit it right on the head. At 5500mi. the slide, slide guide and mj needle were groved pretty bad. Never seen a carb with a plastic slide before. Even with new parts, it's still a dog. I can't be a slave to this thing and throw 70-80$ at it every 5k mi. Weather or not I replace the exhaust remains to be seen, but the carb has got to go.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #3018
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Interesting issue today in the garage. I was starting to do a valve adjustment by finding TDC, but at TDC the valves are still very tight. The only way I could get past this issue was to be a couple degrees off of TDC in both directions. Is this normal or WTF is going on, never seen it before. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #3019
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,225
I'm no expert but I think it's normal.
Mine did the same thing.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #3020
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpacman13 View Post
Interesting issue today in the garage. I was starting to do a valve adjustment by finding TDC, but at TDC the valves are still very tight. The only way I could get past this issue was to be a couple degrees off of TDC in both directions. Is this normal or WTF is going on, never seen it before. Thanks.
Sounds to me like you're at top dead center on the exhaust stroke, not the compression stroke. Otherwise it's WTF. Rotate the engine 360 degrees (as indicated by the timing mark on the flywheel) and check again.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #3021
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,774
With the bike in top gear and the rear wheel off the ground remove the spark plug and place a drinking straw in the hole to help you confirm TDC.

The easier way is to take advantage of the sight glass on the stator side of the engine. Rotate the rear wheel-still in top gear until you see a plainly visible notch in the flywheel as you shine a bright flashlight into the site glass.

Dirty
Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #3022
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
It was definitely TDC with spark plug out etc. I had to move it slightly off of the notch to get the valves to go slack. So WTF. Damn
Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #3023
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
the guy at JD Jetting told me that the BST40 needs to be rebuilt about every 5-6 thousand miles.
That's pretty extreme. Yep, the BST is notorious for needle/jet/slide/slide-guide wear, but if all those parts are new it should stay good for a lot longer than 5-6 thousand miles.

Mine has had only the needle jet replaced at 40,000km (should have been 30) and now has 50,000km and runs sweet as. I will probably replace all the aforementioned parts at 60,000km. This seems fairly typical; a far cry from replacement every 8-10,000km as you suggest.

My slide and guide appeared "scuffed" but not "grooved"; that is, nothing you can catch a fingernail on. If you are getting that kind of wear, then perhaps start looking for dust ingress.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #3024
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

My bike ran great at 26,000 miles, but the parts showed wear, so I rebuilt the carb with new slide/guide/emulsion tube/needle. Those parts may have been replaced before I bought the bike, but they had been in there for at least 12,000 miles.

My bike isn't a dog, either, and it gets around 50 mpg. . . running a significantly larger main jet than most on here, apparently (now I can't remember what it is, I think it's a 162.5). Works for me, so I'm not changing it.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #3025
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,871
Dunno guys. The only thing on the list that I didn't change was the main jet and emulsion tube, and I couldn't see anything wrong with them. As far as the grooving goes, like warewolf said, "dust ingress" Mine wasn't just scuffed, it was chowed out. As covered in the sticky, there is a filter on the port that equalizes the top of the diaphram. Thats where the dirt gets in. Can't plug it, so what to do then? You guys that report high miles with little wear, how much dust do you ride in? And how often do you clean your air filters? Just curious, but I think I might be on to something.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #3026
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Dunno guys. The only thing on the list that I didn't change was the main jet and emulsion tube, and I couldn't see anything wrong with them. As far as the grooving goes, like warewolf said, "dust ingress" Mine wasn't just scuffed, it was chowed out. As covered in the sticky, there is a filter on the port that equalizes the top of the diaphram. Thats where the dirt gets in. Can't plug it, so what to do then? You guys that report high miles with little wear, how much dust do you ride in? And how often do you clean your air filters? Just curious, but I think I might be on to something.
Not that much dust, you may be right, I often ride alone, and 50/50 street/dirt.

Derek, the Motolab guy who is a BST guru, reports that carbs with the slide holes drilled out larger will wear much faster- not sure if your carb has that. Asking these questions in the big BST-40 thread may get some more views/opinions.

ktm
old bmw
others
Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #3027
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob

Oddometer: 577
totalled my SXC - some LC4 parts on flea market

FYI all. I have some 04 625 SXC parts over on Flea Market...

I want to thank all the LC4 people who have helped me with my SXC over the past couple of years. You guys in this thread have been invaluable and so helpful. Unfortunately, my SXC was totalled and I am not riding anymore. maybe we'll cross paths some day in the future. It's time for me to learn how to surf...
MNCherryinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #3028
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,040
Sorry to hear your bike was totaled.
I have two that I couldn't replace with new if they were crashed, the LC4 and SD.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #3029
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,152
My cam roller bearing just failed, need a new one of those and a new cam. Still got me home, or at least to where my buddy picked me up.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #3030
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
My cam roller bearing just failed, need a new one of those and a new cam. Still got me home, or at least to where my buddy picked me up.
How many miles?